cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Flash Sale, SIM free or not?

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi,

Got the email announcement of the Flash Sale, the English text reads "Get your next 30 days of service for $0!", while the French text says "Obtenez une carte SIM et 30 jours de service à 0 $!". My French isn't that great, but I think that roughly translates to "Get a SIM card and 30 days of service at $0....

So, which is it, is the SIM free or not? (Or is only free if you speak French Smiley Happy ?)

Since it the email went out as an offer in both languages, doesn't the better of the two have to be honoured?

35 REPLIES 35

@JaK wrote:

It's so nice that you all have found a place to discuss Walmart sales practices and posting ediquette, but maybe you should start other threads on those topics instead of hijacking this one...  Not one person has addressed my question, or even discussed it, and still waiting for the @CS_Agent to weigh in as I believe it needs to be them.

Again, the point is that the offer in French is better than the offer in English, probably because they just took the French text from last December's promotion without realizing it was different and that they were also offering a free SIM in it. But IMO it doesn't matter why the French was different, since they put it out they should stand by the  offer.

Get your next 30 days of service for $0! 

Obtenez une carte SIM et 30 jours de service à 0 $!

Apologies for hijacking your thread. I think I kind of started it when I was private messaged as to where I had read about your discovery or at least your posted response to it. As someone had said it's up to a new customer to ask for a credit towards the cost of their SIM. Advertising standards and practices dictates that you would have to honour the announcement of it whether or not it's in French only or not. I'm the type who would lead the charge alas I missed the flash sale and activated a few days before. However I did eventually get a refund from London drugs by asking for a retroactive price match. It only takes one to ask.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JaK wrote:

It's so nice that you all have found a place to discuss Walmart sales practices and posting ediquette, but maybe you should start other threads on those topics instead of hijacking this one...  Not one person has addressed my question, or even discussed it, and still waiting for the @CS_Agent to weigh in as I believe it needs to be them.

Again, the point is that the offer in French is better than the offer in English, probably because they just took the French text from last December's promotion without realizing it was different and that they were also offering a free SIM in it. But IMO it doesn't matter why the French was different, since they put it out they should stand by the  offer.

Wow. You're absolutely right. No one said to contact the moderator. But you did. As they are the only ones that can make it right. So all you can do now is wait for them to resolve the issue. They certainly should stand by their wording.

JaK

About a few things brought up in this thread:

When editing a post, Oracles are supposed to inform the community/the member involved of it, whether inside the message itself, or in a reply.  Now, if a message is replied to 10 times with the offending material being quoted each time, I might not explain the editting each time.  This is across the board, whether a message gets edited on behalf of a brand new user who joined today or for someone who has been here for 5 years.

As for the referral codes:

Referral codes are not be posted anywhere in the Community where they can be publicly seen.  I would imagine that many people do share codes, but it's done privately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Good grief Charlie Brown! How did I get here. I apologise that in only learning the quote box function in the last hour or so may added to confusion in solicited or unsolicited  offerings. This post addressing all of the last dozen or so..... I will try to do better in the future.

It's just culture. Every forum has it's culture. Some places have rules (T&C's). Some places have rules of thumb. When new to a forum, you will bang up against those cultures wherein you learn about them. And abide by them.

Good grief Charlie Brown! How did I get here. I apologise that in only learning the quote box function in the last hour or so may added to confusion in solicited or unsolicited  offerings. This post addressing all of the last dozen or so..... I will try to do better in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

I think it's pretty slimy if PMs are being used to trade referrals. Either it should be open and allowed on the forums or not allowed anywhere, including PMs.

There is a perfectly good alternative public forum for obtaining/providing referrals. If it's against the rules here, it should be against the rules. Period.

There is the unsolicited offering of your referral code and then there's someone asking for one. SD08 replied to someone asking for one. I don't have a problem with that and I don't think this place has a problem with that. I do think it's slimy to jump on a new arrival with hey use my referral code...all backchannel. No. Wait to be asked. But I'm just little ol' me here. What do I know.

Just to be clear @SD08 ...I was not complaining about Jb456...just pointing out a possible hypocrisy/unfair treatment.

That's what I did was innocently answer a request..? That is a no no. To be clear @ShawnC13  so emphatically taught me.

