cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting said succesful, but the phone doesn't think so...

catlang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated a PM sim today and took the phone number I was given. At home I used self serve to port over my old number. The result said successful. On self serve it is showing the correct number ported, on my phone it is showing the number I was given at the store. The phone will not recieve any calls with the ported number or the number that I was originally given. I'm not sure why?

28 REPLIES 28

@wkasseckert  I  100% agree with you. I apologise for not seeing your response when written. I would have to thank @geopublic for bringing back up to the forefront. There are those times in with any service provider that everything goes wrong. One is left feeling like Job....disillusioned, neglected and full of despair. In these situations the existence of a call centre greatly improves the ability of the provider to rectify the problem in much more timely manner. Public Mobile simply cannot do this with their service model  and a Chabot named Simon as the head triage nurse. He's no Margaret Houlihan. In your case it didn't matter how hard the community tried we were never going to be able to solve your particular issue it was up to the moderators and public mobile. 

We do not want to forget Sam at London drugs and you are correct he is pure professionalism and a great asset to their electronics department. I know that for a fact as he helped set up my boyfriend's account and was helpful in facilitating my price match SIM card refund. I was in the other day and said hello....next time I will thank him for his fantastic customer service he gave you. 

At no time do I think any company can "get away" with not providing you the service you paid for and they agreed to provide you. Combined with all the extra problems that come with a flash sale you were lost in the shuffle. I do believe as a customer of pm and the savings i personally will give them some leeway in response time but i would not accept the service (or lack there of) you recieved. What i might find acceptable as compensatory credit can be completely different from what you do but I suggest as you wait for a moderators response you think about as should @Alan_K  what would make up for a terrible activation experience and such a lengthy period of time without service to completely remive the bitter taste you must have for pm. I believe you don't want to give up...yes like Job...and I sincerely hope pm can reverse a very poor start and restore your faith in their product. Rocky starts often have sweet endings and wish this for you. And remember the community is here for you even if it's just moral support. I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

*This is a perfect example of the need for a high priority submission form that can attend to the small percentage of customers (usually new activations) that should have their number in the queue  brought forward and dealt with in no more than 48 hrs during busy periods. @CS_Agent 

@wkasseckert wrote:
Thank you
 for responding to my writings.

Unfortunately what happened with my phone and data service at PM was
frustrating. I was unable, despite my registered credit card, to pay
online. (only way to pay) After I went back to the store, I was able to buy a coupon.
It then took three days to activate. Well, the activation did not really happen, as
only the account showed the service payed for, but the phone service was still not working!

It took a further five days, three trips to London Drugs, endless logins and postings
until someone reactivated my account, and I could use my phone. That is a lot of my time and
effort for what normally should be handled by the provider. Then I had no use of my phone for a
further 8 days, despite having payed for that time......!

I am generally very understanding that things happen, however, there are lines where we can not
assume someone will pay for days of not providing their end of the arrangement. I was actually ready to abandon my account at PM and go with a different provider.

I am glad things are up and running again, but honestly I don't believe that I should pay for
the time you couldn't respond to my problem. I was left with no service, could not do business and stay in touch with my family.......That is self explanatory.

If it would not have been for Sam at Lond. Drgs. Broadway Vancouver, working hard to correct the issue, I might be still in left in the dust. Him and I made sure your product works. That is not the way things should go. I should not be having to pay on top of solving problems at your end.

Thanks for your attention with my concern, Wolfgang Kasseckert

@wkasseckert  Best to submit a ticket with your message because only the moderstor can apply the credit.

Submit a Ticket

wkasseckert
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thank you
 for responding to my writings.

Unfortunately what happened with my phone and data service at PM was
frustrating. I was unable, despite my registered credit card, to pay
online. (only way to pay) After I went back to the store, I was able to buy a coupon.
It then took three days to activate. Well, the activation did not really happen, as
only the account showed the service payed for, but the phone service was still not working!

