cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Number from VOIP (TextNow)

Dan25
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated my sim yesterday, and when signing up I was given the option to port my number. I chose to port my TextNow number and it was written that porting numbers can take up to 2 hours. 12 hours later, I could send calls but when i was called they were sent to the TextNow app. I assumed it was just not working properly, so I released my TextNow number. After searching some more, people have said that it could take up to a few weeks to actually port a number from a VOIP. Now, I can call numbers, but whenever I recieve a call the caller immediately is notified that the call was rejected.

I was wondering if the porting of my number was still being processed, or if now, because the number was released, if it wont work anymore. I have another TextNow number that I would prefer to use instead of making a new number, but I would really prefer if i could keep my original number.

If I can no longer port that number, and I decide to port my other TextNow number, what should I expect during the process? The fact that the process could take that long was not made clear to me when setting up my sim (up to 2 hours is what was written), and if it is common knowledge I wouldnt know, because this is my first time with phone service.

10 REPLIES 10

Sam999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i am facing same issue was this resolved? 

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dan25 wrote:

Ok thanks. I think you're right. I don't think it's worth the hassle to try and port my TextNow number, I think ill just get a new one. I appreciate your help here and on Reddit. Also, thanks for replying quickly. @popping too.

I was hoping your first number was still recoverable and just needed some info updated by the mods, but to be honest I'm not sure if releasing the number afterwards would have messed it up. Only the mods can tell for sure at this point.

If you do want to try porting the second number you could contact TextNow first to update the address (and ask them what else you need to port out) and that should help it go more smoothly?

Dan25

@DanielleMarie wrote:

@Dan25 wrote:

Yeah I am lol. What I meant by porting my other number was that, if this number is just not going to be able to work properly, I would leave it and instead port my other number. Maybe that isn't a thing that were allowed to do, but I saw an option on my account page where I could change my number. Again its my first time with service so I don't really know how it works. Thanks for linking me the moderator contact page, I just tagged them now 🙂

You can definitely try to port your second number but at this point there is a good chance the same issue will happen, which is why I recommend trying to fix the first one first. Usually with these VOIP ports the mailing address needs changed/updated or something like that.

Ok thanks. I think you're right. I don't think it's worth the hassle to try and port my TextNow number, I think ill just get a new one. I appreciate your help here and on Reddit. Also, thanks for replying quickly. @popping too.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dan25 

If your TextNow number is not too important to you, you can change get a PM number by going to self-server to [Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Select a new phone number]

Dan25

@popping 

Ok yeah I think that is prety accurate. The thing in my case is that I released my number on TextNow, so its no long a number that is affiliated with my TextNow account. I'm guessing this means that TextNow cannot release my number anymore? Its not ideal but its not the biggest deal if I cant. I just want someone to confirm that, if i released my number on TextNow, will the process of porting my number still continue.

DanielleMarie

@Dan25 wrote:

Yeah I am lol. What I meant by porting my other number was that, if this number is just not going to be able to work properly, I would leave it and instead port my other number. Maybe that isn't a thing that were allowed to do, but I saw an option on my account page where I could change my number. Again its my first time with service so I don't really know how it works. Thanks for linking me the moderator contact page, I just tagged them now 🙂

You can definitely try to port your second number but at this point there is a good chance the same issue will happen, which is why I recommend trying to fix the first one first. Usually with these VOIP ports the mailing address needs changed/updated or something like that.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dan25 

Porting a mobile number is quicker.

But porting a number from landline or VoIP service will take up to a week depending on how quickly your provious provider release your number.  It is out of PM control.

Is your TextNow number on your phone yet?

If yes, you can call out or send text using your PM SIM card.  All incoming calls and text message to continue to be delivered to your TextNow account until TextNow release your number to PM.

Dan25

Yeah I am lol. What I meant by porting my other number was that, if this number is just not going to be able to work properly, I would leave it and instead port my other number. Maybe that isn't a thing that were allowed to do, but I saw an option on my account page where I could change my number. Again its my first time with service so I don't really know how it works. Thanks for linking me the moderator contact page, I just tagged them now :). It may be the billing information that was wrong when I was porting. I read online somewhere that by default they set the billing adress to their adress at TextNow, so I'm hoping its just a matter of wrong information, and ill be able to use my number.

Dan25

DanielleMarie

@Dan25 wrote:

I activated my sim yesterday, and when signing up I was given the option to port my number. I chose to port my TextNow number and it was written that porting numbers can take up to 2 hours. 12 hours later, I could send calls but when i was called they were sent to the TextNow app. I assumed it was just not working properly, so I released my TextNow number. After searching some more, people have said that it could take up to a few weeks to actually port a number from a VOIP. Now, I can call numbers, but whenever I recieve a call the caller immediately is notified that the call was rejected.

I was wondering if the porting of my number was still being processed, or if now, because the number was released, if it wont work anymore. I have another TextNow number that I would prefer to use instead of making a new number, but I would really prefer if i could keep my original number.

If I can no longer port that number, and I decide to port my other TextNow number, what should I expect during the process? The fact that the process could take that long was not made clear to me when setting up my sim (up to 2 hours is what was written), and if it is common knowledge I wouldnt know, because this is my first time with phone service.

Are you the person from Reddit? If so I'm glad you got your community account working! Welcome!

But as I said there I think it's likely some info was wrong or missing so you're probably best contacting the mods. I recommend trying to fix your first number rather than trying to port your second!

For info on the mods and how to contact them check here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

Or you can open a ticket via SIMon the chat bot here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help

Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.