cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number when phone not available

catherine01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to set my daughter up on PM but she (and her phone) is out of the country at the moment, and she is using a local SIM card. If I get a PM SIM card and set up an account and activate the SIM, and port her number from our current provider, will it all happen, even though the SIM card has not yet been used in a phone? I am wanting to take advantage of the free 30 days offer that expires tomorrow, but she is not back until Weds.

10 REPLIES 10

@Nezgar 

When I ported my TELUS number to PM, after about a month they emailed me asking how I would like to receive the refund for a few $$. Takes a bit of time but they came looking for me.

AE_Collector

As mentioned by others, activating a new account with a temporary new number secures tge promotions for the new PM accounts. Don't forget to log into each new acco7ntvabd claim the two Christmas gifts from PM.

If there is the slightest chance your daughter may need her Canadian (Rogers) service between arriving back into Canada and getting together with you to get her new PM SIM, doing the new # activation before doing the port of her existing number keeps her old service working for her. Sounds as though that may mean you need to do the same for the last (main) number as well to avoid any mess-ups. But it is just a couple extra days that you are paying for service overlap.

AE_Collector

@catherine01 wrote:

We had four phones on the same Rogers account. I transferred two over yesterday all without any hitch. We have two left, my daughter's and the main one which is the phone owning the 'Share everything' data, so I need to hers first. 

You've got it! Do the "main" one last. I also switched two lines from one Rogers account this way. Without calling Rogers, I saw they still charged me for another month seemingly, but my lines were both missing from my "my rogers" login. The next month was a negative bill for the full amount. Not sure yet how I will get that credit...

Yes you do have to port the main phone last to avoid related charges from Rogers. You can do hers first. It won't make any difference to PM. You can test after both are done, or if the phone is unlocked, you can test her sim in your phone even before you port to PM. After the second port, your Rogers account chould close, but I might consider giving them a call afterwards to make sure.

@catherine01 wrote:

It is an iPhone 7. We had four phones on the same Rogers account. I transferred two over yesterday all without any hitch. We have two left, my daughter's and the main one which is the phone owning the 'Share everything' data, so I need to hers first. So again just to be clear, the SIM card doesn't need to be 'visible' on the network for the port to complete?

We are aware that she is likely to lose any text messages waiting for her on the Rogers account, but I don't think that is a biggie.

Sim does not need to be visible for port to be completed.  It is just nice to have SIM in a phone to confirm that port is completed.  You could put your daughter's sim in one of your family's phone to confirm that port is completed or just wait until your daught comes back.  

@catherine01 I tried to edit my last message but the system would not let me. The reason you set up the new number first is that it will allow your activation to happen immediately. The sim will then get activated and you'll get all the promos. I'd check to see if the phone is working at this stage. Just reboot phone and test.

Then you can port the number. If this takes a few hours, you will have the use of the new temporary number on PM and the old Rogers sim until the port completes. 

catherine01

It is an iPhone 7. We had four phones on the same Rogers account. I transferred two over yesterday all without any hitch. We have two left, my daughter's and the main one which is the phone owning the 'Share everything' data, so I need to hers first. So again just to be clear, the SIM card doesn't need to be 'visible' on the network for the port to complete?

We are aware that she is likely to lose any text messages waiting for her on the Rogers account, but I don't think that is a biggie.

Is it an Iphone 6 or later (5se, I know is ok too)? Yes, it will as long as the port goes through properly. It usually takes minutes, but can take up to 4 hours, and possibly longer. 

If you're going to move a phone you have over today. Do that one first, you can use it to test all the sims as the account is attached to the sim, not the phone.

Are they all on the same Rogers account or two seperate accounts?

catherine01

Thanks for the quick reply. It is an unlocked iPhone and on Rogers. Just to be clear, will the port complete as far as Rogers is concerned? We have two numbers left on Rogers, and I would like to get them both on to PM today.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@catherine01 Yes. Do you have a Telus, Koodo or Unlocked phone? You can make sure it works using any phone that's compatible.

Just activate online and set up a new number. Then port her number as a second step. That number will then be attached to the SIM, not her phone, and then when she returns, you put the sim in her phone and voila!

What kind of phone does she have?

Need Help? Let's chat.