cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port number to PM - partially completed?

FBR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did the "change number" from self-serve to port my number from Speakout to PM (after making sure the temporary PM number 236-xxxxxxx was working fine).  The self-serve seemed to take my ported number 604-xxxxxxx fine, but didn't give me any indication of success or failure.  However, I do see the ported number in my self-serve after a few minutes.

8 hours later, I received the following SMS from PM:

Public Mobile here: To complete your request to move to Public Mobile please go to Publicmobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. Please ensure you provide the correct account number from your previous service provider. 

------------

I can make outbound calls - caller ID shows my ported number 604-xxxxxxx.

I can send and receive SMS to my ported number 604-xxxxxxx.

I CANNOT receive inbound calls to my ported number - it goes directly to my previous carrier's (Speakout) voicemail.

I've contacted the moderator team already. But was wondering if anyone has experienced this "partial" porting situation before?

Thank you for any insight.

10 REPLIES 10

GEW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had similar issue from another carrier and am waiting to hear from the Moderator Team. How long does that usually take or do I start from scratch in the porting process?

@FBR wrote:

Resolved!

Thank you all who has helped.

Thank you moderator Celsina for fixing the issue.

Summary for speakout wireless porting in:

IMEI is the last registered device (as mentioned by @computergeek541 )

PIN: 4 digit number used when activated speakout SIM card

Account number: irrelevant or SO phone number?

They don't use account numbers, or at least for the purposes of number porting.  For future people coming from Speakout, I would skip the account number.  Some people have reportedly used the phone number, but in some cases, that might have caused more problems.  I believe that IMEI and PIN combined are key when porting from Speakout.

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to PM.

FBR

Resolved!

Thank you all who has helped.

Thank you moderator Celsina for fixing the issue.

Summary for speakout wireless porting in:

IMEI is the last registered device (as mentioned by @computergeek541 )

PIN: 4 digit number used when activated speakout SIM card

Account number: irrelevant or SO phone number?

FBR

@sandpublic wrote:

@FBR wrote:

Thank you for your reply. 

Since imei numbers are phone specific, I assume it's the first phone that was activated with my speakout number? (I've changed phones multiple times)

As for the pin, I guess I'll have to call speakout to find out... 

The confusing part is that I can send

The reason why you can send and receive sms, as well as make outbound calls with your speakout number is because the port has not been completed. Once the port is successfull it will stop working. In fact that is one of the ways of testing to make sure that the port was completed.

Thank you @sandpublic for your comment.

I should clarify the "confusion": I can send and receive SMS, and make outgoing calls, using my PM sim card with my speakout number associated.

I have since given the moderator my pin and IMEI, and am awaiting reply.

Thanks for your help again!

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@FBR wrote:

Since imei numbers are phone specific, I assume it's the first phone that was activated with my speakout number? (I've changed phones multiple times)

The confusing part is that I can send

The reason why you can send and receive sms, as well as make outbound calls with your speakout number is because the port has not been completed. Once the port is successfull it will stop working. In fact that is one of the ways of testing to make sure that the port was completed.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@FBR wrote:

I've contacted the moderator team already.

@FBR  Please keep us updated if your problem is solved once you hear back from the moderator team.

@FBR wrote:

The confusing part is that I can send and receive sms, as well as make outbound calls with my speakout number.

Ironically, the things that you mention are exactly why it is almost always best when porting from almost any other carrier to only use only the account number and to skip IMEI and PIN.

The IMEI should be the one that you have used most recently.  However, who knows what has been recorded in the Speakout system and if you provide an IMEI that doesn't match, the phone number transfer will fail again.

FBR

The confusing part is that I can send and receive sms, as well as make outbound calls with my speakout number.

That text message means that your number porting request has failed and that the originating carrier refused the transfer.

Ignore any references in that text message about any contact us or sim and activation form.  They do not exist.

Number porting from Speakout Wireless is a little tricky because they are looking for different verification information than some other carriers.  Speakout looks for both IMEI and account PIN before aproving such requests.

I know that you've already contacted moderators, but if you haven't already provided them with that information, they will need it to resubmit another number portability request for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.