cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number from TextNow

reggievenne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I activated a new Public Mobile account this morning and tried to port my existing TextNow number. 

I can now make calls and send texts and others receive them under the correct number.  But anytime they call or text back it would still go to my TextNow account. So I released my number with TextNow.  Now all phone calls just go to a recording saying the number is not available. 

I can still call and send texts from this number. Just can't receive anything. 

Is this just something that takes a day or 2 to sort out?  Or is porting from TextNow type accounts not really possible?

Thanks, 

15 REPLIES 15

@husseinAbdallah 

Porting from Textnow can take a couple of days.

@husseinAbdallah  Porting number from landland and VoIP provider could take 3 - 7 business days.

You might want to contact the Porting team for update (i can private message you the number) 

FYI, it's normal what you are experiencing when porting in progress, you can make outgoing calls and text but not incoming.  

husseinAbdallah

I have the issue right now, still Textnow work, I can make a call and send a message but cant receives calls. what can I do?

@reggievenne In order for porting to complete textnow must release the number to PM. By releasing your number you in fact closed your VoIP account and as a result not allowing the port to complete.

A port is 100% complete only when you are able to receive calls from that number.

Your options are call the VOIP provider and try to get the number reactivated or submit a ticket to PM and ask them to abort the port and give you a new number.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Here, I was looking for this

This is when I learnt you don't have to be paying member, just long enough with them to do it

This one was success too just took long time and had to talk to both sides

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-port-in-a-number-from-TextNo... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reggievenne 

This is a common thing with porting even from another normal cell provider. Incoming doesn't work until the port is complete.

I think you may have jumped the gun here. I think you need some graciousness from TextNow to reinstate your old number seeing as how it's also normal for voip services to take much longer. Were you a paid subscriber?

@reggievenne 

To port TextNow number you must contact moderators https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

You also have to contact TextNow customer support, find it on their webpage.

I believe you have to be at least 90 days with TextNow before they let you take their number

This one takes a bit longer

It IS definitely possible

reggievenne

Thanks for the help. 

I only released the number once my new account was active and I was able to use the number on my new phone. 

The reason I released the number was because I was able to call and text from that number under my Public Mobile Plan.  But all my return calls and texts were being sent to my TextNow account. 

I definitely still have my number. I am still able to call any number and it shows on the display as my old TextNow number even thought I don't have TextNow installed on my phone anymore. 

reggievenne

Releasing the number is essentially closing the account. I only did a few hours after I activated the new account with Public and was able to make calls and texts from my number. 

The reason I released the number was because I was able to call and text from that number under my Public Mobile Plan.  But all my return calls and texts were being sent to my TextNow account. 

I definitely still have my number. I am still able to call any number and it shows on the display as my old TextNow number even thought I don't have TextNow installed on my phone anymore. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Porting a number from landline or VoIP service will take up to a week depending on how quickly your previous provider will release your number.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

To port a number the account needs to be active. By Releasing the number and by the new message received it implies that the account is no longer active.  

You need to contact textnow and see if you can get the number back.  If/Once you get the number back then The port can complete can take a while .  You probably will might need to ask mods to do the port and wait a week or so for it to complete.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@reggievenne  what do you mean by release your number from TextNow, do you cancel it? Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reggievenne 

I've read of success with TextNow here. It might be that you have to be a paid subscriber with them. Not sure. It also takes much longer to transfer from voip services. You said you released your number from TextNow. That could be a problem.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@reggievenne @Hi porting a number from a voip service can take a week sometime this is normal you may have an issue if you stopped the process

Need Help? Let's chat.