It took a further five days, three trips to London Drugs, endless logins and postings
until someone reactivated my account, and I could use my phone. That is a lot of my time and
effort for what normally should be handled by the provider. Then I had no use of my phone for a
further 8 days, despite having payed for that time......!

I am generally very understanding that things happen, however, there are lines where we can not
assume someone will pay for days of not providing their end of the arrangement. I was actually ready to abandon my account at PM and go with a different provider.

I am glad things are up and running again, but honestly I don't believe that I should pay for
the time you couldn't respond to my problem. I was left with no service, could not do business and stay in touch with my family.......That is self explanatory.

If it would not have been for Sam at Lond. Drgs. Broadway Vancouver, working hard to correct the issue, I might be still in left in the dust. Him and I made sure your product works. That is not the way things should go. I should not be having to pay on top of solving problems at your end.

Thanks for your attention with my concern, Wolfgang Kasseckert

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hey @catlang,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I`d like to point out though that the port in request in itself is shown as successful to point out that you have submitted the request and cannot refer to the actual port in. For the other checkups we need to wait for the old provider `scan` to complete.

Please let me know if I can be of further help, I`ll be happy to do so.

Have a great week ahead,

oana 🙂

Thanks for explanation regarding @catlang  suggestion and makes perfect sense. Although there are mentions of articles regarding how pm works. A pop up link after the successful message to the porting articles and knowledge articles in general would be helpful. There is one for data but a slight redesign to make these stand out at the beginning and the end of the process would be better. I didn't see them til the very end of activation and would have saved hours of frustration and many community questions had I been able to read all the articles. Many of us are functionally computer illiterate but we still try. Thank you @CS_Agent  we do know you work very hard for us. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @catlang,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I`d like to point out though that the port in request in itself is shown as successful to point out that you have submitted the request and cannot refer to the actual port in. For the other checkups we need to wait for the old provider `scan` to complete.

Please let me know if I can be of further help, I`ll be happy to do so.

Have a great week ahead,

oana 🙂

@catlang wrote:

OK, so the problem got sorted out (mostly). There was a bit of missing info in the transfer request and it had to be requested again. No big deal.

PM could fix something that would lead to less confusion: When you put the original request through on the self serve page it should not say "Successful" until it actually is. It should say something like "Pending" until everything is finalized. Saying "Successful" on the page and then not having your phone work properly with the new number leads one to believe that there is an immediate problem. Then you start a thread in the community, then you contact a mod, etc... all of which ties up resources. A simple wording switch might help.

Nice suggestion....glad everything worked out in the end. Welcome to public mobile. Please peruse the community posts to get helpful tips on managing your account, troubleshooting and pro active  measures to avoid or minimize system glitches that can affect your service. Like manually paying your account rather than waiting for auto pay.  A couple of minutes of your time can save hours or days of frustration if a glitch messes with the system. And remember were always here to help.

catlang

OK, so the problem got sorted out (mostly). There was a bit of missing info in the transfer request and it had to be requested again. No big deal.

PM could fix something that would lead to less confusion: When you put the original request through on the self serve page it should not say "Successful" until it actually is. It should say something like "Pending" until everything is finalized. Saying "Successful" on the page and then not having your phone work properly with the new number leads one to believe that there is an immediate problem. Then you start a thread in the community, then you contact a mod, etc... all of which ties up resources. A simple wording switch might help.

@catlang wrote:

How long ago was all this?

About 8 Hours.

If you're transferring the number from another wireless carrier, 8 hours is much too long.  That doesn't mean that it's impossible for it to still go through, but this amount time usually means that request was rejected by the other carrier.  It's time to call the porting centre or to open a trouble ticket at Public Mobile.

@catlang wrote:

That message on the self-serve screen does not mean that the number port is successful. It only means that Public Mobile has change the assigned phobe number on your account. Public Mobile does this without waiting for the phone

number transfer to be complete.

As for the newly activated phone number showing on your phone's screen, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have seen sim cards with an outdated number or no number at all at shown at other carriers and they would still work fine.

About 8 Hours.

