cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Porting said succesful, but the phone doesn't think so...

@popping wrote:

@catlang wrote:

I activated a PM sim today and took the phone number I was given. At home I used self serve to port over my old number. The result said successful. On self serve it is showing the correct number ported, on my phone it is showing the number I was given at the store. The phone will not recieve any calls with the ported number or the number that I was originally given. I'm not sure why?

FYI

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.  If you old SIM card is still working, continue to use it until it stops working which indicates your port is completed.  Then, start using you PM SIM card and enjoy your saving with PM.

Porting a mobile number will take couple of hours to couple of days to complete.

Porting a landline number will take about a week to complete.

Sounds reasonable. The last time I did this with PM though, as soon as the self serve page said it was done, it was. This time it's not, that's what has me a bit concerned.

Highlighted

@geopublic wrote:

@catlang wrote:

I activated a PM sim today and took the phone number I was given. At home I used self serve to port over my old number. The result said successful. On self serve it is showing the correct number ported, on my phone it is showing the number I was given at the store. The phone will not recieve any calls with the ported number or the number that I was originally given. I'm not sure why?

@catlang  Power down your phone tunics the sim and wait for 15 minutes. Reinsert your sim and power up does it show the correct number now?

This does not work.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Hmmm...did you check to see if your phone is still compatible? Maybe the phone and hardware experts could chime in. APN  issue perhaps. I know LG phones can be tricky.

Highlighted

@catlang  Power down your phone tunics the sim and wait for 15 minutes. Reinsert your sim and power up does it show the correct number now?

As previously mentioned....

This does not work.

Highlighted

@darlicious wrote:

Hmmm...did you check to see if your phone is still compatible? Maybe the phone and hardware experts could chime in. APN  issue perhaps. I know LG phones can be tricky.

Maybe? It will be replaced by Redmi Note 7 in a couple of weeks.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

I'll chime in with that APN settings do not affect number porting. In fact a customer doesn't even need to have correct APN settings for phone calls and text messaging to work.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I'll chime in with that APN settings do not affect number porting. In fact a customer doesn't even need to have correct APN settings for phone calls and text messaging to work.

Thanks @computergeek541  the tech side is definitely not my strong suit...thanks for chiming in...I'll ring your bell in these situations...lol....thx again.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@catlang wrote:

Sounds reasonable. The last time I did this with PM though, as soon as the self serve page said it was done, it was. This time it's not, that's what has me a bit concerned.

That message on the self-serve screen does not mean that the number port is successful. It only means that Public Mobile has change the assigned phobe number on your account. Public Mobile does this without waiting for the phone number transfer to be complete.

As for the newly activated phone number showing on your phone's screen, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have seen sim cards with an outdated number or no number at all at shown at other carriers and they would still work fine.

How long ago was all this?

Highlighted

That message on the self-serve screen does not mean that the number port is successful. It only means that Public Mobile has change the assigned phobe number on your account. Public Mobile does this without waiting for the phone number transfer to be complete.

As for the newly activated phone number showing on your phone's screen, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have seen sim cards with an outdated number or no number at all at shown at other carriers and they would still work fine.

How long ago was all this?

About 8 Hours.

Highlighted

Thanks, I will not go that route then.