cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting phone number with different account holder name

lancelaffin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, I am signing up for public mobile.  I would like to port my existing phone number from Koodo to my new public mobile plan.  The name of the account holder on my Koodo account is my father's name, as he purchased the phone years ago as a gift.  My new Public Mobile account will be in my name.  I need to guarantee that I will be able to use my existing phone number when switching to Public Mobile.  How would I best go about this?

5 REPLIES 5

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@lancelaffin wrote:

Hi there, I am signing up for public mobile.  I would like to port my existing phone number from Koodo to my new public mobile plan.  The name of the account holder on my Koodo account is my father's name, as he purchased the phone years ago as a gift.  My new Public Mobile account will be in my name.  I need to guarantee that I will be able to use my existing phone number when switching to Public Mobile.  How would I best go about this?

Aside from the process which has been well-documented in responses, we ported a number from Koodo which was in my name into an account that another family member currently uses in their name.

So no problem doing this - all you need to ensure is you have the Koodo account number and the name registered under the Koodo account and you're good to go!!!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

No worry,  there is no issue with a different account holder names on PM and  Koodo .   

When you submit the request, they will ask  you to enter the account name on the Port In provider and they will use SMS to confirm if an approval is given to Port.  They don't need to have account names match up on both sides.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@lancelaffin wrote:

@lancelaffin ,

Yes, @RossN posted you need to port as if you are your father, basically. 

But once you have your Public Mobile account set up you can change it to whatever name you want it to be. I actually recommend not evening using your own name, or maybe just a version of your name. It would be better protected from fraudsters this way.

Transferring A Number From TELUS Or Koodo (Including Formerly PC Mobile)?

If you wish to transfer an existing number from TELUS or Koodo (including formerly PC Mobile), you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.

@HALIMACS  beat me to the punch there 😁

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

This is how you do it, @lancelaffin 

Transferring A Number From TELUS Or Koodo (Including Formerly PC Mobile)?

If you wish to transfer an existing number from TELUS or Koodo (including formerly PC Mobile), you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.

You may also wish to read this article on porting:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@lancelaffin wrote:

@lancelaffin hi you will need the account info on your koodo account to transfer you will need a moderators assistance to port your number you must first take a temp number at activation  what you put on your new public account is your choice 

Need Help? Let's chat.