I didn't see the crime. The preferred idea is to see someone post an open invite for someone to provide them with their code and then to reply in a pm providing your code. Not openly. Not unsolicited. I've managed to acquire all of 2 referrals that way. It's just luck to refresh the page, see the invite, reply in pm, hope you were chosen of the flood of pm's the poster likely got.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Walmart offering free sim with activation ( free sim deal expires the 18th I think)

Be sure to get a friend's referral code so you can get the referral bonus. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry I answered you earlier in this thread but just learned how to use the quote button. Now if I knew how to link my answer with this one I would be moving forward by leaps and bounds.

So it begs the question...why wasn't Jb456 given the same treatment?

I dont want to get anyone else in trouble....tried to use humor to deal with situation but that went over like a lead brick. So the public and private apologies ensued....i wouldn't want Jb456 to go thru that.

@darlicious  @Anonymous 

I've just now noticed the mention of the personal referral code and deleted the relevant line.

Just to take this to the ridiculous extreme...are you going to edit subsequent quotes of that original post? I don't care. Just to be complete is all. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

I think it's pretty slimy if PMs are being used to trade referrals. Either it should be open and allowed on the forums or not allowed anywhere, including PMs.

There is a perfectly good alternative public forum for obtaining/providing referrals. If it's against the rules here, it should be against the rules. Period.

There is the unsolicited offering of your referral code and then there's someone asking for one. SD08 replied to someone asking for one. I don't have a problem with that and I don't think this place has a problem with that. I do think it's slimy to jump on a new arrival with hey use my referral code...all backchannel. No. Wait to be asked. But I'm just little ol' me here. What do I know.

Just to be clear @SD08 ...I was not complaining about Jb456...just pointing out a possible hypocrisy/unfair treatment.

That's what I did was innocently answer a request..? That is a no no. To be clear @ShawnC13  so emphatically taught me.

@Jb456 wrote:

@darlicious 

Are you talking about my post yesterday about if the person needed a referral code?..Im new to posting here to (although Ive had my account for while) I only started posting about a week ago. I do not know the terms & conditions of these forums. Which is why I clearly wrote "MODS delete/modify if not allowed"

What I did learn this last week of posting is that Oracles can also modify posts. I am sure they read my post and had every opportunity to modify it in the last 30 or so hours that it has been up. They did not so I guess I am withing the terms/conditions of posting. 

Speaking of terms/conditions are Oracles allowed to private message people their referral code??? Cause one did 5 hours ago!

Screenshot_20190908_235519.jpg

This was in response to a person asking for a referral.  It is not a member posting/offering their referral link.  There is a difference

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JackQuint wrote:

Hopefully it's clear so no one else gets in "trouble" public forum mention of personal referral codes for offer is strictly forbidden.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@SD08 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Walmart offering free sim with activation ( free sim deal expires the 18th I think)

Be sure to get a friend's referral code so you can get the referral bonus. If you don't know someone on PM I could give you my referral code (mods not sure if it's allowed to offer referral code please edit my post if it's not allowed)

Sorry I answered you earlier in this thread but just learned how to use the quote button. Now if I knew how to link my answer with this one I would be moving forward by leaps and bounds.

I dont want to get anyone else in trouble....tried to use humor to deal with situation but that went over like a lead brick. So the public and private apologies ensued....i wouldn't want Jb456 to go thru that.

@darlicious  @Anonymous 

I've just now noticed the mention of the personal referral code and deleted the relevant line.

Oh does this make 3 of us? ShawnC13 made a note about all the oracles having made an agreement or such about editting post in contravention to the terms of service.  I'm sorry but I felt I got singled out but I capitulated and apologised. Don't want to take you to task but is this normal treatment for new users...seeing as you're an oracle? Perspective? Thanks

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Be sure to get a friend's referral code so you can get the referral bonus. If you don't know someone on PM I could give you my referral code (mods not sure if it's allowed to offer referral code please edit my post if it's not allowed)

Ok weird.. i was responding to Jb456 post about oracle referrals via private message and it disappeared. Oh no probably one  more contravention. So to sum it up. Whether requested or not while you are on the community you cannot publicly post the offer or or refer to offering in any way shape or form a referral code however it seems it's ok in a private message. Shawn C13 can correct me on this if I am wrong it deals with using the forum for personal  or commercial gain basically. ShawnC13 highlighted the portions of the terms of service for me and provided a link. You may want to review it if you haven't read it in awhile.

@darlicious 

Are you talking about my post yesterday about if the person needed a referral code?..Im new to posting here to (although Ive had my account for while) I only started posting about a week ago. I do not know the terms & conditions of these forums. Which is why I clearly wrote "MODS delete/modify if not allowed"

What I did learn this last week of posting is that Oracles can also modify posts. I am sure they read my post and had every opportunity to modify it in the last 30 or so hours that it has been up. They did not so I guess I am withing the terms/conditions of posting. 

