cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepay for USA add-ons

willisbob
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be entering the US February 22 for about three weeks. Can I prepay for data and text before I leave

9 REPLIES 9

willisbob

Thanks for all the reeplies. Got it straight now,. Much appreciated.

You can "Prepay" for the add-ons by adding the requisite funds to your balance before your trip. Then if you want to start the roaming add-on later, you can activate it even after your arrive in the US by dialing 611 or 1-855-4PUBLIC and then purchasing the add-on with the balance available on your account.

If your trip is less than 10 days, you can start it before you go and it might not run out until after you return...

@willisbob  Once you decide what roaming add ons you need you can top up your balance in the account with the approximate funds you will need. The roaming add ons start immediately and run on a 24 hour clock so purchasing them right before you need them is best. At the airport on WiFi once you land or on mobile or WiFi data just before you cross the border (while you're waiting in the line up.)

Consider what has already been mentioned....you will continue to receive text messages. You may also receive phone calls. You will not be able to send texts or make calls unless you have an app like text now that you can use on WiFi or a roaming add on. How much data do you regularly use in a month? Decide if you can get by on the minimum offered (250mb) and an app for calling and texting. You may not need a texting or calling roaming add on at all.

You could take the $20/1gb data add on for the first 10 days if you think you need it...and see how much free WiFi you use compared to mobile data and adjust your second 10 day add on to suit your needs. You may find you can get away with 2x$10/250mb 10 day add ons. The later in the day your add on expires the better compared to when you will be on free hotel (your accommodations) Wi-Fi. So when your first add on expires you're covered on WiFi til the ability to repurchase happens sometime after midnight et. You will want to purchase the second add on just before you leave free WiFi the next day...9-10am? This will stretch 2×10 day add ons to cover 21 days of your travel.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@willisbob  Public's US roaming add-ons are designed for short trips 10 days anything more than that consider purchasing a US prepaid sim card. Do a search on Amazon.ca for the different available options.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@willisbob wrote:

I will be entering the US February 22 for about three weeks. Can I prepay for data and text before I leave

As mentioned, it's active at the time you buy it. Then 10 - 24 hour periods later it expires. I think re-buying needs to wait until midnight ET on that day but this hasn't been verified by observation yet.

You can receive texts without an add-on. You can use wifi. Unofficially, last I checked, things may have changed...you can receive calls without an add-on but that could change at any time without notice.

willisbob

Thanks and will check out your suggestion.

Much appreciated.

willisbob

Thanks, I will print out your suggestions,  and thank you.

You can also look into adding the app textnow and using that over WiFi to call/text to augment your roaming purchase. You may be able to get away with having to buy only 2 of the roaming add ons. Enjoy your trip @willisbob .

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

USA add-ons are for 10days only..they don't sell more days.

It starts day you buy it. So wait till you're leaving.

Two steps to buy a add-on. Guide below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/td-p/198974

Screenshot_20190906_234608.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.