cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Data Service

Car
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Just started with PM a couple weeks ago and noticed a weird issue. Nothing terribly serious but hopefully someone can shine some light on it for me.

Ok so what's been happening is every time I've gone to my grocery store since I joined PM by data refuses to work.  I initially thought it was a data issue so when I got home I looked around community for solutions and got the data working again. I thought that was the end of it but it’s weird every time I've gone back to that grocery store the data cuts out. (You know trying to open a competitors’ flyer for price matching). I tried calling and texting and had no issues, but data would stubbornly refuse me. I did try comparing with another shopper once (who was on a different network) and they had no data issues...

So, my question is are data and calling/texting that different, is it common for text and calling to work in some buildings/locations while data doesn't/won't? 

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@J1n wrote:

I was charged this morning by auto pay and i didnt get my data at all. So i miss an important appointment today and i still cannot find the way.

If i click 'view my usage' it does appear that i have 1024 limit, 0mb used, 2014 remaining and active in status. When can i get my data and i want to get a refund for days that iam not able to use my data even i have purchased

@J1n we need more info here.  Was this a regular renewal on an existing plan, or did you just change plans to include data where your previous plan did not have it?  Do you have data enabled on your phone?  Did you reboot your phone? EDIT: also--have you ever had data working with Public Mobile on this particular phone?  What brand and model is this phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

J1n
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was charged this morning by auto pay and i didnt get my data at all. So i miss an important appointment today and i still cannot find the way.

If i click 'view my usage' it does appear that i have 1024 limit, 0mb used, 2014 remaining and active in status. When can i get my data and i want to get a refund for days that iam not able to use my data even i have purchased

Car

Thanks everyone for your help on this!

Turns my phone is so old that it periodically can't handle the current 3g speends so it drops off the Public Mobile network, this gets worse the further into large buildings I go. 

As suggested I switch it to WCDMA only, what I also do now is make sure its connected before I enter a building since the phone isn't powerful enough to reconnect once I go in. 

@Car wrote:

@ GinYVR  @  popping

Ahh that makes sense, I never checked the difference between GSM and WCDMA so it could be a 2Gv3G issue, with my phone trying to use the none existant 2G. I'll switch it to 'WCDMA only' and see if that works! I'll know the next time I hit the grocery store:)

@ TheOldVR

That's the weirdist (and funniest) part about this whole thing. Its just the one grocery store that does it... It has no problems at home, work, or canadian tire, just no data for me in the local No Frills...

@Car  I'm not an expert by no means but my understanding is that a building penetration issue can be based on a combination of factors, including cell tower location,building density, construction of the building materials used, etc. Please keep us posted if the switch to WCDMA only works.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Car wrote:

@ GinYVR  @  popping

Ahh that makes sense, I never checked the difference between GSM and WCDMA so it could be a 2Gv3G issue, with my phone trying to use the none existant 2G. I'll switch it to 'WCDMA only' and see if that works! I'll know the next time I hit the grocery store:)

@ TheOldVR

That's the weirdist (and funniest) part about this whole thing. Its just the one grocery store that does it... It has no problems at home, work, or canadian tire, just no data for me in the local No Frills...

It's No Frills - they don't want you price matching with the FLIPP app.... lol...

I have the same issue at my parent's house, Bellus coverage is not so great, Rogers is a bit better.

Good luck!

Car

@ GinYVR  @  popping

@ TheOldVR

popping

@Car wrote:

My phone is a little old, its a LG Optimus Net on android kitkat. 

The preferred network mode is set to GSM / WCDMA auto, the only other options are choosing one or the other. Otherwise I can also set it to use only 2G networks.

I got my phone around 6ish years ago... hehe was there 4G LTE back then?

{EDIT} Oh ya, and it set up to allow data when roaming (no roaming charges so made sense to allow it)

PM does not support GSM(2G) signal.  Therefore, your phone can use 3G signal only on PM.  The 3G signal in your store is not strong enough to provide data service.  Check the signal near the front entrance of  your store.

You can use the wifi signal in your store too.  I know Walmart and Superstore has wifi which I use Flipp to price match.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Could just be network coverage in your location....

Does your phone give issues in any other areas that you frequent?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Since the service uses LTE predominantely but throttled to 3G speed, your phone just lack the capability to access the increasingly common LTE base stations..

Data in GSM/ HSPA band actually take up extra GSM slots while communicating (hence limiting the number of people connecting the base station), it makes sense to limit GSM communicatino to voice only.

@Car wrote:

The preferred network mode is set to GSM / WCDMA auto, the only other options are choosing one or the other. Otherwise I can also set it to use only 2G networks.

{EDIT} Oh ya, and it set up to allow data when roaming (no roaming charges so made sense to allow it)

Car

popping

@Car 

Are you setup your phone to 3G only?

If yes, try to configure your phone to auto 3G and LTE so that your phone will switch between 3G and LTE.

Which phone are you using?

Need Help? Let's chat.