cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible referral if they can keep their nbr when they go south in winter?

deloreh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Friend goes South for 5 months and would like to put their nbr on hold till they return in spring, is this possible?

10 REPLIES 10

@saeliux wrote:

Changing the plan to $10 is the easiest way. It is only 5 months, you probaly dont want the hastle of porting it out then porting it back.

Just remove autopay, the account will go into suspend mode. The self serve will tell you the date you need to pay before losing the number. So you just need to set a reminder to add $10 on that day. 

It is not guaranteed if you allow your account to go into suspension  that you will be able to reactivate it on the $10 plan as it will no longer be available after Oct 4th. You may be able to if it is your current plan is $10 at suspension but you might have to reactivate with the $15 plan.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Changing the plan to $10 is the easiest way. It is only 5 months, you probaly dont want the hastle of porting it out then porting it back.

Just remove autopay, the account will go into suspend mode. The self serve will tell you the date you need to pay before losing the number. So you just need to set a reminder to add $10 on that day. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I also agree that speakout is cheapest but it's moor of a once to do deal.

If they are doing it every year they would be better off finding a decent provider that covers their needs the rest of the year, they don't want to be getting simcard activating porting and so forth every time.

If i was them going soon id get 10 plan with autopay, it's really 8, after leaving i would report it lost and in about 80 days found, then wait 3 weeks to report it lost again. Then pick the best plan that matches my needs about 1or2 days before arriving, so that i have it hopefully up and running when i get here.

But if they will leave a bit later then start off with the right plan right away. Just report it lost once you leave, make sure you get it active a week or so before 90 days are up, Gove it some addictive time ( you paid for it) then reactivate again before returning.

While away they could use voip and before leaving they could forward to it so they don't miss calls. Both textnow and fongo are great

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hairbag1 wrote:

Can't offically put it on hold...but reduce to cheapest plan ($10) on autopay to keep it active. Then when they return, get a plan they want.

Agree.  $10/30 days cycle is cheap comparing to Koodo charging $15/m for seasonal hold.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@delorehThe cheapest wireless provider for holding a number is Speakout.. since their basic pay as you go credit lasts for 365 days and you can put the minimum of $25 which is good for the year. vs Public Mobile the minimum is $10 / month.

Another alternative is have them port their number to a VoIP provider that will abstract them having to keep a line for their number seasonally.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@deloreh wrote:

Friend goes South for 5 months and would like to put their nbr on hold till they return in spring, is this possible?

Yes make sure your friend considers their options and make a decision before Oct 4th. Allowing the plan to go into suspension for 89 days and then activating it with the $15 plan for 30days and allowing it to suspend again for the duration of their stay or 89 days would be the cheapest option. Scheduling it to change on your next renewal to the $10 plan the last time you will be able to choose this plan  will allow up to 50 calls to access your voicemail every 30 days...you can have the extended absence setting have a msg redirecting their call. Or choose the $60 plan to have full service while in the states without requiring a U.S. service but local callers will incur long distance charges depending on their plan.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Only cheaper plan I know of is bells $5 10 min plan. So I think unless their provider provides long term NBR parking, pm is as good as any for this situation.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Here's something for them to consider...

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

90 days is as long as you can suspend a NBR. So @hairbag1's solution is the best one. They could theoretically suspend after 2 or 3 months and still have the NBR available when they get back.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Can't offically put it on hold...but reduce to cheapest plan ($10) on autopay to keep it active. Then when they return, get a plan they want.

Need Help? Let's chat.