cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting & billing

jojo9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Newbie here! Once I have ported my number to public mobile, does billing stop with my previous carrier?

7 REPLIES 7

@ernurse1972 

You are incorrect. Porting out a phone number automatically closes a single line account. It will not close an account with more than one phone number on the account. However it can cause problems if the account holder ports out their number without previously arranging for a new account holder to take over.

ernurse1972
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No, you still need to cancel service with the other carrier as either SIM card will still work.

@jojo9 

Correct. Until a provider recieves a confirmation from you they will not start the porting process.

jojo9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There's an unmentioned step, after you've made the calls to port. The old provider will text a Code, for security (to your port-from phone). You must enter that & text it back to them, before they'll cancel/disconnect billing. They release the number to PM to port/connect it.

@jojo9 

Once you port out your number to a new provider that will automatically cancel a single line prepaid or postpaid account. If its a prepaid account you are done with that provider. If its a postpaid account the provider will pro-rate the monthly plan amount and tally up any extra charges you may have incurred.

@jojo9 wrote:

Newbie here! Once I have ported my number to public mobile, does billing stop with my previous carrier?

While the old carrier will stop charging you for service on that phone number, any billing obligations to the old carrier still need to be fulfilled.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

yes, once they ported your number to PM, your account on the old provider will be closed as well

Need Help? Let's chat.