cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a 647 area code number to Sudbury

Canadian321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I am currently with another provider, but I might be moving to Sudbury soon and was wondering if I could port my 647 area code number(GTA) to Public Mobile. Also, for anybody living in northern ontario or Sudbury, how is the service up there? Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Canadian321 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Canadian321, keeping your Toronto number is fine, but local to you businesses, friends, neighbours, and day-to-day calls will be expensive for those who do not have LD plans.

Will you have a local landline number people to reach you?

I think I will have a local landline, but assuming I won't, would I pay roaming charges when I use my phone FROM Sudbury with Toronto number to call/text people, or use data (since I would be away from my local area)? 

I really don't want to lose my current 647 number because I will be moving back and forth from there for a few years. 

Canada Wide Plans work from anywhere in Canada as long you are on the Bellus Network with out long distance or roaming or any other charges what so ever regardless where in Canada your Number is from. 

Also even if it was the case that there were long distance charges in your situation, you need not to worry with Public Mobile & Lucky Mobile Prepaid service there are no overages or pay per use charges. If something is not part of your plan or part of an add on you purchased it simply just wouldn't work. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue, but we can surely help you find a solution

In order to do so, can you send us a private message via the Community? Please click on this link: https://goo.gl/JnHqMR

Kind Regards,

Public Mobile Moderator Team

@Canadian321 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Canadian321, keeping your Toronto number is fine, but local to you businesses, friends, neighbours, and day-to-day calls will be expensive for those who do not have LD plans.

I think I will have a local landline, but assuming I won't, would I pay roaming charges when I use my phone FROM Sudbury with Toronto number to call/text people, or use data (since I would be away from my local area)? 

I really don't want to lose my current 647 number because I will be moving back and forth from there for a few years. 

As @Anonymous has mentioned, it's the people who are calling you from the area you are going to be (Sudbury) would be dialling a long distance plan, and potentially incurring charges to do so.  You can use your 647 number anywhere in Canada on the Telus/Bell network, but anywhere outside of Toronto, someone trying to call you while you are there (or in Toronto) will be calling long distance.

Keeping 647 mainly allows your current friends in Toronto to always reach you with LD charges.  Changing to local area code (in this case 705) will allow local telephones to call you at no charge, and you would still be able to use the 705 anywhere in Canada.  When you're back in Toronto, your calls locally will still be covered as unlimited, but if accept a call from your Toronto friends, they will now be calling LD.

An alternate solution, a WiFi calling app, such as Fongo, to get a free Sudbury number, to use with Sudbury friends.  Calling is free, texting would be a small monthly cost if you wanted to use the texting via Fongo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Canadian321 wrote:

No roaming charges for you (they don't exist here). It's all about people calling YOU. If you have a number that is long distance for THEM then it will cost them.

Edit: The outgoing calls for you are covered. (it's a little complicated with a province-wide-only plan).

Canadian321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@stonechucker wrote:

@Canadian321 wrote:

Hello, I am currently with another provider, but I might be moving to Sudbury soon and was wondering if I could port my 647 area code number(GTA) to Public Mobile. Also, for anybody living in northern ontario or Sudbury, how is the service up there? Thank you

You can definitely port your Toronto phone number to Public Mobile.  However, anyone calling you will be calling a Toronto phone number, even if they are beside you, and even if you are standing in Sudbury.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Canadian321 

Here is the coverage maps: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Canadian321 wrote:

Scroll all the way down this page and you'll see Coverage Maps. Find your location.

You can port any active number from any Canadian provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.