cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting numbers - realistic timelines

TickingMind
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife and I are sick and tired of another providers promises that they just do not keep. How long does it take in "realistic" business days or hours to port numbers from one provider to another. Reading through messages I understand I have to have the exact account and billing details available for the port to occur but we cannot lose our numbers. Two phone numbers under one account #.

I also understand that a temporary number will be assigned until the port is complete.

I am fine with that, been there and done that - but quality of service - will they do it in a set time frame as well as we have to travel and need our phones working under PM with our ported numbers. Thanks all!!!

29 REPLIES 29

hennaco

I am new to Public Mobile.

I ported my number from 7-11 SpeakOut.... Following the online instructions at Public Mobile it took about 3 hours to complete the switch.  No issues, incoming and outgoing calls working as promised.....  Congrats to Public Mobile.

It usually takes a few hours.  If it has been over 2 hours then submit a ticket to a moderator.

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help -> on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got my mobile number ported in just 1 day. My last one took 2 days. Usualling its 2-3 days for landlines and mobiles from the big providers.

Rethna

Thanks you very much Mayor for your quick response. 

Question is, is there a way to figure out what's happening as when I contacted my preivous service provider, they said that nothing has been initiated from PM. 

Also, is that mean, no one can call me for 1 week and I can't text anyone for 1 week?  

Currently, I am only able to make phone calls and nothing else. 

Regards,

Rethna 

@Rethna

You should expect to wait one or two business days before the port fully completes on all ends.

Technically, MNPs in Canada can take up to 10 days. 30 days in some provinces.

Realistically, MNPs can take 5 minutes for some people, hours for most, one or two or three days at most (waits of up to a week or longer are unusual but not unheard of).

Don't forget to restart your phone periodically. 

Rethna

Hi,

I have the similar problem, where I am porting from Petro Canada Mobility.  The issue is that I can se that I am able to make calls, but not able to send SMS.  In addition, I am not able to receive text and calls.  How long do I have to wait.  I have already waited more than 3 hours.

Rethna

mauricedaher

I will check it out as well. I know it's all based on the download and upload speed of the carrier sometimes. Signal could be lost...

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Groundwire with “Push notification” is one of the most reliable VoIP application but not 100%.

mauricedaher

Yes, there is no hold, nor any fees. the account is active and I have paid them for a whole year. the number is very valuable to me, and I have been missing lots of calls using VOIP. Therefore moving it over to a good network will be at best.. I will continue waiting and hoping this will be finalized properly.

@mauricedaher  click here! 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

VoIP can take up to 7  business days  so hold tight.  You're sure you had the right account number from the VoIP account and they didn't put a hold or a fee on that account to port it? 

mauricedaher

Yes, it is a VOIP number. I will wait and find out for tomorrow if it gets fully transferred. if not how can I reach out to the moderator_team

@mauricedaher   did you message the moderator_team for help because it should be completed by now if it's a landline or cell phone number!  If it's a VoIP number it could still take a few days 

mauricedaher

I been waiting for my number to PORT over from a different carrier to Public Mobile, and it's been 3 days and nothing happened yet.. I can dial out from the phone, I can text back and forth. but anyone that calls me, it goes to the older carrier. I have given password, user name, full address, account name, and still not working... What should I be doing next to resolve this issue. What information do you require to speed up the process. 

Both of my TELUS to PM ports took less than 60 seconds to be fully functional. They were done three months apart. One was a TELUS Pay & Talk Prepaid Plan and the other a TELUS retirees Post Paid account.

Terry

aneelrajani

@Psygineer wrote:

@TickingMind wrote:

My wife and I are sick and tired of another providers promises that they just do not keep. How long does it take in "realistic" business days or hours to port numbers from one provider to another. Reading through messages I understand I have to have the exact account and billing details available for the port to occur but we cannot lose our numbers. Two phone numbers under one account #.

I also understand that a temporary number will be assigned until the port is complete.

I am fine with that, been there and done that - but quality of service - will they do it in a set time frame as well as we have to travel and need our phones working under PM with our ported numbers. Thanks all!!!

