cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting unavailable?

Romans10v9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, I was super excited to get my PM sim card and go through activation, but then after receiving my temporary number I asked the moderators to port my old number, and this is the reply:

"I just tried to port this phone number, but unfortunately, this number is not eligible for our network. I will attach the error message below:

"No, this number is not eligible to be transferred to TELUS because we do not currently provide service in the client's local calling area.""

This is so strange because I can see a Telus tower right from my house?? And if I search for networks, Telus shows up (or Public Mobile if I have that sim card in). The Moderator said they can't do anything about it. I guess this is my first and last month of PM unless there's anything you can suggest here on the community, as I like to keep my number. Hope you can help! 

32 REPLIES 32

Sbrown33

I have the same issue and my current provider is Koodo.  they told me number I want to port is not available on the local network.  I called bull on that as this number has been with pubici mobile in the past.  I wonder is it because I'm using an esim this time.

@Romans10v9 

To make this even more clear... If you look carefully at the list of all of the "rate centres" in area code 807 on the CNAC site, these are the only carriers that are present in Fort Frances:

NPA ▾CO Code (NXX)CompanyRate Centre
807270ExaTEL Inc.Fort Frances
807271Rogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)Fort Frances
807272Rogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)Fort Frances
807274Bell CanadaFort Frances
807275Bell CanadaFort Frances
807276Rogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)Fort Frances
807277TBayTelFort Frances
807291Shaw Telecom Inc.Fort Frances
807703Bell CanadaFort Frances
807788Iristel Inc.Fort Frances
807789Iristel Inc.Fort Frances
807797Iristel Inc.Fort Frances
807861Bell MobilityFort Frances
807994Fido Solutions Inc.Fort Frances

Basically, Port Frances numbers can ONLY be ported between carriers in the list above, of which TELUS (parent of Public Mobile) is unfortunately not one of them. (Yet?)

However, there is a workaround... Iristel being one of the big VoIP trunk providers on the list, means you should be able to port to a plethora of VoIP providers that use them, and at minimum just forward it to your new actual Public Mobile number.

So, Pick a new number "nearby" that PM does offer for your mobile account - and then you port your previous number to one of those VoIP services including:

• Fongo (as @kselmak mentioned) - as cheap as free
  • voip.ms (my personal favourite lately) lots of features more than just simple forwarding for incoming calls, for less than a dollar a month, forwarding pay as you go per minute. less than 2/c per min + 50c per month.(no voip hardware even required)
  • numberbarn.com - their "Can my number be ported" checker confirms 807-271 number CAN be ported. The least cost effective of the three.

@Romans10v9  It's not related to the list saying Rogers next to your number. It's entirely about that Telus Mobility does not have Fort Frances phone numbers. This means a number from there can't be ported in to Public Mobile (or any other Telus cellular service brands).

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Romans10v9 

Here is another option

https://account.fongo.com/calling/free/ 

You can forward it for free to your cellphone, use it with data, WiFi while abroad

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Romans10v9 

There were lots of simjacking recently and many providers have put the port blocks, if that's the case you have to contact them to remove it then contact moderators to try again. This is assuming they allow port out in the first place. Either way it looks like you will have to contact them

Romans10v9

So because it says "Rogers" beside it it can't leave Rogers-partnered providers, is that correct? 

@Romans10v9 wrote:

Thanks for your help. I edited my previous reply, 807 271 ****

Numbers from Fort Frances cannot be ported to Public Mobile.
http://www.cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA807.htm

Romans10v9

Thanks for your help. I edited my previous reply, 807 271 ****

@Romans10v9 wrote:

@computergeek541

But I can still use the number fine from the other district? 

Sure, you can use any phone number assigned to you by Public Mobile, but anyone calling you will be calling that city. 

Just to make sure, again - what's the area code and first 3 digits after the area code of the phone number you want to port in? This will let us know for sure if your original request is possible.

Romans10v9

@computergeek541

But I can still use the number fine from the other district?(807) 271

@Romans10v9 wrote:

Yes and you're right, my district wasn't available for numbers, so I just selected the district beside mine... Still has the same area code though. If I decide to keep my number, this shouldn't be a problem should it? 

Sorry, but you can't. If Telus Mobility (Public Mobile) does not have phone numbers assigned to them for that same city, the number can't be ported in. This was explained in the message that Public Mobile showed to you.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Romans10v9 wrote:

@computergeek541

AActually, I think you are right that it is a bell tower now that I think of it, but I thought Bell and Telus shared towers? 

You are correct.  But if Telus does not have a phone switching service at tbaytel service area, Telus still cannot complete the call even Telus gets the signal.

@Romans10v9 wrote:

@computergeek541

AActually, I think you are right that it is a bell tower now that I think of it, but I thought Bell and Telus shared towers? 

