cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Landline from Yak communications

bibimohamed
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi:

I'm trying to port my landline number 416xxxyyy from Yak to Public Mobile. I am doing so as I am activating a new sim at PM. I am getting error messages.

I read some post on having a temp number while the porting is being finalized.

Can you advise the steps necessary to carry out the porting from Yak? Can I use a temp number in the interim until the number is ported over?

Please elaborate on this process.

Also, with regards to the Porting, please elaborate if I need to contact Yak and what I should inform them. 

As a final comment, the porting page that comes up when trying to port a landline does not seem accurate in the type of info it requests. This could very well be contributing to the problem.

Post edited by @stonechucker to remove phone number due to privacy requirements.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bibimohamed wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back. If I can sign up and use the temp number, I'll do that. Waiting for Mod to advise. 

That is the preferred strategy. Take a number and then port after. That way you know everything's working fine. But also many people port numbers with no issues. It's just safer to take a number first.

bibimohamed

Thanks for the heads up. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back. If I can sign up and use the temp number, I'll do that. Waiting for Mod to advise. 

@bibimohamed Just make sure that you keep your current landline active until the port is complete, if you cancel it/close your account then you can't transfer the number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bibimohamed

I hope you didn't change your number after trying to port. I hope you're just investigating your options before doing anything.

bibimohamed

Thanks. I'll await the Moderator. If I can use the temp number, I'll take that route.

bibimohamed

Thanks. I'll await the Moderator. If I can use the temp number, I'll take that route.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't contact Yak.  I would contact the moderator team once, and wait for them to take care of the port, because ports from VOIP providers take a little more attention.  You will probably not get any attention till Monday, so be patient!  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

You shouldn't post private information, this is a public forum.

Your best option is to register for Public Mobile with a new number, then you can use your account to change your number and request to transfer/port your old number, that way you will continue to have a phone. Porting a landline is possible, but it takes longer, I think the average is a week. You may be getting an error message due to your browser, try a different browser and private/incognito mode, most people find that Chrome incognito works the best.

If you are still getting an error message when you try to change your number you may need to contact a moderator to complete the port, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.