cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting numbers from a family plan

Derk1284
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We’re currently with Telus looking at switching to PM.  My husband and I have our phones under one account with Telus.  I understand PM doesn’t have this option, which is fine, I just want to know how it works to get set up.  I’m the account holder with Telus, if I port my number to PM first, will my Telus account still remain open with my husband’s number? (I read that Telus account will close when porting is successful, but I just don’t know how it works with multiple lines on one account). We’d be looking at porting both of our numbers to PM, but would probably do them one at a time to make sure we don’t have any issues/not without a phone.  And I would assume that I would be the authorized person for porting both numbers?

10 REPLIES 10

@Derk1284 

If your husband wants to wait and see before he ports his number over he should arrange to have his number/ name take over the account before you port over to pm. There has been issues in the past when the account holder ports out and the provider has closed the account. Since its telus pm's parent company its unlikely to happen but it's always good to play it safe.

When it comes to you porting at the end of your contract  mobile providers are required to not charge any penalties per se. Your contract considers  your plan and your device subsidy as two separate entities. Your plan you can end at any time penalty free with the unused portion of your (postpaid) plan prorated.Your device subsidy portion is subject to an early cancellation fee (ECF). The ECF is charged on a monthly basis. If you cancel or port out with 4 months remaining on your contract your ECF would be 4 x device subsidy. However if you port out 2 days or one week or halfway thru your months billing period you will be billed the prorated amount of your entire monthly bill but the device portion will be considered paid in full.

For example your monthly bill is $90. Of which $60 is your plan amount and $30 is your device subsidy. If you ported out your phone number on September 30th with two months (Oct and Nov) remaining on your contract you would be billed $30 x2 months device subsidy =$60+ 2 x$0 plan amount=$0.Your bill will be $60+tax. You come to your final month of your contract and you port out on the 31st day of October  your final bill will be $120+ taxes(1x$60 plan+2x$30 device subsidy) and any extra charges you might have incurred (roaming, long distance etc....) However if you port out on the 2nd day of November (your contracts final month #24) you have your bill prorated 2 days x $3 ($2=plan $1=device subsidy)=$6 bill. The $2 (2 days x$1) for your device subsidy is considered an entire month paid (=$30). By porting out early in your final month you save on your device subsidy ($28) plus the amount of a cheaper but equal plan (ie $40/5gb plan)$60 (telus plan)-$40(pm plan) =$20 savings+$28'=$48 savings by porting out 2 days into your final month's contract.

Order your sim cards from Canadian cell supplies when they have them on sale for about $3 (this weekend they were $1.99 currently $6.99.) The $48 you save will cover your first month at public mobile ( register your email today, activate and port out your phone number by October 2nd ( if this is within your final month's billing period) and you will benefit from getting your second month (30 days) for free. With your auto pay reward (2×$2=$4) your referral code bonus credit ($10) your savings from telus ($48) and free month credit ($40) you will get a benefit of $102 by porting out early in your final month with telus.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Derk1284 

First register for the discount here

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/fs2020 

Today is the last day so make sure that you put more emails than you need just in case.

You can also use aliases

Name@gmail name+1@gmail name+2@gmail

Then call your Walmart to see if they offer free sim with in-store activation (you may have to wait a bit, most frequently till weekend if you'd like to take advantage of that)

You have until October 2nd (11.59pm I believe) to get 2nd month free

Don't forget to ask your friends for referral code

If your husband decides he wants to try it out you can use your own code and activate it for him as well, if he likes it he can transfer his number any time. I suggest again trying Walmart for free sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

And don't forget a referral code for the first one and then use the new one for the second account when the time comes.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Derk1284 wrote:

Thanks great to hear!  I’m not sure how willing my husband will be to switch, but if I can switch first and he can see that everything’s great, then I’ll be able to get him to switch.

my husband is on a BYOD plan with them already, and my contract is up next month (and my phone will be paid in full)

Since you are the owner of both number on your account, you can port your number to PM first to test the service.  Make sure you provide the name on the account, account number and the phone number to be ported.  Double check the phone number.  You don't want to port the wrong number to PM.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Each number will be assigned to a SIM card. You'll have to provide the old Telus account number associated with the phone number, which will be ported over. The old Telus account will be deactivated automatically. It's actually better to have each number under a different name so you can get a referral bonus and other bonuses. It's better to complete this transaction at one of their physical locations, such as in a mall like I did when I ported over.

@Derk1284 wrote:

Thanks great to hear!  I’m not sure how willing my husband will be to switch, but if I can switch first and he can see that everything’s great, then I’ll be able to get him to switch.

my husband is on a BYOD plan with them already, and my contract is up next month (and my phone will be paid in full)

@Derk1284 hi as long as you are comfortable getting help online either here in the community with customers like you or account issues with moderators who are public employees then it is a great place with great savings welcome 

Derk1284
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Derk1284 wrote:

We’re currently with Telus looking at switching to PM.  My husband and I have our phones under one account with Telus.  I understand PM doesn’t have this option, which is fine, I just want to know how it works to get set up.  I’m the account holder with Telus, if I port my number to PM first, will my Telus account still remain open with my husband’s number? (I read that Telus account will close when porting is successful, but I just don’t know how it works with multiple lines on one account). We’d be looking at porting both of our numbers to PM, but would probably do them one at a time to make sure we don’t have any issues/not without a phone.  And I would assume that I would be the authorized person for porting both numbers?

@Derk1284 hello when my wife and I moved  the account was in my name I moved here first and account wasn't effected then she moved its still opened with our son not willing to move also if there are any phones that need to be paid off then you can't move that number until phone is paid off 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Derk1284 wrote:

Set up his PM account first, then port his number over. Once that's done successfully, make the switch with yours. After both accounts are ported to PM, your Telus account will close automatically.

Remember each PM account needs a separate sim card and email address. You can use the same credit card though.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Derk1284 wrote:

@Derk1284 hi yes your telus account will stay open until last number is ported  remember you need separate emails for your new Public accounts 

Need Help? Let's chat.