Speaking of terms/conditions are Oracles allowed to private message people their referral code??? Cause one did 5 hours ago!

Screenshot_20190908_235519.jpg

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

@darlicious  @Anonymous 

@Psygineer wrote:

I watched one of the sales associates at Walmart today giving someone their "Free SIM" card and listened to them talking to the customer. It's Activate in store, pay for the SIM up front and get $10 off your first bill for the SIM. That sounds a lot like a Referral, so I stayed and watched, and sure enough the sales person typed in a Referal code (probably their own as the customer didn't tell them one). So maybe that is how people are getting their SIM's free at Walmart, the staff member is a PM customer themselves and just referring them?

I wouldn't have a so much of a problem with this if the customer knew this was going on. However, if the customer didn't have someone to refer him/her, this actually benefits the customer too.  Walmart's wireless department is supposed to allow customers to bring and use their own referral codes when coming in to activate Public Mobile service. Some Walmart location have been offering free sim cards and still did allow customers to use their own referral.

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Doubt it's a Walmart employee using their own referral code considering the RFD thread is apparently a free sim is available for signups from Public Mobile, ChatR & lucky mobile.

With lots of reports of people getting free sims at different Walmart locations there must be alot of Walmart employee that are PM clients to use their own referral lol.

The last post on that thread someone mentioned the process the Walmart employee has to enter in their system. Screenshot below.

Screenshot_20190908_235034.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Be sure to get a friend's referral code so you can get the referral bonus. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. @Jb456 wrote:

Be sure to get a friend's referral code so you can get the referral bonus. 

Edited by ShawnC: removed referral offer out of quoted message

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

I watched one of the sales associates at Walmart today giving someone their "Free SIM" card and listened to them talking to the customer. It's Activate in store, pay for the SIM up front and get $10 off your first bill for the SIM. That sounds a lot like a Referral, so I stayed and watched, and sure enough the sales person typed in a Referal code (probably their own as the customer didn't tell them one). So maybe that is how people are getting their SIM's free at Walmart, the staff member is a PM customer themselves and just referring them?

The slime is thick this one. Nice observing. I can almost hear the spiel. I don't suppose you challenged him on it?

Psygineer

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Yep not allowed as I have so publicly learned via ShawnC13 today. To avoid public shaming and groveling apologies perhaps you want to edit yourself. I've only been here 3 weeks I didn't no I was contravening the terms of service. ShawnC13 kindly posted a link and highlighted the relevant section in the promo thread today or access via my posts. At least I feel relieved I'm not the only one who has made this mistake this weekend.

The next thing you could figure out here is the big quote button above this typing box after clicking the Reply button to the lower right of a post.

Who is this in reply to?

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Yep not allowed as I have so publicly learned via ShawnC13 today. To avoid public shaming and groveling apologies perhaps you want to edit yourself. I've only been here 3 weeks I didn't no I was contravening the terms of service. ShawnC13 kindly posted a link and highlighted the relevant section in the promo thread today or access via my posts. At least I feel relieved I'm not the only one who has made this mistake this weekend.

The next thing you could figure out here is the big quote button above this typing box after clicking the Reply button to the lower right of a post.

Who is this in reply to?

OMG! Thank you! I'm not good at this stuff. Technologically challenged I am. Yes this will most definitely be used now. The second most useful thing I've learned today. Understanding the terms of service was the other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Who is this in reply to?

@Jb456 wrote:

Did you activate in the Walmart store or just buy the sim? 

Cause redflagdeals forums..says if you go in Walmart and activate a new plan with them the sim cars is free up to Sept 18th.

@FrankEnns wrote:

I just went to Walmart to get a sim card because of the flash sale going right now but I had to pay the $10 for the sim card still

If it's not in flyer or on a sign at store, there is no free sim promo. Rfd person probaby just said what employee told them but not advertised means might be free, might not be free. Up to salesperson.

Did you activate in the Walmart store or just buy the sim? 

Cause redflagdeals forums..says if you go in Walmart and activate a new plan with them the sim cars is free up to Sept 18th.

@FrankEnns wrote:

I just went to Walmart to get a sim card because of the flash sale going right now but I had to pay the $10 for the sim card still

@FrankEnns wrote:

Some stores give free and some don't and only you do in store activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.