cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number from Koodo

Five_bucks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm very new to PM - in fact none of my friends are on it. I'm trying to port my number from Koodo to PM and I feel like it's sacred knowledge.

The web form during activation of my SIM on PM told me to select a new number before trying to port my Koodo number over. Once selecting a new number I had to contact them for help on the process.

Is this how I start the porting process?

20 REPLIES 20

aweiman

pre paid

kdh53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just did this and the transfer of number to public mobile was instant. koodo will then send a final bill (email) of amount owing to close the account. So their bill does not need to be paid before transfering the number.

@woweh69 wrote:

You only need the serial number if you "Do not own your phone" I believe. I just ported from Koodo, took 2 minutes to transfer and I left the serial number blank.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do not own your phone", but ownership of the phone doesn't have anything to do with number porting.  As long as a phone has not been reported lost or stolen and is compatible, it will work at Public Mobile, regardless of if you own the phone yourself, are borrowing it from a friend or family member, or found it on the sidewalk. 

As for serial number, it's actually the IMEI that is used, which isn't quite the same. In most cases, it's best to avoid using IMEI number for number porting.  You're far better off using the old carrier's account number in most situations. 

I know you're new around here, so you might not have noticed, but there has been no activity in this message thread for nearly a month, and as such, the questions that pepole had have likley already been answered.

woweh69

You only need the serial number if you "Do not own your phone" I believe. I just ported from Koodo, took 2 minutes to transfer and I left the serial number blank.

d8yan

I think this depends which way of payment you were with koodo:

if you were prepaid customer, you definitely need message moderateo;

if you were postpaid customer, you can port the number by youself through self-service after you activate the new SIM.

The most save way is to set up a new number before you porting old number.

@Mummak wrote:

absolutely correct, if you do as advised by others and port via self help you will lose service until a moderator gets it straightened out

@Ladycass05 wrote:

You can’t Port a Koodo or Telus # that way. Need a mod for help 

No you don't. That happens because something went wrong. You can port from Telus yourself and Koodo postpaid yourself. Many have done it and didn't lose service. 

@Mummak wrote:

5) Create a message and address it to "moderator team", for subject I put "port of Koodo number" the give them the details of the old number that you want to port along with your "new" number (from Public) and your phone's IMEI number which you can get by dialing *#06# on the telephone keypad and include a contact number where you can be reached.  My phone has two IMEI numbers as it has two SIM slots, I gave them both.   

Several people have suggested using the self-service change number feature, this may work for other providers but it did not work for me changing the Koodo number - but if you are adventurous go ahead - try it.

It is Moderator_Team.  Moderator Team won't work.  If it is Koodo postpaid, you are suppose to port yourself. Prepaid yo have no choice but to ask moderators.

Mummak

I ported two Koodo numbers this week.  The first time I lost service because I didn't do it correctly.  I did the self porting as some suggest, the porting terminated my Koodo service but cut off the Public Service (that I had verified as being in existence).  I think this is likely because both are through the Telus system and so when you identify the device and terminate the service it cuts off all service through their system.  I then messaged a moderator and the service on my old number was ported to Public overnight.

Here is how you need to do it to ensure that you don't lose service.

1)  Get your new Public SIM card and go online, create an account and authorize the SIM.

2) When you get to the part about creating a new number DO IT,  create a new number for your SIM and go through the process.  After you select a plan and if you do auto pay you will have service on the new number that you selected when you complete the registration and authorization procedure.

3) Once you have created your self serve account you can back out and now you need to create an account to join "the community" in order to message a moderator.  There is a link to the community at the bottom of the page. 

4) When you have set up a new community account go in there and at the top right there is an icon of an envelope, click on that and then look for the orange "create message" icon. 

5) Create a message and address it to "moderator team", for subject I put "port of Koodo number" the give them the details of the old number that you want to port along with your "new" number (from Public) and your phone's IMEI number which you can get by dialing *#06# on the telephone keypad and include a contact number where you can be reached.  My phone has two IMEI numbers as it has two SIM slots, I gave them both.   

Several people have suggested using the self-service change number feature, this may work for other providers but it did not work for me changing the Koodo number - but if you are adventurous go ahead - try it.

Mummak

absolutely correct, if you do as advised by others and port via self help you will lose service until a moderator gets it straightened out

@Ladycass05 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ladycass05 wrote:

Welcome. Good of you to jump in and participate. Notice the green bar and checkmark? That indicates that whoever started the thread received a reply that he thought was the solution. So this thread is kinda done. Fine if you're adding new information, but not really necessary when you're saying the same things. Even worse when what you're adding isn't correct.

Ladycass05

@Five_bucks 

Also make sure people can dial to you. That's another test.. ability to dial / text out is usually the first to be activated.. but people dialing in comes later and gets complicated sometimes.

Five_bucks

I just received an unanticipated email from Koodo saying, "sorry you're gone" or some such and then I put the SIM in my phone and I asked for a test text. That worked.

Looks like I'm good!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Five_bucks 

So you checked a solution...is it working now?

Five_bucks

I did deeper digging and found that function. I put in my info as best as I could, but the equipment serial number the form asks for is an alpha-numeric string. The form on the self-serve page will only accept numerals. I typed the whole thing into the text box on the form, so hopefuly they can make sense of it.

Also, when I clicked on 'submit' button, the button went slightly gray, the form was still populated, and there was no acknowledgement that anything happened. Hopefully it worked, because when I tried to fill in the form again, it said the number wasn't elligible for transfer and it wouldn't displa the form at all.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TheOldVR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Five_bucks wrote:

Monthly plan, post-paid.

You can do it yourself using the Change Number feature and select transfer.

Yup - through self-service and ur good to go.

Just be careful to enter in correct details for the port.

Make sure to include an alternate phone number so that Telus porting department can call you for more info if needed.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Five_bucks wrote:

Monthly plan, post-paid.

Yup - through self-service and ur good to go.

Just be careful to enter in correct details for the port.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Five_bucks wrote:

Monthly plan, post-paid.

Five_bucks

Monthly plan, post-paid.

GR
Mayor / Maire

Are you on Koodo pre paid or monthly plan? 

Need Help? Let's chat.