cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Gone Wrong & No Referral Credit?

mmp1990
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Mary_M @Brooke_C

Hi community!

I ported in my number from Rogers on Saturday, November 19 - at first it said activation failed, but my PM SIM started working on the 20th. However, my Rogers SIM is *also* still working, and after calling Rogers they say that no port-out request has been received from Public Mobile.

Can a moderator or admin take a look at this for me please? I am hesitant to ask Rogers to just cancel my Rogers plan, as I don't want to somehow lose my number.

Second issue: I listed a referral number when I signed up on the 19th, but the referral reward is not showing up for my friend. It'd be great if this could be double-checked as well.

I will PM my account details.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Amanda_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello,

We have sent you a private message. 

Thank you 🙂 

lychee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 wrote:
IMEI is not the minimum.  The minimum is any one of IMEI, account PIN, and account number.  There is zero advantage to providing more than one.

You're right. I forgot the exact phrase. The minimum is one of those 3 infos. I also had the same reasoning as you do about entering more info than necessary, because wrong info is worse than no info.

In my case, I'm not aware of any "account number", the old provider only use the phone number to identify the customer. Since that number must be specified in the porting process anyway, I didn't want to enter that same number as the account# to avoid confusion (and no info is better than wrong info). However, had PM provided a little tip about my provider requiring the authentication PIN, I would've done it right and the port would've succeeded.

@lychee wrote:

In my case, I entered only the IMEI, which is the minimum that was asked for, and in my case that wasn't sufficient. It's a shame that PM doesn't provide more guidance about various providers in that same porting page.

For example:

• If you port from Rogers: IMEI and account # are mandatory
  • If you port from Bell: ...
  • If you port from Wind: ...

In my case:

• If you port from Petro-Canada Mobility (Rogers reseller): IMEI and activation PIN are mandatory

IMEI is not the minimum.  The minimum is any one of IMEI, account PIN, and account number.  There is zero advantage to providing more than one.  Also, I have personal experience porting out from Rogers.  They most definitely do not need IMEI to approve an outgoing port.  I have always only used account number.  In fact, the more information that you use, the more likely a port is to fail because if any one of the pieces of information is incorrect (or mismatches with what the carrier has one file), the port will fail (even if the other pieces of information match fine).  Using just the account number, and only the account number, will provide the least amount of issues for the vast amount of porting requests.

Which IMEI to use can be unclear (customers changes phones multiple times, sometimes carrier only wants the original IMEI; sometimes they want the IMEI of the phone purchasd during activation; IMEI that carrier has on file doesn't always match current device, etc.)

For PIN, that is something that can be changed by customer service or the customer.  Customer service or the store employee can make a mistake when entering the requested PIN.  Customers can also forget the PIN or remmebmer it incorrectly.

The account number is the only absolute constant pieces of information that never changes for the life of a customer's account at a cell phone company.  There's no doubts about if it is correct or not and the customer knows that it is the information that will 100% match with the old carrier.

While the porting  rules allow for the customer's choice of using any one piece of those types of inrormation, I strongly beleive that both IMEI and PIN are only there as a fallback/failsafe just in case there's a situation in which the customer cannot get the account number from the old company.  Otherwise, account number should almost always be used.

lychee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How long does it take before you get an answer from a Mod? I reported a porting issue similar to this one and also PM'ed a Mod, but still no answer after 2 days.

My issue is about porting a number from a Rogers reseller:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Petro-Canada-Mobility/m-p/102200#M29366

In my case, I entered only the IMEI, which is the minimum that was asked for, and in my case that wasn't sufficient. It's a shame that PM doesn't provide more guidance about various providers in that same porting page.

For example:

• If you port from Rogers: IMEI and account # are mandatory
  • If you port from Bell: ...
  • If you port from Wind: ...

In my case:

• If you port from Petro-Canada Mobility (Rogers reseller): IMEI and activation PIN are mandatory

That would've saved a lot of customer frustration and PM's staff time.

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Do not ask Rogers to cancel, contact a mod and they will get it all sorted for you. 

Need Help? Let's chat.