cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Number from PC Mobile to Public Mobile at Mobile Shop location?

nothingworks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Activated my SIM with a new number as was stated if currently with PC Mobile or  Koodo, then port number with moderators. 

Looks like I jumped the gun when I first read 'Up to two hours' to port. Seeing posts with 24hr+ for mods to repsond (Not their fault, assume just very busy) and even after that 48hr+ to port number for some.  

Can a Mobile Shop location do this? Would it be worth it?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

pagr45
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just moved from PC Mobile/Koodo to PM last night & did it at a Mobile Shop in our local Superstore.  I ported my number & it took a REALLY long time (I went & did my grocery shopping while the guy was on hold with a Mod!) but eventually it got completed.  My phone seems to be working well today (receiving calls & texts on the ported number) so I would suggest if you don't mind waiting a looooooong time (which you seem to be doing anyway), it might be worth popping into your nearest Mobile Shop or other PM retailer to see if they can get through to someone quicker than you.

UPDATE:  I ran into issues with my son's phone that I moved over from Koodo this weekend.  I went back to London Drugs where I purchased the SIM & was told that the only way a retailer can call PM is during activation.  When I asked about just getting a new SIM to see if that would solve the problem, I was told that I may end up getting 2 monthly charges for this month so the person at London Drugs advised sending a message to a Mod.  Still waiting after 2 days for a reply so my son doesn't have a usable phone right now.  I feel your pain! *sigh*

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don’t know what order the mods do it, but they’ll get it through. The other thing is, your daughter might want to make sure her employer has a backup contact number; PM is great, but its drawback is the long response time if something goes wrong. Smiley Sad Your phone can be down theoretically for a few days; not good in some situations. 

I wish I knew more; hope some of this helps.

nothingworks

She is going to use the PC Mobile plan till it dies, she is worried as it's the only number her employer has. 

I've put all the nessasary info in my message, do you think the mods will just port it when they can or will they respond before they do it? 

BTW I appreciate all this feedback I'm getting, thanks everyone

Gonzo

If you get a bill, that’s post-paid. I have a number on pre-paid PC Mobile (no service unless you pre-load a voucher on your account, charge at the beginning of each cycle, etc, somewhat like PM) and had considered porting it to PM. Decided against it in the long run and got another number with PM. 

So, if you are on post-paid, yes, it’s officially a difficult port and will need the mods, so that wasn’t a wasted effort. And as far as I know, your daughter can use the current PM number until the port goes through.

nothingworks

Ha, I feel so stupid. Post vs Pre Paid? Think I'm Pre as I get a bill in the mail then pay it?

I'm not in that much of a rush for this, it's the pestering daughter. 

Gonzo

If you were really in a hurry, then, I guess you could go back to the Mobile Shop, buy another SIM, and get them to port on the spot (if the retailer has access to a phone line for problem ports, that may be easier). Not sure if that’s possible, since you’ve already written the mods. 

Are you on post paid or pre paid PC Mobile? Does anyone on here knows if there’s a difference between them in difficulty for porting?

nothingworks

All I've done it set up a new account (Activate a SIM)

Seleted and got a new number (Site suggested to do so when coming from PC Mobile / Koodo.

Then sent a private message to the moderator team asking about porting my number

Have not got any response from the mods yet

@nothingworks wrote:

Thanks for the reply

Curious though, if the mods hanv't responded to my message have I 'started the port' with them yet?

Did you start the process online?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

nothingworks

Thanks for the reply

Curious though, if the mods hanv't responded to my message have I 'started the port' with them yet?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If coming from Koodo Prepaid the backend infrastructure is shared with Public Mobile and the moderators need to override something like porting request block. 

I'm not sure but assume that it's a similar limitation with PC Mobile (post paid, I think? Someone correct me if I got that last one wrong!)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@nothingworks wrote:

Activated my SIM with a new number as was stated if currently with PC Mobile or  Koodo, then port number with moderators. 

Looks like I jumped the gun when I first read 'Up to two hours' to port. Seeing posts with 24hr+ for mods to repsond (Not their fault, assume just very busy) and even after that 48hr+ to port number for some.  

Can a Mobile Shop location do this? Would it be worth it?

Thanks

If you initiated the port with the mobile shop they would have been able to call the moderators as retailers have access to this but as you initiated at home toy will need to wait

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.