cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported to PM, but only text works so far

roserobin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

At about 20:00 on 2019-01-10 we ported a pre-paid Speakout number to PM. We could immediatley call out and text out. I know it can take an hour or two for a port to get registered, but now about 9 hours later when trying to call that number we get immediately get "the number you are calling is not available at this time". Incoming text does work, just not voice calls.  The Speakout help says "when you port to a new provider your account will be cancelled" - implying that this is automatic, and clearly that account is no longer working since the voice mail system does not answer.

Have we missed a step? Or what do we do next?

9 REPLIES 9

roserobin

All seems to be working now. I originally used an incorrect PIN from my previous provider, since I had a single account with multiple numbers and thought I only had one PIN. I don't know if things are working now because when I phoned them to verify my info and told them I was porting they took some action, or whether it merely took an exceptionallty long time.  All OK now in any case.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@roserobin wrote:

but am still not receiving voice calls.

Did you receive a text confirmation of the completion of the port?

It sounds like you've done everything you possibly can, and will need to wait for the Moderators to respond, since only they have visibility in the backend...

roserobin

I have again tried a soft reset, and after repowering the phone I got a message to the effect of "new carrier settings are availble - update now?". I OK'd this, but am still not receiving voice calls.

roserobin

An no, all our other phones are also PM, and it is with those that I have tried to call the new one.

roserobin

It has been over 14 hours. I messaged a moderator  a couple of hours ago, but have had no response.

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@roserobin wrote:

Thanks for the clear description of the issue!  In my experience, this is quite normal and it's just a matter of waiting.

I'll bet anybody calling your ported number from TELUS/Koodo/PM mobile phones will get to you directly, and possibly even TELUS landlines.  Calls from other carriers will eventually reach you, but the "routing tables" (for lack of a better description) take time to ripple out to all carriers.  Usually it's fastest for the encumbent carriers, and slower for the VOIP and other carriers.

SMS "routing tables" seem to be updated much quicker, so what you're observing is very consistent with ports I've done from outside TELUS, especially from the smaller MVNOs like SpeakOut, PC Mobile, etc.

This is a good way of describing how the port works.  I would have suggested waiting for the propagation so to speak to complete.  But it has been well past the typical 2-4 hours that it takes for a cellular port to complete. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@roserobin wrote:

Thanks for the clear description of the issue!  In my experience, this is quite normal and it's just a matter of waiting.

I'll bet anybody calling your ported number from TELUS/Koodo/PM mobile phones will get to you directly, and possibly even TELUS landlines.  Calls from other carriers will eventually reach you, but the "routing tables" (for lack of a better description) take time to ripple out to all carriers.  Usually it's fastest for the encumbent carriers, and slower for the VOIP and other carriers.

SMS "routing tables" seem to be updated much quicker, so what you're observing is very consistent with ports I've done from outside TELUS, especially from the smaller MVNOs like SpeakOut, PC Mobile, etc.

roserobin

Thanks, will try that now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@roserobin, since incoming text works, it would appear the port has sort of completed.  You could try the lost phone/found phone toggle to give the account a soft reset.  Just go into the self serve port, select lost phone, log out, log back in a few minutes later and select found phone.  In the mean time, leave your phone off while doing the toggle.  See if this helps.  If not, then you will need to seek moderator team assistance to check the port and give the account a harder reset perhaps.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.  Welcome to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.