cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem transferring number

Nitros
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. I just setup my account using a temporary number from public mobile. Everything is working fine. But now I'm trying to change my number over to my existing Bell number. When I enter my number and check for eligibility I get a message saying "Oh No! It looks like something went wrong, but don't panic". I assume this is just a problem with the web site, but what do I do now? Do just keep trying? Is this common? Or is there another way? If anyone could help me that would be great! I've had this number for a long time and need to keep it. 

20 REPLIES 20

@Nitros wrote:

@geopublic yes, but my last four digits weren't available with the three digit I picked for that area. I could always try another area and change again I guess.

@computergeek541  I'm not in a city, it's a small rural town with less than 1000 people lol. My area wasn't in the list when I picked the number. I assume that's why they couldn't port it. 

When I ask what city, I mean which municipality, and not necessarily the name of your town, but rather the municipality that the phone number is coded as for the purposes of local calling areas.  Unless both carriers involved both have phone numbers for that same place, It's my understanding that number portability isn't possible.

Nitros

@kalpesh9 this is exactly what the moderator said.

"

With the phone number I have been able to check the port eligibility, however it seems the phone number and exchange are not compatible with our network. This means the number is not eligible to be transfer over to Public Mobile. 

For this, it is suggested for a new number to be selected. "

kalpesh9

CRTC mandates that every Ph number can be ported to any other provider as long as that provider is offering service in that area regardless of landline or wireless

Nitros

@geopublic yes, but my last four digits weren't available with the three digit I picked for that area. I could always try another area and change again I guess.

@computergeek541  I'm not in a city, it's a small rural town with less than 1000 people lol. My area wasn't in the list when I picked the number. I assume that's why they couldn't port it. 

@Nitros wrote:

@stonechucker it's a cellular number, but the three digit number after the area code is the same as landlines from Bell in this area. It's a small rural area in Newfoundland, so I'm not entirely surprised it's not eligible. Even when choosing a number from PM I had to choose a number from an area two hours away as that was the closest I could find to local lol. Was worth it though, glad to be with PM now.

Like @stonechucker said that is odd. Here in edmonton the index numbers are interchanged between cell and landline all the time. 

@Nitros wrote:

I sent the private message to the moderator team and the have responded. Unfortunately in my case my old number with it's exchange isn't eligible to transfer to PM. Sad cause I liked my old number 

What city is your Bell phone number assigned to?  There are very few times numbers can't be ported.

@Nitros wrote:

@stonechucker it's a cellular number, but the three digit number after the area code is the same as landlines from Bell in this area. It's a small rural area in Newfoundland, so I'm not entirely surprised it's not eligible. Even when choosing a number from PM I had to choose a number from an area two hours away as that was the closest I could find to local lol. Was worth it though, glad to be with PM now. 

@Nitros During activation PM lets you customize the last 4 digits of a phone number when choosing a PM number. Were you able to at least pick the same 4 last digits?

Nitros

Cellular or landline on your previous service?  It’s really strange that it couldn’t be ported.

Nitros

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update, but first I wanted to thank everyone for reaching out to help me. The community here is amazing! 

I sent the private message to the moderator team and the have responded. Unfortunately in my case my old number with it's exchange isn't eligible to transfer to PM. Sad cause I liked my old number and have had it for many years, but that's life, I'll get used to the new one lol. I'll probably keep the old bell one active on an old phone for a couple months until I can get all my contacts updated with my new number.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! 

Nitros 

@Nitros wrote:

Thank you @geopublic! I'll do that now.

@Nitros  Don't forget to include your Bell account number, name on the account and phone number in your mrssage.

Good luck.

Nitros

Thank you @geopublic! I'll do that now.

@Nitros wrote:

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. So I tried again yesterday and now I'm getting this message when I check my number for eligibility.

"We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance."

Any ideas where to go from here? I've tried on different browsers and on several devices. All the same message.

@Nitros Best to contact PM. 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Nitros

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. So I tried again yesterday and now I'm getting this message when I check my number for eligibility.

"We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance."

Any ideas where to go from here? I've tried on different browsers and on several devices. All the same message.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Can you look in the my account, to see what telephone number is currently listed for your plan?  Sometimes the transfer in has been started, and it’s a matter of Bell (in this case) needing to release the number.

Yes, the website seems to have crashed on you, but the porting process may have already started.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Wait a while and try again. Often happens during peak hours. Clearing your cache and using incognito mode can help as well.

Have you tried again? Did it work? How long did you wait? @Nitros 

Killerboo79
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Had the same problem this morning. I just went back to the form and refilled everything. It work for me the second time.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've seen this alot in the early mornings.

Try reloading the page later in the day (within normal business hours).

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Nitros wrote:

Hello. I just setup my account using a temporary number from public mobile. Everything is working fine. But now I'm trying to change my number over to my existing Bell number. When I enter my number and check for eligibility I get a message saying "Oh No! It looks like something went wrong, but don't panic". I assume this is just a problem with the web site, but what do I do now? Do just keep trying? Is this common? Or is there another way? If anyone could help me that would be great! I've had this number for a long time and need to keep it. 

@Nitros  Yes, you are correct the website is finicky. Clear you cache and if you are using a chrome browser try using incognito mode. Most of the time if you wait about an hour everything starts working again.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Wait a while and try again. Often happens during peak hours. Clearing your cache and using incognito mode can help as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.