cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public mobile customer transferring phone to new public mobile customer

Cameron998
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a current public mobile customer and I have given my iPhone 5s to my Mother. I have set up a public mobile account for her and obtained a PM SIM card and set up an account for her. I receive a “sim not supported “ message saying Public Mobile is not a supported carrier. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

37 REPLIES 37

Cameron998

My old SIM card doesn’t work in old phone anymore so it must be that the 5s is locked. Will sort it out when I’m back in Ontario. 

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:
after that, we can see if the SIM's carrier ID is correct.

srlawren grabs popcorn

srlawren slowly muches on popcorn, staring intently at the screen

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

I can't decide if this more of reference in comparison to Newman bringing popcorn to the Seinfeld good Samaritan law trial, Rory and Lorelai eating hot dogs during the town hall meanting, or the GIF of Michael Jackson devouring popcorn in the theatre. Some members here may be too young to understand my first two references to tv shows.

@computergeek541 LOL well honestly it was none of the above, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be the Newman reference.  Even though that was pretty clearly the worst (or at least bottom 2 or 3) episode of the series, Seinfeld is easily my favourite sitcom of all time. I've seen nearly every episode the better part of a dozen times, and can often speak the lines near word for word as they are come up--and yet they still crack me up every time.  Gotta love a show about nothing!

Yeah no it was more of a general internet meme-like thing people sometimes post in communities when they are interested in seeing how the rest of a thread plays out.  No specific reference was in mind.  At least, the conscious mind.

Sorry Cameron998, didn't mean to throw your thread so off-topic.  I just couldn't help myself when I saw the popcorn comment.

I better get off this line of thought or the bravo and community reward police will be after me for upping my community rankings with such an off-topic post. I'm pretty sure that a couple fo posts isn't going to make any difference to my January community reward level.  Does Public Mobile have mysterious "white vans"?  Howard Forums members should undrerstand that reference.

Cameron998, admittedly, I don't know much about iOS-based devices, but I can say that message really does sound like the message that Apple will display for devices locked to a different carrier (the one about getting a sim card from a suported carrier).  But, that can't be it since your sim card works in the phone.

In the world of Samsung Android, "sim card not supported" doesn't have anything to do with network locking, but is rather an error message that will be display if you insert and inactive/deactivated sim card.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

srlawren grabs popcorn

I can't decide if this more of reference in comparison to Newman bringing popcorn to the Seinfeld good Samaritan law trial, Rory and Lorelai eating hot dogs during the town hall meanting, or the GIF of Michael Jackson devouring popcorn in the theatre. Some members here may be too young to understand my first two references to tv shows.

@computergeek541 LOL well honestly it was none of the above, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be the Newman reference.  Even though that was pretty clearly the worst (or at least bottom 2 or 3) episode of the series, Seinfeld is easily my favourite sitcom of all time. I've seen nearly every episode the better part of a dozen times, and can often speak the lines near word for word as they are come up--and yet they still crack me up every time.  Gotta love a show about nothing!

Yeah no it was more of a general internet meme-like thing people sometimes post in communities when they are interested in seeing how the rest of a thread plays out.  No specific reference was in mind.  At least, the conscious mind.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

srlawren grabs popcorn

I can't decide if this more of reference in comparison to Newman bringing popcorn to the Seinfeld good Samaritan law trial, Rory and Lorelai eating hot dogs during the town hall meeting, or the GIF of Michael Jackson devouring popcorn in the theatre. Some members here may be too young to understand my first two references to tv shows.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cameron998 wrote:

Thanks for trying to resolve this issue. If I don’t figure it out, I’m only out the cost of a SIM card. 

If there's time and the appetite to try one last thing -- maybe pick up another PM SIM card (preferrably from a different location) and do the SIM transfer online, just to rule that out.

I'm just contemplating the possibility that the SIM manufacturer inadvertently diverted a batch of SIM cards destined for a different carrier, but the printed logo, etc. were for PM.  As a result PM would have imported the ICCID (barcoded SIM ID) into its system thinking it's legitimately for PM.

Cameron998

Have done both resets twice. I can’t get back to the app icons unless I remove the SIM card, so I think I will give up for now. Am flying home tomorrow so will try to get expert advice from my son and mail the phone to my mother at a later date. 

Thanks for trying to resolve this issue. If I don’t figure it out, I’m only out the cost of a SIM card. 

srlawren

@CalgaryBen wrote:

srlawren grabs popcorn

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen do you think a factory reset might help?  (Sorry if it's arleady been tried/discussed)

Actually not a bad idea -- couldn't hurt!  Since OP mentioned the device being "wiped", I assumed it was a full reset.

For the issue at hand, maybe a simple network reset would suffice: Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings.

CalgaryBen

@Cameron998 wrote:

12.1.2 iOS 

dont see any any data on that app re mcc

Okay, try this:

• Put YOUR PM SIM in your Mom's iPhone 5S
  • Launch the native Phone App, select Keypad, then dial *3001#12345#* and then press the green phone button.  This puts the phone in Field Test mode.
  • Tap on SIM Info.
  • Post the EF-OPERATOR PLMN LIST line, and the EF-OPLMNAcT line.

If you can then insert your Mom's PM SIM card into the iPhone 5S, and repeat the 3 steps after that, we can see if the SIM's carrier ID is correct.

srlawren

@CalgaryBen wrote:

... also, are you one of the early (legacy) Public Mobile customers?

