cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Wifi for PM users?

Quang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello guys, I'm using Freedom Mobile now and interested in Public Mobiles. FM is owned by Shaw so wherever I go (most of the public areas), my phone is automatically connecting to ShawPasspoint wifi (free), which is kinda cool. I am wondering if PM has something similar like that? (Maybe from Telus?). And if I change to PM, can I keep the current number I'm using now since it has a lot of business contacts there? Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

13 REPLIES 13

@Korth 

Still? Because I haven't been able to access it for at least 6 months.

In my area there's several broadcast Shaw SSIDs ... "ShawOpen", "ShawWifi", and "ShawGo".

"ShawGo" is open, unlocked, free, and frustratingly slow.

The other two require login, presumably for customers with Shaw accounts and Shaw passwords.

@Korth 

Still? Because I haven't been able to access it for at least 6 months.

Shaw "Go WiFi" is free for everyone in range. At least for the duration of the covid dempanic.

Although Shaw mobility customers with "ShawPasspoint" gateways can extend their free access to this free wifi, and they can also use free VoWiFi calling across Shaw cellular data ... which all seems like a sidestep backwards to me, but I guess free data is free data regardless of the crazy setup the provider provides.

how can  you have this luck twice.. lol

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

I seem to remember a friend saying that after cancelling their shaw home services they were still able to connect to shaw free wifi. YMMV of course!

If you are lucky and buy a second hand phone that was registered on Shaw and the owner forgets to up date their account.....that is a deal!!! Happened to me twice!!!

@Nezgar 

I seem to remember a friend saying that after cancelling their shaw home services they were still able to connect to shaw free wifi. YMMV of course!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Quang wrote:

Hello guys, I'm using Freedom Mobile now and interested in Public Mobiles. FM is owned by Shaw so wherever I go (most of the public areas), my phone is automatically connecting to ShawPasspoint wifi (free), which is kinda cool. I am wondering if PM has something similar like that?

Maybe you have a friend or family that has Shaw internet at home? If they trust you with their username/password you could login to Shaw public wifi on your phone with their login... Also as previously mentioned Telus also has public wifi that's available to anyone with an e-mail address...

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Quang 

One way around it is to join PM and have Shaw Internet at home. You can then set up your PM phone to access all the Shaw hotspots by registering your phone on Shaw. 

@Quang 

You should have no issues porting your number into public mobile if you are currently with freedom since freedom operates mainly in urban centres where pm ( telus) has available exchanges.

While shaw free wifi has many hotspots from Ontario west telus also has an extensive free wifi network and you can download a free wifi hotspot map for your location that will include true free public wifi hotspots such as community centres, airports, civic centres, libraries etc....

https://wififinder.telus.com/

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Quang 

Unfortunately, PM does not have free wifi like ShawPassport or ShawGo Wifi but if you have Shaw internet for your home internet. You can port your existing number to PM and you can have 10 devices on ShawGo wifi without any issues.

PM (Telus) coverage is much better than Shaw Mobility.

If you do not have Shaw home internet, you can download the ShawGo wifi app and signin as guest for a total of 500mb of free wifi data/30 days.

You can get a $10 referral discount off your second month bill from PM member 😉plus another $2 monthly (30 day) discount if you are on AutoPay.

For porting eligibility , try this:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

it is for Koodo, but if it can be ported into Koodo, it can port into PM

@Quang wrote:

. And if I change to PM, can I keep the current number I'm using now since it has a lot of business contacts there? Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

There are some conditions that need to be met to port your number to Public Mobile. Not all phone numbers can be ported in. Without knowing the city of your current phone number, there is no way to accurately answer this quetsion.  First, the number must be still active at your current carrier. Also, the city that the phone number is assigned to must be a city that Telus Mobility/Public Mobile also offers phone numbers for.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Sorry.. there is no PM wifi like Shaw

But some malls are using Telus for their  wifi.  You  just need to register and for a month or so, it will connect automatic when you are in other malls offering Telus Wifi.  This is open to anyone, not just Telus customer. 

for keeping your number.  Yes... You can port your phone number into PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.