cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with activation keep saying invalid SIM

lydmila
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a problem with SIM activation, I filled in form using different browsers and modes (e. g. incognito mode), but it keeps saying that the it is invalid sim (even if I double and triple checked the number in the card and through the phone itself)

Additional question with email - my email is 32 symbols and the form does not allow to input more than 30 for email address - I am just wondering why? What the reason to limit email with 30 symbols? Why I should create another email just for the sim activation?

15 REPLIES 15

Becka09
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well if you don’t want to make a brand new email account I guess you could probably use a temporary email account just type temp emails into google search bar 

@lydmila wrote:

@computergeek541  It the second option - I fill in everything and it does not show any error, then I submit it and then on top of the page I see this "Invalid SIM" error.  You probably right - I need to get a replacement for the SIM or the problem should be solved manually. I will try to contact the activation chat tomorrow. It is still strange that new SIM does not work. I had used chatr before and never ever had this problem. I probably will go back to them. 

This could actually happen at any carrier. SIM card numbers are in sequence and it would not be hard for a different customer to type your SIM card number in by mistake. If that happens, that other customer would eventually figure out the mistake and switch to the correct SIM card. Unfortunately, that would render the incorrect SIM card that was used by mistake unusable.

lydmila

@computergeek541  It the second option - I fill in everything and it does not show any error, then I submit it and then on top of the page I see this "Invalid SIM" error.  You probably right - I need to get a replacement for the SIM or the problem should be solved manually. I will try to contact the activation chat tomorrow. It is still strange that new SIM does not work. I had used chatr before and never ever had this problem. I probably will go back to them. 

@lydmila wrote:

@computergeek541 I have asked Moderator_Team to check if it has been used. From the other side if it had been used it would work from mobile phone - right? Because it does not show network and displays "Search". I have tried to reboot the phone a few times - no difference

The activation site does work on most mobile web browsers. When typing in a SIM card number, it is possible for it to say invalid if you're already typed a different number and then corrected it because when you click on the next field/box, there could be a delay or the website doesn't properly recheck. That is usually resolved by refreshing the webpage. However, if no SIM number has been typed yet and it says invalid after you do enter it and then go to the next box to type other information, that means that the SIM card really is invalid. There's nothing further that a moderator really could check. A moderator may be able to provide a way to receive a replacement, but you'll have to discuss it with them.

lydmila

@computergeek541 I have asked Moderator_Team to check if it has been used. From the other side if it had been used it would work from mobile phone - right? Because it does not show network and displays "Search". I have tried to reboot the phone a few times - no difference

@lydmila wrote:

@computergeek541 Thank you for your willing to help with the issue. No, it did not go to the payment page. It was still stuck on the first page "Let's get started" and I am getting now two messages there:

"Invalid SIM
The Self Serve username you have entered is not available. Please try again with a different email address."

It seems strange to me too, because if it would go to some further I would understand that the first portion might go through  

Then, I am as confused as you then. It's not even supposed to be possible for a self serve account to be opened without activating a plan.  

All I do know for sure is that if the SIM card number shows as invalid, that means that it's either mistyped (I know you've already checked), or that it's been used before.

lydmila

@computergeek541 Thank you for your willing to help with the issue. No, it did not go to the payment page. It was still stuck on the first page "Let's get started" and I am getting now two messages there:

"Invalid SIM
The Self Serve username you have entered is not available. Please try again with a different email address."

It seems strange to me too, because if it would go to some further step I would understand that the first portion might go through  

@lydmila wrote:

@JoyLuck  Thank you I will try chat tomorrow.

Speaking about waiting for an hour and trying to activate. I was waiting for few hours and then tried again. I started to get additional message - "The Self Serve username you have entered is not available. Please try again with a different email address.". That is very strange, because this is my email - right? What's wrong with my email now?

This sounds to me as if the account was already opened. A self serve account can't actually be created unless there is a service linked to it. When you tried the first time, was the SIM card number actually accepted, and did you get to the payment stage?  If it did, I would try to see if the service on the SIM card works.   Also, was there any point that you thought that the process failed and then tried to go back to the previous page or did you receive some type of error message after the payment stage?

lydmila

@JacobFu Thank you! Let me send them a message.

lydmila

@JoyLuck  Thank you I will try chat tomorrow.

Speaking about waiting for an hour and trying to activate. I was waiting for few hours and then tried again. I started to get additional message - "The Self Serve username you have entered is not available. Please try again with a different email address.". That is very strange, because this is my email - right? What's wrong with my email now?

JacobFu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Message the Moderator_Team and ask them to check if your SIM number has been used or not.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@lydmila 

When you try activating again.....clear your browser cache/cookies/history. Close browser and open a new window in incognito.

You can also try the live chat for activations:

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

@lydmila wrote:

Sorry, I am not getting how waiting for an hour will change the response? I tried yesterday and I tried today. Sure I can wait one more hour just to confirm it.

If an activation was started, either on purpose (or by accident by someone else/mistyped number) but doesn't get completed, the system locks out the SIM card number for a short period of time. Your original message didn't mention anything about trying yesterday.  As this is still happening, you'l need to have the SIM card replaced. Someone has already used that SIM card number before.

lydmila

Sorry, I am not getting how waiting for an hour will change the response? I tried yesterday and I tried today. Sure I can wait one more hour just to confirm it.

@lydmila wrote:

I have a problem with SIM activation, I filled in form using different browsers and modes (e. g. incognito mode), but it keeps saying that the it is invalid sim (even if I double and triple checked the number in the card and through the phone itself)

Additional question with email - my email is 32 symbols and the form does not allow to input more than 30 for email address - I am just wondering why? What the reason to limit email with 30 symbols? Why I should create another email just for the sim activation?

Yes, there is a limit in length of an e-mail address. As for the invalid SIM card message, wait 50 minutes before trying again.

Need Help? Let's chat.