cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port a Number to an Already Active SIM Card

DylanT96
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help!

I have a current phone plan with Fido that doesn't work well at a new workplace so I decided to buy a Public Mobile SIM with a new number so that my Fido account isn't closed while I'm just testing how well Public Mobile works here. I am quite impressed so far though. If I decide to make the switch, can I port my phone number from Fido to a Public Mobile SIM that already has a number on it? Or would I have to buy another SIM card and then port it to that new card? Thanks again!

5 REPLIES 5

Nathanbalbuena
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi! Yup, you can switch your number even after activating your sim 👍🏽

@gblackma wrote:

@DylanT96 Yes you can. Normally you would have been able to do it from within your self service account. However, now you have to contact a moderator to do it. Click on the green questionmar in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen. This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type "Port Request" and follow the prompts to get to one. Here is what is required to port  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

While the previously supplied info was correct, the part that @gblackma  mentioned above, in bold, was recently mentioned by someone from PM, that due to current system updates, that's the best way to get the deed done..... IIRC, typing that would potentially get your issue looked at quicker.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@DylanT96 Yes you can. Normally you would have been able to do it from within your self service account. However, now you have to contact a moderator to do it. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen. This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type Port Request and follow the prompts to get to one. Here is what is required to port  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @DylanT96 , 

You can definitely use your existing Simcard and port your fido number over to PM.

You do not need to change your Simcard. You will lose your current PM phone number though. 

Unless you want to keep your current phone number that you have with PM and also want to port over your fido number you need a new sim.

Follow the steps below to submit your port request:

Submit a ticket, start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon

• Click The "?" at the bottom right corner.
    This connects to the Autobot SImon.
  • Type "Moderator" and follow the prompts.

(CLICK on the " Account Specific Question " and afterwards click on "No, I want a human and you will see an "Submit a ticket Click me!)
           Type a message describing the problem

OR  

You can also >>>Click here<<< to connect with SImon and submit a ticket.

• You will need your Fidos account number, name on the bill

Cheers

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DylanT96   Yes you can port in your FIDO number to your current PM account.  Do it before your FIDO account closes as the port requires it to be active during the porting process.

However, you need the assistance of moderators to port your number so try this link to request assistance for the port:  https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Type in your issue, select contact us/moderators, then submit ticket when these options appear and follow the rest of the prompts to finish.

Need Help? Let's chat.