cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Rogers Home Phone # to a new PM mobile

canadian100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am planning to go with PM end of July and was planning to port over my Rogers Home Phone #. (Presume that would end my Rogers Home Phone service once the # is ported elsewhere.)   When I was speaking to a Rogers agent asking about porting my Rogers Home Phone # to a Rogers mobile, he said they cannot port a home phone # to a Rogers mobile.

I read some of the posts in this Community forum and there seems to be some issues about people porting over their Rogers Home Phone # to their new PM mobile - eg they can do outgoing calls and text from their PM mobile but apparently incoming phone calls still seem to ring on the Rogers Home Phone. (very strange!)  I would like to know if anyone has had full success in porting over their Rogers Home Phone # to PM mobile and their PM mobile works properly.  I would have thought service should stop completely on the old Rogers Home Phone but some posts seem to indicate otherwise.  So before I consider that porting, I would like to be sure this switchover will work "without causing me a big headache".  Thx

21 REPLIES 21

canadian100

@softech 

I am undecided at this point

@canadian100  you will get 1GB for $25 here...

so, you are staying with Rogers?

canadian100

Spoke to Rogers - no fees to end the Home Phone and the bundle fee reduction was only on the Internet and TV.  They offered me unlimited talk and text (no data) for $25 and they would port the home phone # to the mobile.

@canadian100  yes, pretty sure if you have Rogers bundled, taking away one item (Home Phone), you will loss some credit and the plan price would change

@canadian100 

Ouch they really wring every penny out of you don't they? I don't actually have a phone to plug in the wall but apparently I have home phone because you need a live line with telus for some reason but they usually throw it in for free when you have internet and tv.

Yes you have to be careful these days....when I last negotiated my rate with telus we came to a mutually satisfactory agreement that I had expressly stated numerous times during the conversation that i don't sign contracts. So when the rep said my agreement would not chsnge because I was locked into this price I sensed something was wrong....telus' definition of an agreement.....is a contract in my book! After getting the rep's manager on the phone I argued with him about agreements that are contracts.... Needless to say I got a good price but its subject to change with 60 days notice by telus. I agreed to that....

canadian100

Guess I will have to phone Rogers to confirm if I would have cancellation fees etc.

The monthly bundle discount is $20 - that is not significant since the cost of the Home Phone is about that amount and that cost would cease. 

@canadian100 

They won't cancel your other services they want you as a customer. But are you month to month or on a contract/agreement for bundled services?  You could lose bundling discounts or be subject to an ECF (early cancellation fee). So examine your account for any caveats in this regard.

canadian100

Along with my Rogers Home Phone, I have Rogers Internet and Rogers Cable TV - so guess I need to check with Rogers if this would be messed up if I transfer out the Home Phone # to PM but keep the Internet and Cable TV.  Would think Rogers would not cancel the Internet and TV even though it is under one Rogers account but anything is possible. Seems to be getting more complicated.    

@Gdou123 wrote:

I try to change it .but it's not working. So I just deleted. 

Change what????

Gdou123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I try to change it .but it's not working. So I just deleted. 

@canadian100 

They say it can take a week or so to port land lines. I assume you are not on a contract or agreement with the Rogers phone? I assume porting out would close the account but you don't want to be hit with a penalty if you are on a contract or an agreement. 

Make sure your Rogers home phone is paid up for a week or two. 

So get your self a PM Sim and set up an account with a number from PM. 

Then start the port process. That way you won't be without a phone.

You can start with the $15 plan and then change up if you need on your next renewal and there is a deal until July 31. See here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-Only-Today-2GB-of-monthly-bo...

And viola.....some time soon you will have your number ported. 

And just as a safe guard I would call and document Rogers to verify your account is closed and that you owe zero. 

If you have auto pay set up with Rogers, you may want to remove it in advance. 

edit: You "might" expect a call from Rogers to confirm the port. 

@darlicious 

I simply entered my bell account  number and name on the account during activation of PM SIM.

A few days later my number was happily ported over. 

Now, this was over 1 year ago. The sms texting authorization process became a bit stronger  with PM around  Xmas 2020.

