cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with connectivity (new customer)

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I got a friend onto PM and they're having some trouble, I think with the porting. I told them to write to the mods and thought I'd check here if there's anything else they can try.

They switched from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile in the last week. They got a new number from PM, made sure the SIM was working, then ported their Virgin Mobile number (514 area code). 

They cannot receive calls from most carriers. It seems they can receive from Public Mobile, but not from Primus Home Phone, Telus, Koodo. They get a message in French that the line is not active. A relative on Bell said he called and got a different error message (in English). Or the people on Bell are able to get through, I'm not totally clear on that. And they can receive from Public Mobile, I think. (We're working at a distance so I can't sit and try each thing in turn myself).

I also tried to send a text message from a voip.ms line to their new Public Mobile number and it gave the error "Contact number 514-xxx-xxxx is not valid" before sending. I was able to send to my own Public Mobile number using the same technique, so I know I was doing it right. 😉

Their account page shows everything is okay, even a $12 credit balance (autopay+referral). I assume this is a problem with the port from Virgin Mobile, but that's just a guess. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, while we wait for the mods?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

ottawa

Thanks, they wrote the mods on Fri or Sat (I think Sat). Yes they know mods hours are M-F. 🙂 I wasn't surprised that calls from PM were going through, but I was surprised that calls from Bell Mobility were going through while Telus and Koodo (among others) were not. Which (Bell) led me to think it might not be entirely the fault of Virgin Mobile. 🙂

Virgin Mobile did call to match PM's deal, but my friend rejected it (already hated VM). And the Virgin SIM doesn't seem to work (i forget, I probably have to ask them to test again but I'm pretty sure they said no -- and calls are not going to Virgin voicemail, they're getting "not in service" and my SMS from voip.ms was rejected by voip.ms as not a valid number). So while the port may be stuck (my guess too, thanks for confirming the probability), it's not still stuck as a Virgin Mobile line.

=aw

@ottawa wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I shoudl have been more clear, it's been about 4 days. I warned them it would take up to a day (to be safe). I did ask them to put the Virgin Mobile SIM in another handset and see if it rang when they called the ported number, but it didn't.

Good to knock off the obvious things first, thanks.

=aw

@ottawa Can they still login into their Virgin account? Is the Virgin account still active?. Did your friend receive a text message from Public Mobile to contact them regarding the port?

@ottawa wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I shoudl have been more clear, it's been about 4 days. I warned them it would take up to a day (to be safe). I did ask them to put the Virgin Mobile SIM in another handset and see if it rang when they called the ported number, but it didn't.

=aw

Four days is way long enough of a wait.  I think the port is stuck.  I suggest contacting the moderator team and have them resubmit the port.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

ottawa

=aw

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ottawa wrote:
I got a friend onto PM and they're having some trouble, I think with the porting. I told them to write to the mods and thought I'd check here if there's anything else they can try.

They switched from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile in the last week. They got a new number from PM, made sure the SIM was working, then ported their Virgin Mobile number (514 area code). 

They cannot receive calls from most carriers. It seems they can receive from Public Mobile, but not from Primus Home Phone, Telus, Koodo. They get a message in French that the line is not active. A relative on Bell said he called and got a different error message (in English). Or the people on Bell are able to get through, I'm not totally clear on that. And they can receive from Public Mobile, I think. (We're working at a distance so I can't sit and try each thing in turn myself).

I also tried to send a text message from a voip.ms line to their new Public Mobile number and it gave the error "Contact number 514-xxx-xxxx is not valid" before sending. I was able to send to my own Public Mobile number using the same technique, so I know I was doing it right. 😉

Their account page shows everything is okay, even a $12 credit balance (autopay+referral). I assume this is a problem with the port from Virgin Mobile, but that's just a guess. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, while we wait for the mods?

Thanks!

All ports take time, has it been more than 6 hours (safer to say half a day really) since the port was initiated? (Assuming it was mobile to mobile) If it hasn't been it is perfectly normal what you described. The old SIM is still active at this point. Once Virgin finishes the port out process the account and SIM there will be deactivated and the PM one will work fully.

Need Help? Let's chat.