cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Scam

SydneyK
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, 

My number was ported to Public Mobile from my original provider by somebody else and it took one long day to get it back. What I really want to know is how this was possible to happen, how someone got my information, what the process and steps are, and how this could've gone through?

I need to know for sure that my number and personal information on here is completely suspended and removed from the database.

On top of that, I tried to submit a ticket and at the very end wanted me to verify by account, and it kept saying "username error" even though I completed the registration, confirmed, everything, just to send this problem in. I really really would hate for someone else to have to deal with the same thing I did today.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@SydneyK The account information won't get deleted. Public has to keep records. They didn't use your information. They had enough to port but that's it.  They likely used fake name and address.  Your concern shoild be how they got your account info. That's between you and your carrier. Also, your carrier has to do everything. You're their customer and they have a procees for this. 

@SydneyK wrote:

Hi, 

I realized looking back at my message that I didn't make it clear that my number was ported to Public Mobile and not from. So in this case, it took 4 rounds with contacting my provider; 800 number (line went dead), going to a booth, calling the 800 number again (worked properly this time), then going to the booth again. He was able to get the number back, and apparently locked my number for me so it can't get ported again. 

It was really rough, because I couldn't just quickly call a representative from PM so they could suspend the account ASAP. So, I still don't really feel like it's resolved until I know for sure I don't have that personal information here.

Hi @SydneyK I'm sorry to hear what had happened / still happening to you.  Unfortunately, things go a lot slower here on Public Mobile.  It takes 2 to 48 hours for the moderators to get back to you. I hope it doesn't get to this but if after 48 hours you have not heard from the moderators, send them a private message using this link.  Good luck!

If you don't mind, we would appreciate if you could come back and let us know what happens.  Take care 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SydneyK 

Porting a number need 3 pieces of info:

1.  Your number to be ported

2.  Your account number

3.  Your name on your account.

Now, you get your phone # back. 

Change your password, don't use your pets name for password

Don't use your name in your email address

Call your bank to put your account on hold ASAP.  The bad guy may be using your phone number to get pass the bank's 2FA and take money from your bank account.

@SydneyK  Google SIM jacking to get more info on how it's done and how to go about protecting yourself.

Since you got your number back you shouldn't worry about PM as that account was automatically closed.

You should be more concerned about securing your email, banking, cc and online accounts. Also do not use the same password for any of your accounts.

SydneyK

Only signed up to send the ticket. 

If I understand your question correctly, I didn't port anything, and I've had the same number for years. I did edit my entry though, I realized it didn't specify that the number was ported to PM instead of from.

SydneyK

Hi, 

I realized looking back at my message that I didn't make it clear that my number was ported to Public Mobile and not from. So in this case, it took 4 rounds with contacting my provider; 800 number (line went dead), going to a booth, calling the 800 number again (worked properly this time), then going to the booth again. He was able to get the number back, and apparently locked my number for me so it can't get ported again. 

It was really rough, because I couldn't just quickly call a representative from PM so they could suspend the account ASAP. So, I still don't really feel like it's resolved until I know for sure I don't have that personal information here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 

But then we hear of people getting SIM-jacked where someone simply takes your account by using their SIM on your account. It seems to me this can only be done by logging in to the account. So the crook knows your log in credentials...somehow. Bought somewhere? Dunno. I'm not a crook (wagging my double chin wagging my peace signs). After that it's a piece of cake to see your name and account number. Bam. Port out.

It's disgusting.

At least we can get some fore-knowledge of a port-out. The only knowledge we get of a SIM-jack is afterwards when the phone stops working.

This is why it's always suggested to change ones passwords on occasion. Just in case your previous credentials _were_ compromised and bought.

I hate crooks. Just leave everybody's stuff alone!!

HI @Pawprints1986 ,

Sorry to hear this. 😞

In addition to @Pawprints1986 's post, make sure you change your password and change you security question on your self serve account.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SydneyK...

when did you go through the PM sign-up process ? Did you port your number from somewhere else or is yours a new number ?

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Everybody can attempt to port a number, but to be successful they would need to get your information somehow.

There were instances where people mistyped the number and probably gave somebody heart attack by attempted transfer, eventually it will fail as the info cannot be correct.

The easiest way to get it is

If you post it publicly

If they can get a screenshot of a page containing it

If you use their WiFi they can intercept traffic

There are so many ways

Knowing your info from other sources too, like your receipts copy of old documents, stuff in your old phone or computer. You really have to wipe everything out

Many people put wrong information in their account on purpose so that port will fail

But if they make it into your account there is nothing you can do, they have all the info available. So if you leave your password anywhere or if you use a weak one you are at risk

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They've yet to implement any official port protection, but many of us avoid this by changing info in our account. You could put your name as "dolly Parton" for example and the port wouldn't go through with whoever it was as they'd be trying to use your legit name. Or go a step further and use special things like ğ or ð in your name, they would need to know your name and number exact as on here to port

Your actual billing info needs to match your CC to work properly, but your regular account info can be whatever you want it to be. Something uneasy for anyone else to guess

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @SydneyK 

Glad to hear that you resolved it

Could you please let us know how did you do that (did you end up talking to moderators) so we know if it happens to any of us

Thanks in advance

Need Help? Let's chat.