cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting problems. Was charged multiple times but the activation was not successful.

mnure1c
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I tried to port my phone but was not successful. Kept saying error so I tried several times. The Pre pay was set up several times as well. The following day I went to a store to have it ported. But they will not accept my old number. So I got a new temporary number hoping I'll get back my old number. When I checked my credit card transactions days later I gort charged multiple 4x times on the day I tried to port my phone online even though it kept saying errors. There was no confirmation on my email that my phone was ported that day. It seems that they have ported my number and got charged for it multiple times.  I tried setting up an account for my old number thinking it's active with Public but I have no way to check the code they are texting me because I don't have access to it. Now it seems that I have several accounts with Public that I have to pay for. Please help.

19 REPLIES 19

mnure1c

I did send a message to the moderator Saturday  but no reply up to now.  I don’t even know my account number with the SIM #1 because there was no confirmation on my e mail. I was not able to set up a self serve account with SIM # 1 but I did with SIM#2. I did try inserting SIM # 1 but no service. My old provider is Rogers.

@mnure1c wrote:

My account with the old provider is paid up to date but there is no more service. So is my account still active ? My phone number is already taken out from the account. Do you consider that active still ?

My suspicion is that you did port it already you will need the help of mods to sort it out and consolidate to one account. Since you want to open more accounts for your family members maybe you don't have to kill all the accounts as the sims connected to them would go to garbage. But you may be able to modify the plans

Check each sim and see if any would dial out with your old number. You may want to start with the first sim you tried to activate

@mnure1c  who's you old provider? If your account closed is it possible that your number was is fact ported?

mnure1c

My account with the old provider is paid up to date but there is no more service. So is my account still active ? My phone number is already taken out from the account. Do you consider that active still ?

mnure1c

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mnure1c wrote:

Hi. I tried to port my phone but was not successful. Kept saying error so I tried several times. The Pre pay was set up several times as well.

@mnure1c  What a mess. Let's take this from the beginning because this may be a good example to warn others on how to NOT do things. So you had a Public Mobile sim card, let's call it sim# 1 and you tried activating online. When you got to the part to setup your number your selected to port the number from your old provider. The problem is that when you tried this you were getting errors. Questions to answer:

1.  Did you insert sim# 1 into your phone to see if the sim card was activated?
  2. Were you able to setup your selfserve account for sim#1?
  3. Who was your old provider?

If the above answer to both questions was no then this is were you should have messaged the moderators and they would have helped you complete the port and finish the activation.

The following day I went to a store to have it ported. But they will not accept my old number. So I got a new temporary number hoping I'll get back my old number. When I checked my credit card transactions days later I gort charged multiple 4x times on the day

So without knowing what the status of sim#1 was you decided to go to the store and try again with sim#2 (because the store did not want to deal with sim#1). Sim# 2 was activated with a temp number so that you can try the port again. Correct? Big mistake because the port and sim#1 is still the issue. My question are:

1. Since you were not able to setup the port with sim# 2 did you at least setup your selfserve account?
  2. Were does 4 charges come into play. Did you activate a coupe of more sims? If yes, why?

I tried to port my phone online even though it kept saying errors.

Who was your old provider? The reason I ask is depending on your previous provider you need to provide the appropriate info.

There was no confirmation on my email that my phone was ported that day. It seems that they have ported my number and got charged for it multiple times.  I tried setting up an account for my old number thinking it's active with Public but I have no way to check the code they are texting me because I don't have access to it. Now it seems that I have several accounts with Public that I have to pay for. Please help.

At this point you need to deal with the moderators directly. No point in trying all the recommendations here and just wasting time and money. The good new is that even though your account is not active you number will not be released for 90 days after you account becomes inactive so you have time to discuss with the moderator team and plan accordingly.

It's also important to let us know who your previous provider was so that we can let you know what info you need to supply for your port. Most providers use account number, name on account and phone number but there are exceptions like SpeakOut that doesn't use account numbers.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

mnure1c

But my phone became inactive with the old provider 2 days after I tried the porting. Shall I call my old provider and tell them to make my phone active again ? 

