cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number back to previous carrier

teahzanetti
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After I merged my phone number from my previous service provider to my new Public Mobile plan - it cancelled my previous plan and contract with Rogers and will charge my Family plan hundreds of dollars by tomorrow. Is there any way I could undo this and put my phone number back with Rogers? I was told Public Mobile needs to release the number back to Rogers.

16 REPLIES 16

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

You should get in touch with PM ,They will advise you on the correct procedure and account details to have your number ported out.

And who told you this?  People make decisions based on Responces/answers they read on the internet. So if you are not sure of something then please don't provide wrong information. 

FYI: Number Port out Request are always handled by the Provider you are going to. ALWAYS. You never ever go to the Provider you are leaving for Porting out. 

Dogbert

I've known someone else that made a similar mistake, but they signed up at a mall kiosk.

To get out of it; you'll need to do the following:

- contact your previous servicer provider

- ask to speak to a supervisor/retentions and see what they can do for you

As for the other person; the previous service provider compromised by doing the following:

- had them pay the contract breakage fee

- sign them up for a new contract and applied the breakage fee as a sign-up incentive

- also provide a small courtesy phone upgrade credit (very small, but better than nothing)

They are under no obligation to allow you to return, as legally you've broken the contract (your in the wrong); ask nicely and see what they can do.

If they offer nothing, then consider jumping ship to PM and enjoy the new savings.

@teahzanetti wrote:

I contacted Rogers as soon as I could, and after days of them trying to bring back my old plan they said the number now belongs to public mobile, and they need to release it themselves. The only reason I need my old plan back is because of the contract I had from my new phone, and I need the number back to fix this.

I susepct that you are speaking to wrong department at Rogers, although I cannot be totally sure.

People do often change their mind about switching to new carriers.  That itself isn't a problem, but the number porting does complicate things.

The fact that you have a Family plan at Rogers actually makes things easier for you.  Normally, you  would need to create a brand new Rogers account, but in this case, you will need to get them to open a new line on your existing Rogers account.

Do not let regular customer service do this.  What you want to do is specifically make sure that you are speaking to something that is called a winback/customer loyalty/retention departement. Certain people at the Rogers call centres are allowed to make old customers offers in order to keep them as customers, and sometimes will extend offers to customers who have already left.  Some of the people even in those "loyalty" departements may refuse to make an offer for you to come back because that number has already been ported out, but that's just when you have to try again with someone else.

Rogers is under no obligation to offer anything to get you to come back, but you can try.  As stated earlier, one of the key points here is that you have to talk to Rogers about all this.

When you're ready to eventually come back to Public Mobile, you'll have to start over again here.

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

You should get in touch with PM ,They will advise you on the correct procedure and account details to have your number ported out.

The carrier that the phone number is being transfered to is responsible for answering any number porting questions that someone may have and for getting this all done for the customer.

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

NO. The new carrier (Rogers in this case) contacts the current carrier (Public Mobile) to effect a transfer. Such transfer can only be initiated by the customer.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

@Jackhyf63  this is completely incorrect. 

mimmo

@teahzanetti  login to Self-serve copy your account number and name details.

Call Roger's have them activate a new line then they will ask for the porting info pm name and account number.

Port should be done in a couple hours. 

teahzanetti

Contract for my new iPhone

teahzanetti

I contacted Rogers as soon as I could, and after days of them trying to bring back my old plan they said the number now belongs to public mobile, and they need to release it themselves. The only reason I need my old plan back is because of the contract I had from my new phone, and I need the number back to fix this.

srlawren

@teahzanetti wrote:

it cancelled my previous plan and contract with Rogers and will charge my Family plan hundreds of dollars by tomorrow. 

@teahzanetti hundreds of dollars?  What for?  Is that a device tab balance?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lar

Get hold of Rogers right away and let them know you want to come back.  I'm sure they will be happy to keep a customer. When I ported from Bell the first phone message was Bell asking if there was anything they could do to bring me back.  Good luck

surreyboz

@teahzanetti wrote:

After I merged my phone number from my previous service provider to my new Public Mobile plan - it cancelled my previous plan and contract with Rogers and will charge my Family plan hundreds of dollars by tomorrow. Is there any way I could undo this and put my phone number back with Rogers? I was told Public Mobile needs to release the number back to Rogers.

You need to get in touch with your Previous Provider ( Rogers) tell them you want to come back and they will take care of the number port back to them.  You never go to your existing provider when you want to port your number out

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@teahzanetti wrote:

How do I port my number back to them?

When you re-activate your service back with them, they will need to port in your number using your PM account details (ie account#). I am not sure if Rogers is self-serve based or their rep suppose to do it. 

teahzanetti

How do I port my number back to them?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@teahzanetti You can port out your number back to Rogers as long as your PM account is active. In this case, your PM account will deactivate once port to Rogers is complete and you will not get any refund as this is a prepaid service. 

Need Help? Let's chat.