It does say  the word 'may' text or email in the porting help article.  So I believe it is not 100% poked and prodded by the previous provider,  especially if it is a landline.

Screenshot_20210719-230616_Chrome.jpg

@esjliv 

How did you authorize your landline port?

@canadian100 

Rogers can be extremely picky about your address when porting out to a different provider. Be sure to confirm your exact address on file before attempting to port out. This is their number for fraudulent ports in case you encounter difficulties porting out.   1-877-327-8503

canadian100

Did Bell phone you on your Bell landline to get your authorization to transfer the number to PM?   Normally with a mobile # transfer the old carrier would send SMS to you to authorize, but obviously a landline does not receive SMS.  

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I would be very careful if you are porting land line. From experience, some authentication codes sent to 'mobile phone' will not go to phone number classified as 'land line' even though your 'land line' is ported to mobile phone.

@canadian100 wrote:

OK - the Rogers number does seem to be transferable.  Perhaps the problems occur during the 7 day period it takes to fully port the Rogers number over to PM - and one continues to receive incoming calls on the Rogers landline during that 7 day period (the PM mobile service does not receive the incoming calls until that period is over but texting and outgoing talk will work on the PM service. Interesting! Have to think about this......

@canadian100 ,

I ported a Bell landline, and yes, it took a few days. But that is perfectly normal.

Your Roger's landline will be cancelled when the port to another provider is complete.

@canadian100 

Unless there is a geographical issue where as telus does not have phone number exchanges in your area like in some parts of Newfoundland or north western Ontario then all numbers are portable as mandated by the WCC and CRTC.

Once you confirm the number is portable by using the link provided by @esjliv you can rest assured that you can port it to public mobile. Some issues have been reported by a few users but remember there are thousands of customers who have had no issues porting a landline from Rogers to pm. They don't normally come to the community to report everything went A OK....and if there are issues it lies squarely at the hands of Rogers who are not unknown to make it more difficult than it needs to be when they are losing a customer rather than gaining one.

When you activate an account unless you are porting it in to an existing account be sure to choose a new temporary phone number so that all of your services are working before you request the port of your landline which can be done within your self serve account's feature "change number". Landlines are supposed to complete porting within 48 hours however they can sometimes take up to 7 days to complete. 

You can find more info on the porting process here....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

canadian100

OK - the Rogers number does seem to be transferable.  Perhaps the problems occur during the 7 day period it takes to fully port the Rogers number over to PM - and one continues to receive incoming calls on the Rogers landline during that 7 day period (the PM mobile service does not receive the incoming calls until that period is over but texting and outgoing talk will work on the PM service. Interesting! Have to think about this......

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canadian100 : You might be thinking of the delay mentioned above. The number compatibility is a thing too. But passing that you should be fine. Yes the act of port completion closes the source account. Leave it active in the meantime. And give your self that week to port.

Don't forget a referral code to get the $10 credit.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@canadian100 wrote:

I am planning to go with PM end of July and was planning to port over my Rogers Home Phone #. (Presume that would end my Rogers Home Phone service once the # is ported elsewhere.)   When I was speaking to a Rogers agent asking about porting my Rogers Home Phone # to a Rogers mobile, he said they cannot port a home phone # to a Rogers mobile.

I read some of the posts in this Community forum and there seems to be some issues about people porting over their Rogers Home Phone # to their new PM mobile - eg they can do outgoing calls and text from their PM mobile but apparently incoming phone calls still seem to ring on the Rogers Home Phone. (very strange!)  I would like to know if anyone has had full success in porting over their Rogers Home Phone # to PM mobile and their PM mobile works properly.  I would have thought service should stop completely on the old Rogers Home Phone but some posts seem to indicate otherwise.  So before I consider that porting, I would like to be sure this switchover will work "without causing me a big headache".  Thx

Hello @canadian100 ,

Well, I don't blame you for being concerned if you are reading that, but I think you should be fine.

Check to ensure your number is transferable to Public Mobile (Telus, Koodo, same parent company):

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

If the number is good to go, I don't really see there being an issue.

If you port from a landline it could take up to 7 days to complete.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

If you feel you need to contact Public Mobile Representatives, these are the methods to do so:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Need Help? Let's chat.