cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port phone number

jumckenna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I signed up with Public Mobile this afternoon and just got off the phone with my previous cell phone provider, Tellus who ported my phone number over to Public Mobile. What are the next steps? Thanks!!

12 REPLIES 12

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jumckenna wrote:

My phone is working with the new SIM card and number. I'm still trying to port my previous number and not sure how.

You will need your old service provider Account Number and PIN number, so have that ready.

Login to the Self Serve account, then:
1.Click on 'Plan and add ons'
2.Click on 'Change phone number'
3.Click on 'Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider'
4.Check to see if your phone number is eligible  

Ports typically take upto 2 hours, the max 3-4 hours. Anything longer typically means a failed port, in which case you'll need to contact a moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@jumckenna wrote:

My phone is working with the new SIM card and number. I'm still trying to port my previous number and not sure how.

You can do it by yourself...in your self serve account tab PLAN/ADD-ONS and CHANGE MY NUMBER...very easy..it could take few hours to be complete...if something goes wrong let the moderator know with a private message.

jumckenna

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Port in Public Mobile cannot be done through your current provider, it needs to be done through the Public Mobile Moderator team.

It's better to activate with a temporary number first, then do the porting later.

Have you activated your Public Mobile SIM with a new number?

@jumckenna wrote:

Thank you for all your help.

One more thing - I inserted my SIM card into my phone prior to activating it online. When I go to activate it, it says the SIM number is invalid. Please help!

Did you getting to the point of paying for you new plan?

Your plan may be already activated.  Test your PM SIM card whether you can call someone.

duffer900

@jumckenna wrote:

One more thing - I inserted my SIM card into my phone prior to activating it online. When I go to activate it, it says the SIM number is invalid. Please help!

You may need to contact the Moderators at this point.

you can send a private message to them by clicking here.

jumckenna

mik101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

To port your number you don't have to contact your current provider at all. You enter your current number in the online activation and Public Mobile will port your number and cancel your plan with your current carrier automatically.

In my case Bell even automatically issued my refund for the balance owing because my plan was cancelled right after a payment.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@jumckenna wrote:

Hello,

I signed up with Public Mobile this afternoon and just got off the phone with my previous cell phone provider, Tellus who ported my phone number over to Public Mobile. What are the next steps? Thanks!!

Telus does not set up the port to Public when you talk to them.  You have to get Public to make the porting submission.  

Is your Telus service active?  If active, go to Public self serve and request number transfer from other carrier.  Use Telus account number to port it.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jumckenna , here is how to contact the moderator team if you need to go that way: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

bishamon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jumckenna wrote:

Hello,

Hi,

When you activate your SIM card from Public mobile, there is an option to port the number from your previous carrier.  You should be going through that process if possible.

If you are unable to get it through the process, I would suggest contacting the Moderator team to help with the port.

ZfromVanC

have you gone through the online process of activating your sim card and setting up your account?

Sometimes it take take an hour or two for a number to port over, so keep using your old sim card until it stop working, then you'll know the number has been ported and you can put the Public Mobile sim card in your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.