This would be before my time on PM, but I see Public Mobile started off on MCC/MNC 302/760.  If the phone was somehow locked to that, it might explain it not working on 302/220.  Just a theory... anyone that's been here long enough might have details on how PM operated before Telus purchased it...

@CalgaryBen do you think a factory reset might help?  (Sorry if it's arleady been tried/discussed)

Cameron998

Not sure when PM started. I’ve been with them about a year. 

CalgaryBen

... also, are you one of the early (legacy) Public Mobile customers?

This would be before my time on PM, but I see Public Mobile started off on MCC/MNC 302/760.  If the phone was somehow locked to that, it might explain it not working on 302/220.  Just a theory... anyone that's been here long enough might have details on how PM operated before Telus purchased it...

Cameron998

Moms sim works in my old phone. 

Cameron998

12.1.2 iOS 

dont see any any data on that app re mcc

CalgaryBen

@Cameron998 wrote:

I am a current public mobile customer and I have given my iPhone 5s to my Mother. I have set up a public mobile account for her and obtained a PM SIM card and set up an account for her. I receive a “sim not supported “ message saying Public Mobile is not a supported carrier. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Are you able to insert your Mom's new SIM card into your phone, or another phone?  I'm just wondering if the SIM card internally has some incorrect information. Embedded in the programming of SIM cards is the MCC and MNC (mobile country code and mobile network code).  For Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile, these should be 302/220.  If somehow these don't match, the iPhone might think the SIM card belongs to a different carrier.  That's basically how it determines whether it's locked to a certain carrier.

I've never seen this occur before, but the error you're seeing is making me think this could be occurring.

What iOS is on the iPhone 5S?  Are you able to download and install a free app called System Status hw monitor Lite?  If so, launch that and scroll down to the Cell Information, and see what MCC/MNC show up (granted, I'm not sure if it will show anything since I don't have a locked phone to test on!).  Failing this, we can go into Field Test mode and plunk around in there to get the same information... I'll provide details as needed.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Cameron998 wrote:

Phones previous carrier was public mobile though? Guess I will contact various cell providers and see if it is randomly locked to them. Thanks for your assistance 

Did you buy the phone from another providor? used? unlocked? or loan it to a friend that used it with their sim?

It may have reverted back to a previous state when it was connected to a non Public Mobile sim. If you can start with those questions you should find your answer and know where to start. No need to contact various providors to see if it was randomly locked to them.

@Cameron998, if the previous carrier was Public Mobile, then it's locked to Telus, and that's not a problem.

Has there been another carrier sim in this device?

Cameron998

Phones previous carrier was public mobile though? Guess I will contact various cell providers and see if it is randomly locked to them. Thanks for your assistance 

When iPhone.devices say this, it means that the phone is locked to a different carrier.  Phone will need to be unlocked before use.

Cameron998

Yes account has been set up and ‘refer a friend ‘ has even been acknowledged by text from pm. Chose a phone number too just get bogged down with the sim. 

srlawren

@Cameron998 very weird, it should just work.  I'm going to tag iPhone expert @CalgaryBen to see if he has any suggestions.

This may seem off the wall to ask, but have you 'signed up' for an account for your new SIM?  Just buying it doesn't make it happen.

ooakosiryan

@Cameron998 wrote:

I used my own sim in a new phone and it is working successfully. 

Purchased a new public mobile sim for Mom. Wiped my old phone. Have followed all steps to set up her new phone. Still receiving the sim not supported message. Puzzling. Thanks for helping. 

You can figure out if it's a problem with the SIM or the phone by doing the following:

• Take your mom's new SIM and stick it in your new phone and see if it's working.
  • Take your own old SIM and stick it in your mom's phone (your old one) and see if it's working.

Let us know the results when you try these 🙂

Cameron998

I have been using this phone with public mobile for over a year, have no clue what other provider it could be linked to. Is there a way to determine that? I am setting it up in a different province, could that be relevant? 

Cameron998

I used my own sim in a new phone and it is working successfully. 

Purchased a new public mobile sim for Mom. Wiped my old phone. Have followed all steps to set up her new phone. Still receiving the sim not supported message. Puzzling. Thanks for helping. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tav wrote:

Was the phone ever used on another providor? Looks like it may have locked itself somehow. If so you may have to contact the other providor to unlock it. 

It seems like a lock but it had been working with Public Mobile already. And they don't sell and lock phones.

Tav

Was the phone ever used on another providor? Looks like it may have locked itself somehow. If so you may have to contact the other providor to unlock it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cameron998 wrote:

Yeah I think some other clarification is needed.

So you had your own service/SIM in this phone. I assume you got another phone and put in the known working SIM? And did it work in the new phone?

Then you bought a SIM for your mother to use in your old phone? Then did you go through all the usual activation steps with that SIM in that phone?

I'm not too up on iphone's but is there like a factory reset wipe kinda thing? Maybe you need to reset all the connectivity radios.

Cameron998

Yes, that is the message I receive 

ooakosiryan

@Cameron998 wrote:

Public Mobile is the last phone carrier. 

Oh okay, nevermind about the unlocking. I have no idea what the problem could be. Sorry!

Just to rule out a problem with the SIM card, can you try inserting it into your current phone (the one you currently use for Public Mobile) and make sure it works?

And just to clarify, is the screenshot from this thread the same message you're getting? 

Need Help? Let's chat.