cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Shaw

ddean6232
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I just ported my number from Shaw Mobility to PM using the self-serve in PM (or so I thought) but it didn't come over to PM.  I tried doing it again but PM system now says it cant port the number.  I know the Shaw processed the port bc they sent me the emails to confirm.  I phoned the port number and now its says out-of-service.  What do I do now?  Thanks

28 REPLIES 28

@ddean6232 wrote:

Number doesn't show. Shaw SIM doesn't work any longer.

@ddean6232 then as already mentioned above, only the moderators can help you fix this.  I hope you hear from the moderators soon.  Please keep us posted.

@ddean6232 wrote:

Keep an eye on the envelope icon in the top right hand corner for a reply from the moderators.

ddean6232

@ddean6232 wrote:

Phone not locked.  Never was.  I was on PM with it before.  I'm wanting to come back...

Didnt get an error the first time I used the PM self-serve and it looked as though everything worked...  When I discovered that my text were not sending from my ported number then I tried to port again and PM basically stated that the number was already ported.  I dialed the port number and now the auto-operator says the number is disconnected.

Hi @ddean6232 it's probably PM trying to give you a hard time for going to Shaw without so much as a goodbye. LOL jk  Can you log in your self-serve account 

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

click the tab Plans & Add-ons. 

Plan and Add-ons.png

Do you see your phone number there?  If you do, PM has done its job and your porting is in progress.  Continue using your Shaw sim card until it stops working... then porting is complete.  Put your PM simcard and reboot.

Welcome back kotter!  1

ddean6232

Put the Shaw SIM back in for a moment, reboot and there is no service.  Put the PM SIM back in, reboot and the port number is still not setting up.??

Not sure what else I can do...

ddean6232

Thanks.  I have done that now.

ddean6232

Sorry 14:08MDT 

ddean6232

Yes, new SIM and new Activation

ddean6232

Try one or more of the below:

*rebooting your phone - Done, several times

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it - Done several times

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode -Done, several hours ago and several times 

*reboot your phone again - Done, several times

Thanks 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

fyi

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-sues-shaw-misleading-fibre/

Telus Sues Shaw Over “Misleading” Fibre+ Internet Advertisements

The internet wars in Western Canada are starting to heat up, as Telus has filed a lawsuit against Shaw in B.C. Supreme Court, alleging the latter’s recently launched Fibre+ gigabit Internet marketing is “misleading” customers.

According to Business in Vancouver, the Telus suit was filed on June 10 and focuses on Shaw’s marketing of Fibre+ as it’s not a true fibre optic service based on DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification), the same tech used for cable TV.

Telus says its PureFibre internet service based on fibre optic directly connects to a customer’s home, and allows for faster speeds and fewer outages compared to Shaw’s DOCSIS-based internet.

“Since Shaw’s ‘Fibre+’ Internet services do not use fibre optic cable to physically connect customers’ homes to the network, it is inaccurate and misleading to describe such a service as a ‘fibre’ or ‘fibre optic’ internet service,” writes Telus in its filing.

The Telus suit says, “For example, there is no difference whatsoever between Shaw’s recently-launched Fibre+ 300 Internet Service and its previous Internet 300 Service – these are exactly the same product, the only difference being the misleading ‘Fibre+’ nomenclature associated with Shaw’s Fibre+ 300 Internet Service.”

Other issues in the suit include the plus symbol in Shaw’s Fibre+ marketing, which Telus says it sends a message it’s a better offering compared to its own PureFibre service. Shaw’s “misleading” advertisements have caused harm and damage to Telus’ reputation, says the suit, with the latter seeking an injection on the former’s marketing of Fibre+.

Telus says Shaw needs to disclose it is “knowingly or recklessly made false or misleading representations to the public”, while also pay for damages, including lost profits and cost of the lawsuit itself.

Shaw told Business in Vancouver in a statement the company would “vigorously defend” itself against the Telus lawsuit.

“We are proud of our Fibre+ network – previously known since 2016 as FibrePlus – and stand behind its branding and strength. We call it Fibre+ because it is truly that: fibre plus more,” said a Shaw spokesperson.

