cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a business number and/or a toll free number

lax50
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been on PM a few months and so far very happy.  In addition to PM, I have both a business number as well as an 800 business number.  Both were ported to VOIP through our regular wireless provider (not Bell) years ago but now I am semi-retired and wondering if I can get rid of that expense and port either or both to Public Mobile? Neither of these lines are urgent and if there are ocassional outages, it's not an issue. It would sure be nice to keep one of them and save a ton of $$.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

@lax50Another thing I forgot to mention, you might want to reach out to the Moderators ahead of time to confirm they accept the toll free numbers because I remember reading that Bell Mobility won't. No point activating an account then they say they won't accept a number.

lax50
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the answers.  I'm with a small internet provider, so I am assuming they will release the numbers. 

Long ago, Bell wounldn't release business numbers at all but now that I'm not with Bell, I think I can do it.  I'll wait until slower business times and the few weeks is not an issue. 

The other problem is that the business lines are PLAGUED with calls from 'Google' (I know, not Google), so I'm sorta wondering about just ditching the numbers anyway. Our black list blocking on the VOIP line filled to capacity a few years ago and usually now those calls use a different number each time. 4 to 8 per day and now middle of the night too. GRRR!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@lax50 1800 numbers usually requires more paperwork.. ie letter of authorization from company etc. and longer it was a while back but it took 3 weeks? For 1800 probably it is best to use services like Twillo and then forward the call to the phone you want.. no point having 3 phones operating at the same time if you are not busy... oh and most of the time 1800 transfers will incur a fee from the releasing provider, they don't let you go that easy.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Other than these ports will take a few extra days to port, you shouldn't have much of an issue doing it.  If you're already happy with Public Mobile, why not go for it.

I'm not sure about the 1-800 number for porting, but a business line can't be too different from a regular number.

Need Help? Let's chat.