@mnure1cPretty much.. if you porting was unsuccessful that means the number is still with the old provider.. For porting to be successful both outgoing and incoming accounts have to be active. If you had let that account lapse the old provider will not release that number to Public Mobile when you try again.

mnure1c

My account with the old  provider was active until it became inactive 2 days after we tried the porting. I paid the full balance and tried the porting again but still unsuccessful. So you mean to say go back to the old provider and make my account active again ?

@mnure1cThe question about the port is your account with your old provider.. is it active? It has to be active (ie paid up to date) in order for the port to happen successfully. Now if the problem is if your port is stuck.. you still need to keep your old account active until you get it fixed up.

mnure1c

The porting was done July 20. The rep tried all the SIM cards but did not work saying error. I used the 3 cards for my new number, and 2 for my children. I have another one left which was used originally when I tried the porting myself for my phone. So altogether there are 7 different credit card  charges. Supposedly only 3. The  credit card charges screenshot I sent was only for my phone. How do I recover my old phone number ?

mnure1c

EE017FA3-9552-4603-8F08-CC444D457DA4.jpeg

@mnure1cAt Public Mobile each number attached to a SIM card is considered a seperate account. I think it will be useful to consider your 4 SIM cards seperately and sort it out that way.

BTW do you mean July or June? Because you mentioned the porting was done last weekend?

mnure1c

When I sign in  the self serve it contains the info for the new number. I cannot access my old number. I also forgot to mention that when I went to the store the rep tried 4 SIM cards to port my phone. I had the 4 SIM cards because I was planning to port my children's phone as well. He tried all 4  of them on my phone but was saying error at the end. Each time the auto pay was set up. There was no confirmation at all that the activation was successful. The unsuccessful porting was done last weekend because I was trying to get the promo that ended last Sunday, June 21.  On Monday afternoon June 22, I lost my service from my old provider. So I went back to the store with the 4 SIM cards thinking the porting was done. He tried all 4 of them but still saying error. Because I was desperate, not having any service from both providers, I decided to activate a new number hoping that I can get my old number back. I had my old number for 20 long years. The rep also ported the other 2 SIM cards for my children's phone and that went well. Today I found out  that I was charged 4 times more. So here are the problems : I got charged 4 times more; I did not get the promo that ended June 21 plus the auto pay discount; I cannot access my old phone number. Hope the additional info helps.

What happens when you try to activate self-serve using your old number and the email address you used when you tried to port originally?

mnure1c

The porting was done last Saturday July 20. It's been a week. Thanks

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mnure1c wrote:

Hi. I tried to port my phone but was not successful. Kept saying error so I tried several times. The Pre pay was set up several times as well. The following day I went to a store to have it ported. But they will not accept my old number. So I got a new temporary number hoping I'll get back my old number. When I checked my credit card transactions days later I gort charged multiple 4x times on the day I tried to port my phone online even though it kept saying errors. There was no confirmation on my email that my phone was ported that day. It seems that they have ported my number and got charged for it multiple times.  I tried setting up an account for my old number thinking it's active with Public but I have no way to check the code they are texting me because I don't have access to it. Now it seems that I have several accounts with Public that I have to pay for. Please help.

@mnure1c The only way we can help you is if you post a screenshot of your payment history. Please remove any private info before posting since this is a public forum.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you get the screenshot and if you can the reference numbers for the charges on the credit card. Also keep you receipt and take screenshot of it,  basically you will have to ask mods to help you with the access to your first original account (where your number was ported even though the port is not done yet) and ask them to move all the funds to that account. As you were charged 5 times in total you won't have to pay for the next 4 cycles.

Still add your credit to autopay if you wish to collect rewards for it, you just won't be charged for long time.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry for the problems you have experienced. Porting can take up to 48 hours. You need to be an active subscriber at your previous cellular provider. Considering the fact it's the weekend, the porting may take longer. 

In regards to the multiple charges (and to inquire about the porting issue) contact a moderator vai private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It can take up to 48 hours or longer to get a reply. Send a message right away so you get into queue. Best of luck 

Need Help? Let's chat.