cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Porting from Chatr

Hi there,

I'm intending to port over my existing number from a Chatr postpaid plan. Do I keep my current number while porting over to Public? 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Porting from Chatr

Yes, you can port over your chatr phone number.

For activating with PM online, it is suggested by others to get a new number during sign up. Once all functions are confirmed working with this temp. new number, you can port over your Chatr number using Self Serve.

Also note to not cancel your chatr account/plan before the port is confirmed successful or you will be in for a lot of headaches.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, you can definitely keep the number. Make sure to enter your original phone number when doing the Public Mobile Online activation. Below is the link I find:

activate.publicmobile.ca

Edit:. Nice try giving out your referral link.  Please don't do it again.  will13am

Highlighted

Yes, you can port over your chatr phone number.

For activating with PM online, it is suggested by others to get a new number during sign up. Once all functions are confirmed working with this temp. new number, you can port over your Chatr number using Self Serve.

Also note to not cancel your chatr account/plan before the port is confirmed successful or you will be in for a lot of headaches.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

You will need to keep your existing account open during the port.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

Highlighted

Yes, you can definitely keep your current number and port over to PublicMobile.
Be sure to check the "transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider" when registering your PublicMobile sim card 

Highlighted

Hey fujiyama, thank you! Will definitely keep that in mind. 

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The original number may be ported over to PM as long as the previous account is still active. Easiest way to do this is activate at a mobile retailer. Many encounter issues when porting online. I never had an issue when activating at a retailer.

Highlighted

@mingrenli wrote:

Hi there,

I'm intending to port over my existing number from a Chatr postpaid plan. Do I keep my current number while porting over to Public? 

Chatr does not have postpaid plans, but rather only prepaid. This destinction is important because this means that Chatr will not give any refunds for any unused portion of the current billing cycle.

I would highly suggest calling Chatr customer service to get your Chatr account number. When porting, use only the Chatr account number, but do not use either the PIN or IMEI.

Highlighted

@mingrenli wrote:

Hey fujiyama, thank you! Will definitely keep that in mind. 

You're welcome, also thank you for accepting my post as the solution! Smiley Happy

But please read the later posts in the thread as other posters have brought up important points that I did not include my original post.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

Chatr does not have postpaid plans, but rather only prepaid. This destinction is important because this means that Chatr will not give any refunds for any unused portion of the current billing cycle.ccount number, but do not use either the PIN or IMEI.

@mingrenli  And to clarify that a wee bit - given what @computergeek541  said, MAYBE you should port over to PM when you're fairly close to the renewal date of your monthly service at Chatr, so you're not leaving too much of your money "on the table".