You can't have two numbers under one account number on Public Mobile.

Porting times vary depending on where the numbers are coming from. Mobile to Mobile can take up to half a day (although most are done within 2 hours or less).

Landlines can take 2-3 Business days.

VOIP can take up to a week.

Assuming all data provided is correct. Some carriers will attempt to buy you back by making a last ditch offer before releasing your number. This can cause a delay until an agent has their chance with you.

Mine took 4 hours on a Monday around noon ET.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The number transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number. When you transfer a landline number, the process can take up to 3 business days. When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As people answered above, I don't think you can have two numbers on one account. However, If you have a phone with dual sim, you need to register two accounts or you may have another phone. 

Pay for a little overlap between old and new services - maybe a week or so - to allow for a few business days and for recovery from problems. Expect 24-48 hours delay for each two-way round of email tag with PM.  Expect long delays if you happen to need PM mods when they're all overwhelmed by response to a killer promo. A Canada-to-Canada MNP usually takes only minutes or a few hours but it can take up to 10 days (31 days in some Provinces/Territories), ten or twenty bucks is a small price to pay for "insurance" if the number is worth keeping. 

bruce427

I recently switched my wife's and my phones from Rogers.  They were under one share everything account there.  We set up two separate accounts with PM, and ported our previous numbers over.  In both cases, the numbers ported over within a couple of minutes.  I was very pleased with the transfer.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@TickingMind Hopefully you've migrated to PM already. If not my caveat to add to this thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

Realistic: couple hours for wireless to wireless. Couple days from landline. If there are hiccups, it can take longer.

Master2001

If I take for granted you are the first who had a phone with your old provider than add a second phone for your wife.

First: Activate both Public Mobile SIM with a new number.

Second: Port your wife phone number to Public mobile.

Third: When your wife can receive calls with Public mobile, port your phone number to Public mobile.

Don't call or cancel your old provider before both phones (you and your wife) can receive calls with Public mobile SIM.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TickingMind  as mentioned if all goes well with the port then it is quick.

It's when things don't go well and you need mod help. I am at hour 50  now waiting for mods to initiate a port on a new account.

Typically mods are needed for failed ports, when incorrect porting info is provided 

Or when there are issues porting the number because of the number itself ie Koodo prepaid. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@TickingMind wrote:

@TickingMind  Who is the provider?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@TickingMindJust be aware if anything requiring moderators intervention it will take 48hours + for a reply.. that's what a lot of people on this forum get fustrated about. There are a few variables eg if it is a stuck port, it will take longer, so calculate that in your estimate.

If you read closely at Publc Mobile's material.. they are deliberately vague.. they don't make any promises.

Remember this is the lowest tier of the Telus empire.. so you will have to modulate your expectations, if things go bad it won't be fast.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TickingMind 

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should send a private message to moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

Usually, PM finish the stage 1 process very quickly so that their new subscriber can use the old number to dial out or text out.  Stage 2. it will depend on the old provider how quickly releasing your phone number to PM.

I had ported 3 numbers from the following providers:

Rogers - 30 minutes

Speakout - 4 hours

Koodo postpaid - within a few minutes

goldilock

@TickingMind To add on to what was already posted, when you activate your SIm with PM you will be able to make calls and texts right away. However, calls and texts to your phone number will go to the Sim card of the company you are leaving (until they release the number to PM) so you can continue to receive calls and texts to your number during the port on that Sim card. Once the port is complete, you will receive a text from public mobile on your PM sim to notify you that the port was successful. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@TickingMind hi you will need two separate emails for starters I just did one it was almost instant others have taken a few hours it really depends on where you are porting from 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TickingMind wrote:

You can't have two numbers under one account number on Public Mobile.

Porting times vary depending on where the numbers are coming from. Mobile to Mobile can take up to half a day (although most are done within 2 hours or less).

Landlines can take 2-3 Business days.

VOIP can take up to a week.

Assuming all data provided is correct. Some carriers will attempt to buy you back by making a last ditch offer before releasing your number. This can cause a delay until an agent has their chance with you.

Need Help? Let's chat.