cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number from Speakout - Apply also to Petro-Canada Mobility

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Last year, couple months after I topup my mother's 7-11 Speakout account, I discovered the PM $10 50/50 plan which is much cheaper than Speakout.  Speakout minute rate is 30 cents per minute + $1.25 per month fix charge.  While PM $10 50/50 plan's minute rate is 20 cents per minute.  The minutes rate will be even lower after the autopay and refer-a-friend rewards.

Over 10 months on PM community forum, I found out the details on how to port a number from 7-11 Speakout mobile service to PM.

Ztar Mobile is the manager for the 7-11 Speakout, Petro-Canada Mobility and good2go mobile services.  Therefore, what I discuss here applies to Petro-Canada Mobility as well.

I provided the following information to port my Speakout number to PM this afternoon.  My Speakout number was fully ported to PM in 4 hours.

1.  Speakout phone number to be ported

2.  Speakout does not have account number.  I use my Speakout phone number for the account number.

3.  I asked Speakout to give me the IMEI number on my Speakout account.  I was given only the last 4 digits of my IMEI.  Speakout CSR told me that it is the IMEI number of my current phone.  Therefore, no need to call Speakout.  Just dial *#06# on your phone to get the IMEI number from your phone.

4.  I also supply my Speakout account 4 digits PIN number as I don't want to wait for 2 - 3 day for moderator after failed port.

5.  The name on my Speakout account.

6.  I also provide a phone number for PM to call me in case of problem.

4 hours after I initiated to port my Speakout number, I received a text message from (400)500-0205 saying my transfer request has been completed successfully.  I quickly dialed and sent a text to my Speakout number.  The phone with the PM SIM card rang and received the test text message.

18 REPLIES 18

anniepau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't know because customer service handled it, but my understanding is that the account number can be left blank because Speakout doesn't use it at all, so only used to satisfy the forms and checks/balances on Public Mobile side.

HI @anniepau 

and do they put the PIN in the account number section?

great info @anniepau 

thanks

anniepau

An update to the porting out process from Speakout, from information gleaned after talking to Speakout customer service, and from multiple failed attempts by Public Mobile to port the number from Speakout:

• Porting via PIN only will work.  Public only allows a 9 or 11 digit account number entry, and Speakout doesn't require it, and even if it did, it would be the phone number which is 10 digits.
  • If you are attempting a port using the IMEI, getting it from your current phone might result in a failed porting attempt, because Speakout uses the IMEI at time of activation or at some point in your account history, not the IMEI currently on the network.  This means that for older Speakout accounts, you might need the IMEI from a phone several years ago.  You can call into Speakout customer service and provide them the IMEI that you have to see if it matches what they have on the account.  If it does, then you can port with the IMEI only, instead of the PIN.  If you no longer have access to that IMEI, they will not disclose the IMEI to you, and you will have to ask Public Mobile to port via PIN only.

@Owa wrote:

new to here, would like to transfer speakout to PM. 

You mentioned you have a 4 digit PIN for speak out, I could not find anywhere in my account the PIN. Would you advise?  

You should be fine using just the IMEI for the number porting request.

Owa

thank you. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Owa

new to here, would like to transfer speakout to PM. 

You mentioned you have a 4 digit PIN for speak out, I could not find anywhere in my account the PIN. Would you advise? 

Thank you! 

noemia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Followed this procedure and had no issues with Petro-Canada Mobility.  Received the porting successful message after an hour but it took the full 3 hours until I could receive calls and texts.

rooster

Thank you, this information was very helpful!

@JAC70 wrote:

I don't recall needing a ticket when I ported my family's phones over from Speakout.  I just entered the IMEI number where prompted in the port request.  IIRC, porting from Speakout was the fastest I've ever seen, much quicker than porting from Koodo, which did require a ticket.

For Speakout, you make the request in Self Serve. You need IMEI or IMEI+PIN. Never use account number for porting from Speakout.

JAC70

I don't recall needing a ticket when I ported my family's phones over from Speakout.  I just entered the IMEI number where prompted in the port request.  IIRC, porting from Speakout was the fastest I've ever seen, much quicker than porting from Koodo, which did require a ticket.

@MarioFYou send a message to the moderators by clicking on the ? on the lower right hand corner and cnat with SIMon, once you think it understands you, type submit ticket so a support ticket will be generated for you.

@MarioF wrote:

You write about supplying the requested information. How is that done? How do I send the requested information to Public Mobile. I was told to clink the Contact Us link but it does not exist.

Click on question symbol. You need to submit a ticket.

MarioF

You write about supplying the requested information. How is that done? How do I send the requested information to Public Mobile. I was told to clink the Contact Us link but it does not exist.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Great step by step. I think this should be tagged to the pmguide!

tonyottawa

Well done writing. I hope I saw this before I do the porting.  Speakout --> Public Mobile took much longer time than other providers --> Public Mobile. 

I did Speakout porting with Phone number  + IMEI  + Owner name such as Joe Doe. Took 6 hours to be ported from SpeakOut wireless. 

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wonderful write up. 

Need Help? Let's chat.