Yea that sounds like an unsuccessful port unless you have some partial service. Along with submitting a ticket via Simon if your previous provider is under the telus or bell umbrella use  @geopublic  's post to call the porting dept. to jump start the process if possible.

catlang

I'll chime in with that APN settings do not affect number porting. In fact a customer doesn't even need to have correct APN settings for phone calls and text messaging to work.

Thanks, I will not go that route then.

catlang

That message on the self-serve screen does not mean that the number port is successful. It only means that Public Mobile has change the assigned phobe number on your account. Public Mobile does this without waiting for the phone number transfer to be complete.

As for the newly activated phone number showing on your phone's screen, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have seen sim cards with an outdated number or no number at all at shown at other carriers and they would still work fine.

About 8 Hours.

@catlang wrote:

Sounds reasonable. The last time I did this with PM though, as soon as the self serve page said it was done, it was. This time it's not, that's what has me a bit concerned.

That message on the self-serve screen does not mean that the number port is successful. It only means that Public Mobile has change the assigned phobe number on your account. Public Mobile does this without waiting for the phone number transfer to be complete.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Hmmm...did you check to see if your phone is still compatible? Maybe the phone and hardware experts could chime in. APN  issue perhaps. I know LG phones can be tricky.

I'll chime in with that APN settings do not affect number porting. In fact a customer doesn't even need to have correct APN settings for phone calls and text messaging to work.

Thanks @computergeek541  the tech side is definitely not my strong suit...thanks for chiming in...I'll ring your bell in these situations...lol....thx again.

@darlicious wrote:

Hmmm...did you check to see if your phone is still compatible? Maybe the phone and hardware experts could chime in. APN  issue perhaps. I know LG phones can be tricky.

catlang

@darlicious wrote:

Maybe? It will be replaced by Redmi Note 7 in a couple of weeks.

catlang

@catlang  Power down your phone tunics the sim and wait for 15 minutes. Reinsert your sim and power up does it show the correct number now?

As previously mentioned....

This does not work.

catlang

@geopublic wrote:

@catlang wrote:

I activated a PM sim today and took the phone number I was given. At home I used self serve to port over my old number. The result said successful. On self serve it is showing the correct number ported, on my phone it is showing the number I was given at the store. The phone will not recieve any calls with the ported number or the number that I was originally given. I'm not sure why?

@catlang  Power down your phone tunics the sim and wait for 15 minutes. Reinsert your sim and power up does it show the correct number now?

This does not work.

catlang

@popping wrote:

@catlang wrote:

FYI

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.  If you old SIM card is still working, continue to use it until it stops working which indicates your port is completed.  Then, start using you PM SIM card and enjoy your saving with PM.

Porting a mobile number will take couple of hours to couple of days to complete.

Porting a landline number will take about a week to complete.

Sounds reasonable. The last time I did this with PM though, as soon as the self serve page said it was done, it was. This time it's not, that's what has me a bit concerned.

catlang

@darlicious wrote:

Try rebooting your phone after removing the SIM card for a couple of minutes.

That did not work.

catlang

This is on an ancient LG G3.

@geopublic wrote:

@catlang wrote:

As previously mentioned....

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@catlang wrote:

@catlang  Power down your phone remove the sim and wait for 15 minutes. Reinsert your sim and power up does it show the correct number now?

Edit.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@catlang wrote:

FYI

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.  If you old SIM card is still working, continue to use it until it stops working which indicates your port is completed.  Then, start using you PM SIM card and enjoy your saving with PM.

Porting a mobile number will take couple of hours to couple of days to complete.

Porting a landline number will take about a week to complete.

Try rebooting your phone after removing the SIM card for a couple of minutes.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What phone do you have?  On my android phone, I find the same issue.  After number port, I am no longer seeing the right number in the settings.  Everything works, port was completed.  

catlang

OK, thanks for the reply. I will wait and see what happens. Thanks.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It can take a few hours for the port and once completed then you should receive a text.  Are you porting from Koodo ?  If you still have problems then submit a ticket by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right.

Need Help? Let's chat.