cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor quality signal

ajerebic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I have only recently switched to Public Mobile and am finding the signal strength has been degrading.

Initially my phone could connect to the network easily and upon enabling data the signal was reasonably strong, usually 3-4 bars under 4G or LTE.  It was normally fast, stable, and reliable enough to use my phone as a mobile wifi hotspot so I could stream movies or download music on my laptop.

For the last 2-3 weeks however, I have noticed a significant decrease in the signal's speed and it is difficult to find a location in my house where I get anything more than even 2 bars.  Normally I only have 1 bar now and even though I am paying for 4G/LTE it often falls to 3G.  Due to the slow speed of the signal though it may as well constantly be 3G anyways.  Even though it may display as a 4G/LTE signal on my phone it certainly is not.

I realize that since I live outside of the nearest city and there are no hard-wired fast and reliable internet connections available in the town (all of my neighbours rely on satellite internet), and the nearest cell towers are some distance away, this is most likely the reason for the poor quality cell service.  Regardless, the fact remains that the signal has been getting worse.

I would like to know if there is something to be done on your end to investigate the signal strength in my area (Kingston and Battersea, ON)?  Can I receive a discounted rate due to the fact that often now I am unable to use the data I am paying?  Browsers and apps simply fail to open (no connection error) or lag-out and I am forced to close them and try again another time.

While Public Mobile's plan rates are better than other competition, they advertise they are part of the largest cell network (under Telus of course since it owns PM), I ask: What good is being the "largest" when the network doesn't work, can't be connected to, disconnects, or is so slow it may as well be old 56k dial-up?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

8 REPLIES 8

berrysmith

Strength can be high even though the quality is poor. I'm not sure if alignment could effect LNB outputs individually though - so that might be valid.

Fix Your Canon Printer Setup and Installation Errors at Out Canon Printer Support At Just One Call

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ajerebic one of our family friends had that same issue with trees surrounding their house. So we talked to the Internet provider to get the exact location of the tower then drew a straight line from the receiver on the roof and chopped down all the trees in the line and made a gravel feature/path so they wouldn't grow back. We did about 10 feet wide so branches from the other trees didn't grow in to fast 

koimr1

Although I suspect your problem is sketchy coverage because of your location, what phone (make/model) do you have?

Lower frequency cell bands generally travel further/penetrate structures better than higher frequency ones so if your phone is connecting on a higher frequency band because it doesn't support a lower frequency one that might be available in your area could be something to look at.

That doesn't explain why the quality dropped recently for you unless there was some change at the tower you normally connect to regarding the above.

ajerebic

Hm, alright, well thanks all for your comments.  Seems as though I'm kinda screwed then, at the mercy of whatever signal I get where my house is.  I will say that generally the signal strength has been better during winters (due to no leaves on the surrounding trees is my guess) so I suppose there's that to look forward to :P.

As far as I know my neighbours don't use repeaters or other cell signal-boosting devices.  They have no need to use cell data at home as they are lucky enough to get clear and reliable satellite internet service which they then relay via router throughout their homes.  This is something I tried for a time but the trees and topography around my place just don't work in my favour, the signal was terrible and unreliable.

Another option I have researched is home internet via cell tower (can provide a fast LTE connection) but the local company I want to use won't have their equipment installed until atleast this fall.  Unfortunately they are also the only company in the area potentially offering such a service.  I was hoping to use PM's service in the meantime but as I explained it has its issues.  Seems I may not have a choice for now however, have to ride it out.

Thanks all.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite I do the same thing. I think the towers sometime are too close and the phone is fighting trying to find the best signal. Also, they can get stuck on a tower that you are near and not pick up the closest tower that has better signal. So many variables that cause the issue. Too many to list. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ajerebic Yup, signal strength is variable. 

At home I just leave my phone set to 3G; it's significantly more stable. If I move just 100 feet down the road LTE is great. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ajerebic, I don't know of any carrier that offers a reduced rate for customers who have lesser reception at their locale.  If such an option exists, everyone would seek that solution.  There are only two major cell networks in this country.  Public Mobile is on one of them.  Apart from using a signal booster which can be costly, the only other option would be be consider the competition if this service proves to be unusable. 

jp2

You are correct public mobile operates on the Telus network so you will have the same coverage people on the Telus network have. 

I've heard downloading the Telus experience app is the best way to give feedback that the signal strength isn't good in your area. Unfortunately if you are in a low populated area it is unlikely they will make changes anytime soon.

Do your neighbours use signal boosters?

Need Help? Let's chat.