cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile SIM in Galaxy Note 4...

inPicton
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received the PM sim card yesterday and did Activation.

I removed the Virgin Mobile SIM and inserted the PM SIM.

Android version is 6.0.1

Re-stared the Note 4.

Message on screen:

Invalid SIM card
Network locked SIM card inserted

Next screen is:
SIM network unlock PIN
It's looking for a number
Choices: Unlock or Dismiss
Don't know what number it's looking for

Dismiss gets me into the phone.

Went to:
Setting > More Networks > Mobile Networks

Nothing there regarding a Public Mobile SIM or wireless

Thanks for any suggestions.

23 REPLIES 23

horemans

Check eBay or Amazon.Max cost to unlock should not exceed $5 Canadian 

Teezem

Excellent!!!

You conquered the mountain @inPicton, its now time to go skiing!

inPicton

Yup. all seems to be working. Can make and receive calls, and same for text messages.

Thanks for all of the good information in this Community! I doubt that I would have been successful without the help I received.

Best regards,

Paul.

in Picton.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
So all services are working, you can make and receive calls?

@inPicton  great to hear and glad you were able to get your phone unlocked and on the PM service!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Welcome to Public Mobile, @inPicton!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

inPicton

I'M IN! Transfer successful. I feel like I climbed Mt. Everest! 

I used Google Chrome, which has been flakey lately. New Tabs keep timing out. Kept getting error message in Chrome. Switched to "Edge" and all went smoothly. I nearly wet myself when the confirmaton message popped up.

Thanks for all the help this Community has provided.

Best regards,

Paul.

@inPicton wrote:

So I gather that at some time when I check into my account, PM will ask me for that pin number. 

Thanks again.

Believe it or not, you might not ever need it.  Sometimes, if you're in contact with a Public Mobile employee, they'll ask for it to make sure you are authorized to discuss account issues but when you log into your online account, I don't believe you'll ever be asked for it.

inPicton

So I gather that at some time when I check into my account, PM will ask me for that pin number. 

Thanks again.

@inPicton wrote:
and now it is unlocked and on the Public Mobile network.

I received a text message with a 4-digit pin number code. 

I have yet to port my existing cell number.

Is that where I will used the pin number?

No, do not do that.  That PIN number that Public Mobile has sent you by text message is the PIN number for your Public Mobile account.  Do not enter it on the porting request form.

If you enter the Public Mobile PIN number, your phone number transfer request will fail if it is not the same PIN number that you used for your old provider.

But do yourself a favor and forget about the PIN number when it comes to number porting.  If you use just your old company's account number, you should be good.

inPicton

Yes, the note 4 was indeed locked.

I received a code from the vendor I purchased the phone from, and now it is unlocked and on the Public Mobile network.

I received a text message with a 4-digit pin number code. 

I have yet to port my existing cell number.

Is that where I will used the pin number?

Thanks again, Paul.

inPicton

Thanks for all of that good information, computergeek541.

@Luddite wrote:

@computergeek541 Is the message the same for a blacklisted phone?

Network Unlock PIN (NCK) is just the terminology that most Android phones use on-screen when powering the phone on with a sim card that is "not allowed" (locked to a different carrier's sim card).

Samsung has sold some phones (in such places as Samsung stores and Costco) that were sold as "unlocked".  They actually would accept a sim card from any carrier, but once you inserted that first sim card, the phone would be locked to that carrier.  I have read some stories that some people complained to Samsung about this and in turn, some people were provided the code by the manufacturer for free.

For a blacklisted phone, the phone shouldn't be asking for an unlock code.  To my knowledge, the phone would just boot up as normal but would just fail to connect to the network.  I would imagine that most phones would just show "Emergency calls only" or "no service" and in the case of a mnually selected network, might also show a "selected network unavailable" message.

inPicton

I can't answer re blacklisted phone (whatever that is).

Rick at "MobileDNA" is going to send me the "code" tomorrow.

Regards, Paul.

@computergeek541 Is the message the same for a blacklisted phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

inPicton

Thanks for the several replies.

I bought the phone from this place. They had the best price when I was in the buying mode. I have sent him an email with the details, so hope to hear back soon. They be in Richmond, BC.

If interested, go to Facebook and search for: mobiledna

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Paul.

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi..

agreed ..phone is for sure sim card locked...

they way to tell if a phone is locked is exactly what you did.. you put in a sim from a different carrier and you will get the sim lock message...

will cost about 40-50$ to unlock...eithe rpurchase unlock code online or pay somebody..

cheers

@inPicton wrote:

I received the PM sim card yesterday and did Activation.

I removed the Virgin Mobile SIM and inserted the PM SIM.

Android version is 6.0.1

Re-stared the Note 4.

Message on screen:

Invalid SIM card
Network locked SIM card inserted

Next screen is:
SIM network unlock PIN
It's looking for a number
Choices: Unlock or Dismiss
Don't know what number it's looking for

Dismiss gets me into the phone.

Went to:
Setting > More Networks > Mobile Networks

Nothing there regarding a Public Mobile SIM or wireless

Thanks for any suggestions.

Going through the settings menu you won't help you.  Your phone is 100% and absolutely without any doubt locked to Bell Mobility/Virgin Mobile.  You won't be able t use it until you get it unlocked.

I would try your PM sim in another phone if you can.  If it is locked go to www.mobifree.ca I got a code to unlock a phone in 2 days and I looked for your phone it would 12.99.  Was the Virgin SIM the first sim you put in.  It may have locked to that network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Teezem

It appears your phone is looking for an unlock code so it can be used outside of the Virgin network. Therefore you may have to get your phone unlocked before it can be used on the PM network.

Was the phone recently unlocked or unlocked prior to going to Virgin?

inPicton

That's what I'm wondering. It may be locked. I purchased it unlocked.

Yes, I have re-booted with the PM sim card.

Is there a way to tell if phone is locked, or unlocked?

Regards, Paul.

Teezem

Have you attempted to reboot your phone with the Public Mobile SIM in the phone?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@inPicton  Is your phone unlocked??  Some phones come unlocked but then lock themselves to the carrier of the first SIM you have put in it.  Are you able to try your sim in another phone?  Maybe one that is on Telus or Koodo or even unlocked?

Need Help? Let's chat.