That is true but doesn't make a difference. What is the area code and the 3 digits after the area code? 

I will check on the CNAC website, but I'm almost certain that with you being a Tbaytel customer, you won't be able to port your number in. It has nothing to do with them blocking the port out, but rather has to do with number porting rules about a carrier must also offer phone numbers for the same location of the ported phone number.

Romans10v9

Yes and you're right, my district wasn't available for numbers, so I just selected the district beside mine... Still has the same area code though. If I decide to keep my number, this shouldn't be a problem should it? 

Romans10v9

@computergeek541

@kb_mv wrote:

@Romans10v9 Here is the link to their site talking about porting in a number to them....

https://www.tbaytel.net/support/knowledgebase/catid/10

Tbaytel cannot help a customer to port out. It is the carrier that is receiving the phone number that is responsible for providing all support for this.

@Naepalm wrote:

You can always change your number to a Public Mobile number and let your contacts know that you have a new phone number.

Unfortunately, in a case where someone is trying to port a number from a place that is inelible, Public Mobile would not be able to provide a local phone number for that location either.

@RossN wrote:

@Romans10v9 hi who was your previous provider? some smaller providers will not release their numbers 

Much of the area that Tbaytel serves has phone numbers that cannot be ported to Public Mobile.   In this case, the answer given by Public Mobile is likely corrrect. Telus Mobility does not have phone nubmer for much of these Northern Ontario locations and that means that numbers from such places cannot be ported into Public Mobile.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Romans10v9 wrote:

Alright so I was on the phone with tbaytel, and they sent an email to the "porting department" but they are only in office again at 8:30 on Monday. I'm still not so sure it's tbaytel, or else why would the moderator's error be about Telus? 

According to @computergeek541 post below, Telus does not have service at tbaytel service area.

Telus may not have service in your area.

But call Telus to determine where you can port your tbaytel number to Telus.

If you answer is yes, create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

1. Tell SIMon what is the issue
2. Ask for "moderator"
3. SIMon will give your 2 choices. Click on the "Account-specific question"
4. Then, click on "No, I want a human"
5. Click "Submit a ticket"
6. Follow instruction to create support ticket.

After submitted a ticket, members should check their private message SENT folder for their ticket which they just created.
If you cannot find your ticket in your SENT box, You did not create your support ticket yet. Also monitor your INBOX for any reply from moderator.
Click the envelop icon at the top right corner to access your private message mailbox.

You can also enable email notification after receiving a private message at your INBOX.
My settings --> PREFERENCES --> Private Messenger --> enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages' --> Save

@Romans10v9 wrote:

This is so strange because I can see a Telus tower right from my house?? And if I search for networks, Telus shows up (or Public Mobile if I have that sim card in). The Moderator said they can't do anything about it. I guess this is my first and last month of PM unless there's anything you can suggest here on the community, as I like to keep my number. Hope you can help! 

That Telus tower is probably actually a Bell tower.  The fact that you  have a Telus/Public Mobile signal there is not the determining factor. This has come up a few times for members in the Tbaytel terrirtory.  

Romans10v9

Alright so I was on the phone with tbaytel, and they sent an email to the "porting department" but they are only in office again at 8:30 on Monday. I'm still not so sure it's tbaytel, or else why would the moderator's error be about Telus? 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You may have to call to have tbaytel remove port protection. I had to do that with koodo when switching here. Bit of a pain but easy enough to have done

Then moderators finished the port for me after that was removed 🙂

@Romans10v9 Here is the link to their site talking about porting in a number to them....

https://www.tbaytel.net/support/knowledgebase/catid/10

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Romans10v9 

Are you super committed to your phone number?

You can always change your number to a Public Mobile number and let your contacts know that you have a new phone number.

Then you can remain excited about Public! 🙂😎

Romans10v9

Thanks @kb_mv, I really appreciate your help! What do you mean by mentioning a local area??

I just put my name on the "call back" queue, so I will speak to them soon and for sure will let you know! Thanks @RossN as well

@Romans10v9 A brief glance at their site talks about who provides service in a local area. This seems to be the problem. I suggest you contact them and find out exactly what the issue is. It would be great if you could let us know how it goes!

Romans10v9

On my tbaytel contract it says "if the customer disconnects service or converts to the service of a different carrier before end of the contract term, then the customer agrees to pay any early cancellation fees". I thought because I saw this it would work 

@Romans10v9 You should contact them and see what the issue is. Their website talks about being able to port in a number under certain conditions but doesnt mention porting out.

@Romans10v9 wrote:

My provider is Tbaytel, which uses the Rogers towers. I live in northwestern Ontario 

@Romans10v9 they probably don't want to release their phone numbers because they only have a certain amount allotted to them 

Romans10v9

My provider is Tbaytel, which uses the Rogers towers. I live in northwestern Ontario 

Need Help? Let's chat.