cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province-wide, Canada-wide and Long Distance Add-ons

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

I'm hoping one of our moderators can sticky this thread.... @Shazia_K, how about it?  🙂

@ute1978 posted a great chart explaining how Provice-wide calling works.  I'm re-posting it here, and below, will describe how it works...

original.jpg

There is a lot of confusion about Province wide calling, but I can summarize it here:

1. When in your province:
    1. All calls made within your province are free
    2. All calls received from anywhere are free
    3. Any calls made to anywhere outside your province require a long distance add on
  2. When outside your province
    1. Calls made to whichever province you are in are free
    2. You wil not receive calls unless you have a long distance add on
      1. You will be charged for each minute of incoming call

WIth Canada-wide calling:

1. any call that you make within Canada is free
  2. any call that you receive from anywhere while you are in Canada is free
  3. if you want to call International, you will need to buy the International long distance add-on
    1. If you want to call the US only, you need one of:
      1. US/Canada Long distance add on
      2. International add on
      3. Some VoIP solution like Fongo, Hangouts Dialer, etc... This would use your PM data connection to route calls

Hope this helps our new members understand how it all works.

Cheers,

Neil

135 REPLIES 135

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

unless another promo plan comes along that integrates canada wide talking. I'd love to see a promo plan like the one right now but with canada wide calling instead of province only.

mjs

because I need canda wide talking and not only province wide. this plan wont work for me in the long run. The promo is great, but I, like many other customers have to think about the long term. Do i really wanna keep monitoring how many minutes i talk for everytime i call outside my province? Do I really want to go through the hassle of checking my account and doing this and that everytime I am outside my BC? It's like the old days. Even addons can be become expensive if you call outside province. having family members and friends outside BC and travelling from one province to another is kinda the norm from many candians these days.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Why would you switch back, the promo never expires?

mjs

yep, same here. 

Rockdaddy22
This is why I hate minutes 😞

mjs

Yep, you have to check before you decide that it;s the plan that you want. Province wide calling works for some but not all...To me, even an add-on would still not make sense. Right now, I went with the current promo plan, but I intend to switch from it and back to canada wide calling on my renewal date. 

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jeremy_M: Just to clarify. If I am in a situation where I am making or receiving a call that will use the minutes in my long distance add on. If I make or receive a call that lasts 5 seconds.. does that count as 1 full minute... or is it accumulated by the second.

Also, if someone calls while I am outside my province and I do not answer the call.. That wont use my minutes - right. Likewise if I make a call but hang up before anybody answers and before their voicemail  answers - that wont use my minutes either - right.. 

Final Example:  If I call someone and get their answering machine and hang up after 5 secondswithout leaving a message..does that count as 1 minute or 5 seconds.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

We appreciate the feedback @Cyber 🙂

Personally, I don't think it's that confusing to understand, and I think @neilselden did a great job at illustrating how province-wide calling works, in comparison to Canada-wide calling.

I also agree, maybe this plan is not suited for everyone. Everyone must do their due diligence before purchasing or changing their rate plan, just like in any other similar situation.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

This is really awesome @neilselden 🙂

The only edit I would make to drive more clarity, would be this line below:

1. You will be charged for each minute of incoming call

I would change it too:

1. Your LD usage will be deducted from your LD add-on 🙂

Cheers,

Jeremy

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@homer wrote:

Oh so if I am outside of my province, I won't receive any incoming calls unless I have an add-on?!... This is something new to me... 😞 

@homer,

@Rockdaddy22,

You see, Province-wide brings so much confusion.

@Jeremy_M,

You should envisage to discontinue Province-wide plans to bring more simplicity to your customers.

Rockdaddy22
Yes, you'd have to change your number

Rockdaddy22
That's correct, if you only have provincial calling. That's why I wish the new promo would let you add unlimited Canada calling.

homer

Question: what if I move to another province with a provincial-call plan? Do I have to change my number so that my home province is changed as well? 

homer

Oh so if I am outside of my province, I won't receive any incoming calls unless I have an add-on?!... This is something new to me... 😞 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@neilselden

Thank you!!! I have featured this topic 🙂 

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
Need Help? Let's chat.