cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port phone number from my friend that is moving?

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

My friend is moving out of province and will not be taking her TELUS home phone number with her. I would like to port her number to my PM account.

Can I use "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider" with her information and have the number ported to my PM account?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, there is also a checkbox on the porting screen, asking that you verify "I am authorized" to do the port.

@stonechucker 

Well...yes...but I also put in fake names and birthdates to say I'm over 18 for sites that ask. So anybody can check a box.

Well @Anonymous, by doing that, you're committing fraud.  That's on you, not Public Mobile, or any other site that you may do that on.

@stonechucker 

Exactly correct...which is my point. Maybe it should be a tad more difficult to transfer numbers around. Splitting spouses, splitting significant others, friends, neighbours, room mates etc could all get access to your account info to take your number out of malice. The company can simply say "well...you clicked the box and provided the info" and wipe their hands and call it done.

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, there is also a checkbox on the porting screen, asking that you verify "I am authorized" to do the port.

@stonechucker 

Well...yes...but I also put in fake names and birthdates to say I'm over 18 for sites that ask. So anybody can check a box.

Well @Anonymous, by doing that, you're committing fraud.  That's on you, not Public Mobile, or any other site that you may do that on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@stonechucker 

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for all the info everyone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well the Oracles have spoken but I gotta think one ought to be the actual owner of a number/account to move a number to another number/account. That both names ought to be the same. Seems to be a little open to fraud/theft.

Just need the name on the account and the account number and you can port.  Not just Oracles saying that.  Was able to do it with my Stepdaughters.  My wife was account holder and  we just ported out there number and names didn't match

Yes I was meaning that from the knowledge of Oracles.

I would still think it ought to be a little more anti-fraud but oh well it seems to be what it is.

@Anonymous wrote:

Well the Oracles have spoken but I gotta think one ought to be the actual owner of a number/account to move a number to another number/account. That both names ought to be the same. Seems to be a little open to fraud/theft.

Just need the name on the account and the account number and you can port.  Not just Oracles saying that.  Was able to do it with my Stepdaughters.  My wife was account holder and  we just ported out there number and names didn't match

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

The porting rules were beefed up because of unscuplulous telcos, specificly in the US.   The scam was, these lanadline telcos would port your number over to their service with the flimsiest of information.  A couple of months later, the customer would be billed on another pricing structure, at a rate much higher than they agreed to.  So regulations were put in place to make sure that practice stopped. 

When Canada was able to do ports, the Canadian telcos carried over many of the same policies the US adopted, but also engaged in anticompetitive behaviour to make it almost impossible to port one's number on the first try.  There was always some T that was not crossed.  That made most customers give up on the the port in frustration and stick with their old carrier. 

So new rules were put in place to make the porting process much more flexible.  Though arguably more open to fraud, I believe the current porting system strikes a much better balance of conveince and security.

@Anonymous wrote:

Matching names on both accounts are not necessary.  I even had a friend do one recently from an account in the son's dad name but to a new Public Mobile account in the son's name.

I do agree that number portability is far from secure.  I'm not even sure that all provider ask for the account holder's name for wireless-to-wirless number transfers.  This means that if a phone is found on sidewalk, someone could potentially port a number by just using the IMEI number of the found device.

The way things are set up now is largely for convenience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

yes you can port basically any canadian number as long as you have the correct porting info: name on account tel number and account name.  

porting the number will close their account and will overwrite your existing number.

@FrostyButters wrote:

Hello,

My friend is moving out of province and will not be taking her TELUS home phone number with her. I would like to port her number to my PM account.

Can I use "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider" with her information and have the number ported to my PM account?

Thanks

Yes, you can do this but you'll need her Telus account infromation - and her permission, obviously.

Landline transfers do take considerably longer than number ports from other wireless carriers.

Need Help? Let's chat.