cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Telus

Howiepm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry for the newbie question.

Activated on Monday and decided not to port my wife's Telus prepaid number during activation.

My question is does it matter doing it during the day or evening? The process is automated right?

If something goes wrong does it mean the phone will be dead until it got fixed? I heard it could be days before it gets fix by the mods as they are very very busy lately. (Wife won't be happy without her phone Smiley LOL )

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

@DJN wrote:

I would like to add, porting from a Telus prepaid account will bring your Telus account to $0.00! Call Telus first to refund your balance BEFORE you port! I made the mistake of not doing this, ugh - clueless, and lost my entire balance 😞

Telus does not refund prepaid account balances, so, it would have not have made a difference either way.  The only thing that you could have done differently would have been to use the balannce up.

DJN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to add, porting from a Telus prepaid account will bring your Telus account to $0.00! Call Telus first to refund your balance BEFORE you port! I made the mistake of not doing this, ugh - clueless, and lost my entire balance 😞

Howiepm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you all for the quick response.

This community is GREAT!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

A number port from Telus should take a split second to complete, literally.  Regardless of where the porting number is originating from, the key is to double check all the entries before submitting.  I have never been a Telus customer before and so I don't know how they show the account number on the bill.  Many carriers use hyphens and other separators in displaying the account number on the bill.  When it comes to entering it into the porting screen, these separators are not to be included.  Only enter the numbers and letter (if any) and without spacing.  This is key.  For the account holder name, it is essential to enter the name exactly as it appears on the bill.  I have helped friends migrate who have hyphenated last names.  Sometimes serice providers do strange things when they enter the names into their system.  Leave out the IMEI and PIN fields as instructed.  These are pretty much the tips and tricks to ensuring a troublefree port. 

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Metal1967 wrote:

@Howiepm wrote:

Activated on Monday and decided not to port my wife's Telus prepaid number during activation.

My question is does it matter doing it during the day or evening? The process is automated right?

If something goes wrong does it mean the phone will be dead until it got fixed? I heard it could be days before it gets fix by the mods as they are very very busy lately. (Wife won't be happy without her phone Smiley LOL )

Thanks

@Howiepm 

You can initiate the port process anytime..be sure to enter all info correctly and things generally go smooth...for me 6 ports..0 issues

Initiate the port. Put the Telus card in your wife's phone. When her Telus card stops working it means that the port has been completed. Insert PM card and all should be good.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Howiepm wrote:

Thanks

@Howiepm 

You can initiate the port process anytime..be sure to enter all info correctly and things generally go smooth...for me 6 ports..0 issues

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Howiepm wrote:

Thanks

Ordered by paragraph:

1. It's not a newbie question. I mean we're sort of meant to answer newbie questions
  2. Okay.
  3. I highly don't think it matters. It's automated.
  4. Be prepared. Technically, having a temporary PM number will allow you to use the temporary number for part of the porting period, but there remains a possibility of your phone going dead. Ask a moderator (Can take up to 48 hrs, 1 message at a time) when required.
Need Help? Let's chat.