cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number question

Gaf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I'm planning on switching over to public mobile later this week when my sim card shows up in the mail.  Now I'm not sure, but I can see the potential for a problem to arise when trying to port my current number over, so I though I'd ask before hand.   

Right now my dad and I are on the same plan through Roger's but I want to get my own plan through PM and he wants to stay with Roger's, but we both want to keep our numbers.  Now from what I've read if I port my number over it will cancel the plan with Roger's.  Does that mean that when I do it Roger's will cut him off too, or will his be left alone?  Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

@Gaf 

Dont worry about your dad's service getting cancelled or anything like that...rogers wants to retain its customers not lose them. Depending how much longer your dad has left in his contract it can be financially more economical to buy it out especially if it's six months or less left on it. There are also ways to delay making the final payment for the ECF (early cancellation fee.) Before he makes any changes have him consider the following :

1. Have him read his original contract (and any addendums to it since) so he fully understands his obligations and rogers terms of service. They are required to include the original price for his device, his monthly device subsidy, any incentives he might forfiet by cancelling early and the full amount of taxes to paid on its original retail price.
  2. The device subsidy is considered paid in full for each month regardless of how many days are left in the monthly billing period. So cancelling on day 2, day 20 or the last day of the billing period vs the monthly plan amount which is prorated.
  3. If your dad ported out his phone number with 3  billing months remaining on day two of the third to last month of his contract his final bill would be calculated as follows: His monthly bill is $90....$40 device subsidy and $50 plan fee. The monthly fee is prorated at $3/per day. 2×$3=$6+2 more months of the device subsidy 2×$40=$80+$6=$86
  4. If your dad ported out on the last day of the fourth to last month remaining on his contract he would have to pay the device subsidy for the last 3 months. 3×$40=$120
  5. Your dad would then wait for his bill to be issued at the end of his billing period in 28 to 29 days. He can then request a paper bill to be sent before he pays the amount owing. This generally takes at least two weeks to recieve. This gives him 6 weeks from the time he ports out his number to pay his bill.

A shareable plan is $75 p/m with the average device subsidy about $25. Depending on how many months left he has it would be cheaper to switch soon after you activate with public mobile especially if another promo comes along....3 months on your current plan will cost him $225 where as if he took the $40/5gb plan here it would cost him 3×$40=$120+ $50 (ECF)=$170 a savings of $55 not counting promos or the referral credit. I bought out the last 6 months of the bf 's phone at fido and saved $168 over 6 months after paying the ECF and doubled his data.

I

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gaf 

I see, then in that case you don't have to worry. Since he's still carrying a balance Rogers won't let him leave anyways lol. They won't close his account or change his number on him because you port out, that's extra work for them. Most likely some "backend" records will change, such as the account ownership will be in your father's name, etc.

You can ask also Rogers online chat to confirm if you want to have a record.

Gaf

@fujiyamathe reason he can't switch is he still owes money on his phone and doesnt want to pay it off all at once.  But it's ok, after I switch over to PM he wants to make a lot of changes to his account anyway.  So am I correct in thinking that once I port my number his account will just change in some ways, and then he can call in and sort it out?  I'm really only worried about his account getting canceled and him losing his number and having problems because he still owes money for his phone.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gaf : So your father is getting a discount on his line because of your line being on the same account, right? If you port out, his plan would revert to regular price, or maybe more if they force change it to an in-market one.

Why not get him to switch over with you? What's the reason for wanting to stay with Rogers? If he just prefers the Roger's network, there are other cheaper alternatives as well...

Gaf

@cellphoneuser1 well I called Roger's and they say my phone number is the primary because my line costs more, so there was no way to change it without messing with the cost.  What do you make of that?  Thanks

@darlicious  no problem, east coast helping the west coast. 🙂

@Naepalm 

Thx for the reminder about being a member before may 14th......and the slightly different spin on my post about porting......

@Nezgar regarding the primary number that could be a problem for some providers or maybe just your experience?

When I ported my BELL number out I was the primary account holder and my wife was secondary, I ported my number out first and the account was still active. Actually my account number with Bell doesn't permanently close, I can go back in and add services to that account number if I wanted. 

@darlicious 

Just a side note as well that friend that refers you has to have been a Public Mobile member before May 14th, it's in the terms 😞

------------

@Gaf I ported my mom's number recently and I found it more reassuring to use a Public Mobile phone number when initially setting up the account. Then get your phone sorted out after the SIM is active. 

1. Make sure your phone is unlocked.

2. Make sure the account your porting is still active.

3. Then Private message the Moderator team from here: --> Awesome Moderator team 

4. When you contact them you will need the name on the account if it is your Dad's give them that name, the account number from Rogers and the phone number.

5. They will complete the process really fast, but it can take up to 2.5 hours (that's what they told me when I ported) It actually took under ten minutes.

6. Then just wait and you will be all set.

Once you are up and running make sure to take out your old providers SIM, put in Public Mobile's. Restart your phone so that all the network settings reset and line up with Public mobile.

Have an amazing day!

@Gaf 

Assuming that your dad is the account holder then porting out your number  will just remove it from the shared account. If your dad is the sole account holder it will be his name you use when you fill out the port request along with your phone number and the account number.

Make sure your phone is unlocked (if its an older device/bought on contract) before you port over as is saves a lot of hassle. Double check that any port protection locks are removed prior to initiating the port and expect up to a 3 hour wait for your port to complete as rogers ports can sometimes take a little longer than the normal up to 2 hour port completion time window. Once you can recieve incoming calling you will know its a done deal.

Complete the activation process by 11:59pm et on may 31st if you are your friend's first referral as they will earn a bonus $20 referrers credit.....you will still get a $10 bonus credit. Enter the referral code about halfway down the first activation page. Be sure to clear your browser and use secret/incognito mode in Firefox, chrome or safari when activating to ensure an error free activation process. Welcome to public mobile!

There doesn't always have to be a primary or secondary number. That only happens on share plans. Not everyone has that. If both numbers have separate plans, none of that matters.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

As long as the "secondary" line is ported out from the Rogers account first, the primary line will remain unaffected.

Problems could arise if the primary number is ported out first, as you risk getting the whole Rogers account closed...

So hopefully your Dad's number is considered the "primary" number in the account.

Gaf

Good to know.  Thanks

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Gaf 

If both numbers on a family plan, your dad might have to change the plan at Rogers or it could affect discounts that he has.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Gaf 

Only the number being ported over from Rogers will be closed automatically. Your dad’s number will not be affected. Welcome to PM.

There is also the new online chat to help you with your activation.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.