cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting success story

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Bell landline to PM....Port requested sat night..fully completed tuesday morning..👍

11 REPLIES 11

@Metal1967 wrote:

Bell landline to PM....Port requested sat night..fully completed tuesday morning..👍

This is good to hear. It's about in-line with the up to 48 hour guideline that is supposed to be followed.

@steff12321 wrote:

@will13am Depends, most places still have FTTN (Fibre to the Node) and not FTTH, so those are definitely still delivered via good old copper and the internet service is a dry loop. The TV is actually IPTV and runs on the internet, but is set up to be independent as not to (significantly) impact internet use while you are watching TV. 

Not too sure how it works in FTTH setups, I would assume everything runs through Fibre but in that case the phone would be even more reliable I would think, since there is near zero latency, and their lines are brand new and support something insane like over 1Tbit/second. 

Rogers, on the other hand has everything running through coax which is much more suceptible to frequency interference and other issues especially over longer distances. Basically VoIP, but over coax instead of over IP. 

I think over time their pure fiber optic infrastructure will exceed performance of the decades old copper wires buried in soil.  There is really no difference between running a fiber line into the house vs a copper wire, just that one is a billion times faster than the other.  On the weekend, I was having a debate with a friend who won't let go of the landline and my arguments didn't seem to phase him.  He really thinks that when he is the last guy in his neighborhood connected to the 50 year old copper line, the service is still as reliable as it was 30 years ago.  Personally, I use wireless home phone which I believe is already as reliable as a landline.  I live in the city which is saturated with cell towers.  The diversity and redundacy is huge. 

@Metal1967 wrote:

@will13am 

Bell called twice actually..first time trying a small reduction in price..second time to offer free crave tv...once declined asyou said..presto..port complete..

The porting system is supposed to be automatic.  They are gaming the system by blocking automatic porting so they can inject sales ads into the process.  If the CRTC had any teeth, this would not be happening. 

steff12321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am Depends, most places still have FTTN (Fibre to the Node) and not FTTH, so those are definitely still delivered via good old copper and the internet service is a dry loop. The TV is actually IPTV and runs on the internet, but is set up to be independent as not to (significantly) impact internet use while you are watching TV. 

Not too sure how it works in FTTH setups, I would assume everything runs through Fibre but in that case the phone would be even more reliable I would think, since there is near zero latency, and their lines are brand new and support something insane like over 1Tbit/second. 

Rogers, on the other hand has everything running through coax which is much more suceptible to frequency interference and other issues especially over longer distances. Basically VoIP, but over coax instead of over IP. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am 

Flyers...yeah...and emails. I'm with Telus for other services and I always get emails promoting one thing or another. But what they're selling isn't available to me in my rural area. Ridiculous.

Bell doesn't have my email and so it is junk mail addressed to generic home owner.  I just my weekly flyer on Monday.  The information will come in handy when I renegotiate my service with their competition. 

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am 

Bell called twice actually..first time trying a small reduction in price..second time to offer free crave tv...once declined asyou said..presto..port complete..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am 

Flyers...yeah...and emails. I'm with Telus for other services and I always get emails promoting one thing or another. But what they're selling isn't available to me in my rural area. Ridiculous.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Good job!  Did Bell provide the customary last minute call to see whether they can get you to change your mind?  I remember porting out of Bell many, many years ago and I was warned by the receiving carrier that the process takes 48 hours to complete.  Actually, the process takes like 10 minutes to complete.  The 48 hours was Bell dragging their feet in finding time to give me sales pitch to not cut the cord.  Literally on the 48th hour, I was called by Bell.  The minute after the call ended, my number ported. 

@Metal1967, welcome to the 21st century!  For those who have not cut the cord because of the view that nothing beats landline reliability, reflect on this.  As less and less people have a real landline, do you honestly think Bell will continue to fund the old infrastructure to ensure the legendary reliability or will they cut corners.  I think even today when you buy home phone from them, it is not on the old copper lines anymore.  It is FTTH, the same infrastructure as their home internet and TV.  That is what the flyers they fill my mail box with says about the service. 

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Metal1967 wrote:

Congrats! Good to know.

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good to hear! Welcome to PM!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Congrats.

It's always good to hear the good result stories. 

Need Help? Let's chat.