cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with form for porting phone number

dldunn42
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a sim card and I'm trying to activate it and port my phone number. The form that allopws you to port, and asks for the account number of my prior carrier and other relavant phone information, will not let me input the serial number of my phone. The serial number has letters and numbers, and the form will let me input the numbers but not the letters so I can not complete the form. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you rectify? What am I doing wrong?

8 REPLIES 8

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dldunn42 wrote:

I have a sim card and I'm trying to activate it and port my phone number. The form that allopws you to port, and asks for the account number of my prior carrier and other relavant phone information, will not let me input the serial number of my phone. The serial number has letters and numbers, and the form will let me input the numbers but not the letters so I can not complete the form. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you rectify? What am I doing wrong?

No where on the Porting form it asks for the Serial Number.  You need only 'ONE' of the following 3 things

1) Account Number of your Previous Provider (Recommend) or

2) IMEI of the Device that your Sim card was in last or

3) Account Pin #/Password on your Account. (Remember this is not your Voicemail Password unless of course you used the same one for the Account and for the Voice Mail) 

sharebearjc

I bought a sim card and tried to switch from other company online. It seems you can not do it online. I went to the store and the guy did it for me in 5 minutes. It is easy. Just need your old account number and ID.

GR
Mayor / Maire

When I port numbers I just put 1 piece of information out of the 3 they ask. Usually the account number if you know it and I've never had a problem. Also like they said pick a new number first and after everything works then log in to your self serve account and port the number 

dldunn42

It is Telus.

dldunn42

Thanks apprieciate your advice. I'm with Telus you many be right that it is the IMEI number but I did try that too and it came back with a general error. I will take your advice and ge the new number first and then port the old.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If possible only use account number and name on account. Pin #, or imei often lead to failed ports 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@dldunn42

Different providers want different things.. what providers you are with? I think they might your IMEI number which is all numerical.. not your phone's serial number.

I highly recommend you activate your Public Mobile SIM card with a new (temporarily) number first.. Once you have verify EVERYTHING is working.. then go to Plans and Port your previous provider's number from there (make sure your previous number;s account still active). If you read messages on this forum, quite a few people have problems in the all in one go method and is stuck with no phone.

Have everything done in one go is pretty risky, you might need to wait for moderators to get back to you up to 48 hours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dldunn42  - You do not need to fill in all of the information in that form.  Different providers require different pieces of information.  If you have an account number, that is always good.  The IMEI number is sometimes also good.  If you could give us the mane of your previous provider, I am sure someone will have the specific requirements..

Need Help? Let's chat.