cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number from Virgin

jrboodoosingh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I think I'm ready to sign up for this seemingly very inexpensive cell service! I just have one question before I take the plunge and buy a SIM card. Has anyone had any issues porting a number from Virgin? I'd love to be able to keep my current phone number. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jrboodoosinghBefore you purchase the SIM, I highly suggest you consider how much hand holding would you need out from a provider. Public Mobile is cheaper because they don't have a call center, so any problems you might encounter might take the moderators up to 48 hours to get back to you. I would not recommend Public Mobile if your work or life depends on it and you don't have a backup.

IF that's okay. Get the SIM card, activate the card with a temporary number first, make sure everything works well. Then initiate a transfer from Virgin to Public, don't do opening an account and transfer all in one step, it is safer to do it seperately. (make sure your Virgin account is active during the process, so don't lapse / cancel the account). Be prepared to have your Virgin account number, name etc all ready to go.

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.31.24 AM.png

Also if you live close to a location with an official Public Mobile kiosk, you usually get SIM card for free and some extra freebies. Also there is a deal going on this weekend.

@jrboodoosingh wrote:

Hi

I think I'm ready to sign up for this seemingly very inexpensive cell service! I just have one question before I take the plunge and buy a SIM card. Has anyone had any issues porting a number from Virgin? I'd love to be able to keep my current phone number. Thanks!

I really shouldn't be any different than porting in from any other wireless carrier.  You should be fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.