cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Will Not Allow APN Settings Android 8.1

jalc57
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having issues with my phone not allowing me to edit the APN settings once I install a Public Mobile SIM card. With the sim card installed I have no option at all to change / edit the APN settings. With my old SIM card in there I am able to add / edit the APN settings but once I put in the settings required for Public Mobile it won't even allow me to save them with an error message stating "Operator does not allow addings APNs of type*. " I can make / receive calls but I have no access to data or SMS/MMS Messaging.

This issue is directly related to the Public Mobile SIM card, is there a fix / work around for this or am I going to have to switch to a different service provider and be out the money I already paid?

19 REPLIES 19

Oreck

The model # on my Nokia flip-phone is Nokia 3710.

Thanks again.

@OreckI think the Nokia phone you are talking about uses GPRS packet radio. Unfortunately that protocol is not used by Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oreck wrote:

Hi,

My problem is somewhat the same but not andriod based.

I use an old Nokia flipphone   (because I want to).

When I try to get on the internet my phone says "subscribe to packet data first".

I had this same prob before with Telus but their girls in customer service were able to cure it.

If I put my PM sim card in my i5s I can create a hotspot.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks.

What exact make/model/submodel is that Nokia?

You'll need to enter proper APN settings to connect to data. The phone also has to be compatible with data carrying frequencies here.

@Oreck wrote:

Hi,

When I try to get on the internet my phone says "subscribe to packet data first".

I had this same prob before with Telus but their girls in customer service were able to cure it.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks.

No idea but if you needed Telus support to resolve it before click this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue. Sometimes they answer within in 24 hours, but usually take several days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Oreck

Hi,

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks.

Benmobill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You have THE easy and simple solution!!!!!  Spread it around!! Did it and worked perfectly! Now I'm happy cause everythong works fine!

Benmobill

No need to download ADB and start tweeking around in the phone. The easy and accessible to everyone solution is to change sim card for one that allows apn addition/editing. I had a unefone sim (Mexico) and was able to add PM's parameters and save them. Inserted back PM's card and voilà!  Everything works perfectly!  Have a nice day!

Benmobill

I think Janterry has THE EASIEST and SIMPLEST solution!  Did exactly what he said and problem solved!  I had a unefone sim card laying around from Mexico. Put it in and, surprise!  Was able to edit and add APNs!!!! Took it out afterwards and inserted PM sim card and.... WOW!!! PM was there in the APNs. Just had to select it and voilà!!! Got a fully functionning android 8.1 phone!!! Phone & data!  This solution should be posted and easily available/found because many people seem to have this kind of problem. No need to hack your phone or download software. This is an easy solution accessible to non computer-geeks! Have a nice day and pass the word!

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Benmobill wrote:

What app are you talking about?

If you're asking about the app to change APNs, there's one in the RFD forum post linked earlier in this thread. I wouldn't use an app someone just threw together and posted on google drive personally. If you need to change APN settings and the phone won't let you, I'd go the adb route.

Benmobill

What app are you talking about?

Janterry
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had the exact same issue.  What worked for me is I ordered a Roam Mobility sim card (Amazon $4.95), took my PM sim out, popped the roam one in, was able to manually add PM APN, put my PM SIM back in and Voila!  

jesusisgod

really i was told dufferently now thanks 

jesusisgod

i was told its not pm its my phone .hmmmthank you  

It's not Public Mobile disallowing changes to the APN settings, nor is it a sim card issue.  This is completely on the cell phone manufactuer, specifically relating to the software on the device. Some models allow for changes or addition to APN settings with Android 8.1, while some do not. 

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jalc57

I was just going to say..remove and re install the sim 15 times..😀...lol...wow tho..hope it keeps going..

@jalc57 wrote:

After removing and reinstalling the SIM Card 15+ times it finally picked up the APN settings required. Hopefully it stays working and Google can get this issue sorted out in their next update.

Glad you got it sorted. Some android based phones, one of the LG models for sure, requires a phone reset to change carriers.

jalc57

After removing and reinstalling the SIM Card 15+ times it finally picked up the APN settings required. Hopefully it stays working and Google can get this issue sorted out in their next update.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jalc57, what you have encountered is actually an android 8.1 quirk.  If you need to edit the APN, check out this link for instructions.  You can use adb or download the app to invoke the add APN function.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Use the + sign, and create a Public Mobile 2, with the differences in the APN only.

Need Help? Let's chat.