cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from a different geographic region?

CarCareGuru
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have one more question before I consider signing up. I had an Ontario number before and I kept it after I moved to BC. Will I be able to port that number and keep it when I switch to PM while still living in BC? I am with Rogers currently if that makes any difference.

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6

@CarCareGuru, if the reason you wish to keep the Ontario number is that you want friends and family "back home" to be able to reach you without updating their contact lists, realize everyone in BC will be calling you 'Long Distance' and potentially racking up extra charges.

If you must keep your Ontario phone number for this, perhaps you can change the platform you use?  The free (and option to get the premium for more features) Fongo Canada-wide calling and texting (between Fongo users texting only) is a very good option (it's my backup system if my Public Mobile goes down).  Facebook Messenger is multi-platform capable, as is WhatsApp (watch out - heard there's a new malware in it recently), iMessage/Facetime on iOS devices.

The option is up to you, but your day-to-day use locally, in my opinion, is more important.  For me, having a local contact number is #1 priority.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Oh one more thing

Don't forget to ask your family or friends for a referral, you'll get extra 10 for it and they will get 1 monthly.

Hope you like it here

Cheers

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@CarCareGuru wrote:

Hello,

I have one more question before I consider signing up. I had an Ontario number before and I kept it after I moved to BC. Will I be able to port that number and keep it when I switch to PM while still living in BC? I am with Rogers currently if that makes any difference.

Thank you,

@CarCareGuru  Not an issue at all. As long as your Rogers account is active and you can provide the account#, name on account and phone number you should be good to go. My recommendation is to activate with a PM temp number first and create your selfserve account and once you are satisfied on how everything works and you are ready then setup the port via selfserve by selecting the change number option.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It definitely should work

I kept my number when I relocated and knew it was a temporarily deal.

Your number won't be local for people around you I used fongo at the time for that, they have free forwarding to most of Ontario

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CarCareGuru 

Yes, you can keep the Ontario number while you are living in BC.

BC sale tax + GST is 12%.

ON HST is 13%.

You are paying extra 1% sale tax on your cheap PM plan.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@CarCareGuruyou can keep your number, just be aware people who doesn't have canada wide free calling will be charged long distance.

Need Help? Let's chat.