cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port cell number from another provider

pmyan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new in public mobile, and not sure of the service timeline.

Today, I failed to port my cell number from another provider to public mobile.

After searching this coummity, I sent private message to the Moderator Team.

I am not sure of how long I should wait for response.

In the past time, I just needed to call service help and it got resolved within hours.

This is a new concept, and I have to wait and don't know about the next step, and therefore got frustrated.

Thanks...

16 REPLIES 16

pmyan

Same as you, thanks everybody for the advice and help.

The Mod helped me to port over the number successfully after about 24 hours.

For people who come from Petro Canada Mobility, here are what have to provide for a successful transfer:

(1) Petro mobility account number (i.e. your cell phone number)

(2) Account name (in my case, the account name for Petro and Public Mobile is the same.)

(3) PIN, which is 4 digitals

I also povided the IMEI of my current phone, but highly doubt it was used in the transfer, as I registered with Petro Mobolity with an older phone many years ago.

superea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey all, thanks for the responses.  A mod finally answered (pretty much at the 47 hr mark) and I've gotten my number ported over now.  Hopefully all is well from here.

@pmyanTelus probably wants the customers to upgrade to Koodo instead of sticking around with Public Mobile.

pmyan

Hope Public Mobile will be putting more resources and money to support the Mods. Longer waiting time in queue usually means more customers and revenue, but more work and stress for the Mods.

Mods work 7 days a week. However, there are instances where it takes longer than 48 hours due to the number of enquiries in the queue.

@supereaThe moderators work - Monday to Friday: 8AM- midnight EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 8AM- 10PM EST. I would say 48 hours not work hours. However do note the long service time is typical for the lowest tier in the Telus empire. It is cheap for a reason.

superea

I'm in the same boat as pmyan.  Contacted the mod on Sat to port my number and still waiting - almost 48 hrs now.  But it is a long weekend so I hope when people say wait up to 48 hrs, they actually mean 48 hrs, not 48 business day hours, which may mean I'll be waiting until Wed???

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pmyan wrote:

In the past time, I just needed to call service help and it got resolved within hours.

This is a new concept, and I have to wait and don't know about the next step, and therefore got frustrated.

Thanks...

You mean your initial Port Request Failed?   or did you Forget to initiate the Port Request?  If it failed then you have no choice but to wait but if you forgot then simply log into your Public Mobile self serve and put in the Port Request 

shangs

Will you get a message from the moderator once they poett the number iver?  I have been waiting for over 8+hours.

TIA

pmyan

Thanks Autumn for your message.

I will wait to see...

Autumn

When I ported my number over to PM, I didn't need to cancel my existing/old provider. When the process of "porting" completes and PM plan kicks in. My previous plan auto cancels and I just get a final bill.

Fingers crossed that yours doesn't take more than 24 hours to port. Don't forget to turn your phone off completely and turn it back on a couple of times.

pmyan

Thanks for your help. I will keep my old number for a while until the port-in completes.

@pmyan If neither SIM is working, you are stuck waiting for the moderators. Whatever else you decide to try, do not cancel your account with the other carrier; that happens automatically once the port-in completes.

Meanwhile, if you need to make phone calls try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or on cellular data).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@pmyan   try your old Sim card, if it still works use it until the port is complete! 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pmyan , the concept of now call center is what separates this service from others.  The wait time for moderators is variable.  In recent times, Public Mobile has not been able to keep up with demands and thus have allowed response times to be in the longer end of their target range.  So, expect up to 48 hour turnaround time.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@pmyan wrote:

Thanks...

Response time can be anywhere from 2-48 hours depending upon how many users are ahead of you in the queue.  Unfortunately, that's the downside of online only support.

Need Help? Let's chat.