@esjliv wrote:

@ddean6232 wrote:

Phone not locked.  Never was.  I was on PM with it before.  I'm wanting to come back...

Didnt get an error the first time I used the PM self-serve and it looked as though everything worked...  When I discovered that my text were not sending from my ported number then I tried to port again and PM basically stated that the number was already ported.  I dialed the port number and now the auto-operator says the number is disconnected.

@ddean6232 ,

*rebooting your phone

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Just making sure....you obtained a NEW PM SIM right? You said you were with Public Mobile before, so did you port out your number from Public Mobile? If that is the case you need a NEW SIM to reactivate another PM account.

@ddean6232 wrote:

@ddean6232 ,

*rebooting your phone

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

@ddean6232  you will have to reach out to moderators.

Open chat bot (message bubble) bottom right and type PORT REQUEST or send them a private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

They work for Public Mobile and can see what's going on. These forums we are all customers like you.

ddean6232

Porting submission happening at 2:08MDT.  

@Jb456 wrote:

I like their website. Guess they don't like Telus 😂

Spoiler
Screenshot_20201109_221221.jpg

Lol, do they even have Fiber lines yet? No wonder why...

ddean6232

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Easterners may not be aware that Shaw is the monopoly cable provider out west (like Rogers many other places) and they also offer "landline" service. The OP did not say Shaw Mobile.

ddean6232 said that the number was coming from "Shaw 'Mobility'".

I couldn't correct myself fast enough. Alas.

I like their website. Guess they don't like Telus 😂

Screenshot_20201109_221221.jpg

@Anonymous wrote:

Easterners may not be aware that Shaw is the monopoly cable provider out west (like Rogers many other places) and they also offer "landline" service. The OP did not say Shaw Mobile.

ddean6232 said that the number was coming from "Shaw 'Mobility'".

Anonymous
Not applicable

nvm

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

Hello @ddean6232 ,

Is your phone locked from the previous provider, get them to unlock it for you.

Where /when are you getting this error?

Continue to use the Rogers SIM until the port completes. Do not cancel your Rogers account until your PM account is fully ported.

Not likely. Shaw is a new carrier so if phone was from Shaw it was unlocked and if was a pre used phone it would have had to been unlocked to use on Shaw. 

I do wonder about if Freedom and Wind-locked devices will work with a Shaw SIM card without the need to unlock. I sure people over on other websites talking more specifically about Shaw services have tried.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ddean6232 , is your Shaw service deactivated?  That is an indication the porting has completed.  Note also port protection involves your previous carrier requesting confirmation that you are authorizing the number port.  Presumably you have completed this acknowledgement via the email you referred to.  In any event, your Shaw SIM card should still work until the number port is complete. 

This is the help article on port protection protocol.  Welcome to Public Mobile.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

@Jb456 , ah, yes, sure did - updated post, thanks!

@esjliv wrote:

Hello @ddean6232 ,

Continue to use the Rogers SIM until the port completes. Do not cancel your Rogers account until your PM account is fully ported.

Not likely. Shaw is a new carrier so if phone was from Shaw it was unlocked and if was a pre used phone it would have had to been unlocked to use on Shaw. 

@esjliv  I think you meant Shaw not Rogers 😄

Screenshot_20201109_220026.jpg

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Open the chat bot bottom right like screenshot below.

Type PORT REQUEST and follow the prompts.

Simon.JPG

Or send moderators a private message at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

If you signed up with a referral code for a $10 signup bonus the credit will be applied to your account within 72 hours.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @ddean6232 ,

Continue to use the Rogers Shaw SIM until the port completes. Do not cancel your Rogers Shaw account until your PM account is fully ported.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@ddean6232 wrote:

Hello all,

I just ported my number from Shaw Mobility to PM using the self-serve in PM (or so I thought) but it didn't come over to PM.  I tried doing it again but PM system now says it cant port the number.  I know the Shaw processed the port bc they sent me the emails to confirm.  I phoned the port number and now its says out-of-service.  What do I do now?  Thanks

Port takes 2 to 3 hours. If still not working by then contact a moderator.

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Choose the chat bubble in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.