cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Land Line

DallasL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife's Grandparents are moving in to our family's building, are thinking of getting a cell phone, and want to port their landline as they have had the same number for 50+ years.

Doing a search it look likethat is actualy posable now (which I didn't expect), it jsut takes a bit longer than usual to port (a week?). Is there anything to know or be aware of befor doing it?

11 REPLIES 11

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

After logging in to self serve, click on CHANGE PLAN and then select CHANGE NUMBER and follow instructions.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DallasL wrote:

@popping wrote:

Get a number from PM during activation. Test the service first - ie.call in and out. If they liek the service, then port the laanline to PM.

OK, I had read this on another thread. How does that work? Are you saying that there is a "Plan and Add-Ons" to change you number? I don't remember seeing that option befor.

Yes. Use the follwoing linkes 

[Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Transfer a wireless or wireline number ]

OR the "Change Number" link inside the "My Profile" box on the overview page after login.

@DallasL wrote:

Nevermind, I see it now!

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 9.33.15 AM.png

Changing your number has no fees? (on PM's end)

@DallasL  That is correct none of the mobile providers charge a fee for porting in. It's always free.

@DallasL wrote:

@popping wrote:

Get a number from PM during activation. Test the service first - ie.call in and out. If they liek the service, then port the laanline to PM.

OK, I had read this on another thread. How does that work? Are you saying that there is a "Plan and Add-Ons" to change you number? I don't remember seeing that option befor.

@DallasL  When you access selfserve the is an option of the landing page (under profile) called change phone number. You just select that option to initiate the port.

DallasL

Nevermind, I see it now!

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 9.33.15 AM.png

Changing your number has no fees? (on PM's end)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@DallasL  Also a good idea to call the landline provider and and ask if they can port out and if there is a fee to release the number.

DallasL

@popping wrote:

popping

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

popping

@DallasL wrote:

My wife's Grandparents are moving in to our family's building, are thinking of getting a cell phone, and want to port their landline as they have had the same number for 50+ years.

Doing a search it look likethat is actualy posable now (which I didn't expect), it jsut takes a bit longer than usual to port (a week?). Is there anything to know or be aware of befor doing it?

1.  Their number nust be active at the time of porting to PM.

2.  Get a number from PM during activation.  Test the service first - ie.call in and out. If they liek the service, then port the laanline to PM.

3.  3 piece of info needed to port a number:  landline account #,  landline phone # and name on the landline account.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

*Duplicate post**

Need Help? Let's chat.