cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Reception SOLVED!

Binky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.

I just signed up for PM on Friday. I have had a lot of problems, but I did manage to solve very poor reception. I only had on bar lighting up, or sometimes none.  But when I went into the settings on my phone, I changed the network mode to work for 3G. On my SONY Experia, I went to "mobile networks", then "network mode"  and set it to WCDMA (preferred/ GSM). Now I have 3 or 4 bars lit!  Now, I just have to figure out how to receive calls without getting a busy signal...   I've sent a message to the moderators...

10 REPLIES 10

@Binky 

Glad to hear you got it working! 👍 

On the downside, after trying your info about solving the signal strength, which it seemed to do quite well, unfortunately, at least in my case, it ends up with my phone losing a connection to the service more than it usually does 😟, so I switched it back to "LTE/WCDMA/GSM".

Binky

The moderator helped me fix the incoming calls problem today.  

I hope it works for you too! ( I needed a little help from the internet because it was a bit different to do it on the type of phone I have.)

Here's what he told me to do:

Reset network settings on your device following the instructions below:

1. From the home screen, tap Apps > Settings > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset > RESET SETTINGS.
  3. If prompted, confirm your PIN or Password, then tap RESET SETTINGS again.
  4. Wait for the reset to occur.

[While contacting mods was suggested Network Reset is the Solution ............ Luddite]

Binky

Thanks for your suggestions.  The moderator contacted me quickly and everything is resolved!

@BinkyDid ou port your number? Was your account still active with your former provider? Your port is incomplete. You need to contact te moderators. If your account was active you can try the telus porting department  to see if they can complete it but only if your account was active and access to your pm account is not necessary.  1 877 868 3570. Prompt 1. English prompt 2. Representative  Have your old acct # ready. They can help or give you the status of your port while you wait for moderator help.

Binky

I just joined a few days ago and I have never been able to get incoming calls yet.  First when someone called they would hear "The customer is not available." But now it is just a busy signal.  My phone never rings.

Binky

Thanks. I tried that and it didn't make a difference.

@BinkyGo to settings. Turn airplane mode on.  Wait 10 minutes. Turn airplane mode off. Reboot phone. Test for busy signal. Working?

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Binky 

Wow, thanks for posting this info - I live in an area with LOUSY signal strength, and when I tried your tip, my signal strength was definitely better, even in an area of our home that often loses connection!!! 👍

My phone(an old Samsung S3) has 4 Network modes. It was set, by default, on "LTE/WCDMA/GSM", so I switched it to "WCDMA/GSM", which bumped up the strength. There's also "WCDMA only", and "GSM only", so out of curiosity, I clicked on "GSM only", and WHAT a difference - I usually get 1 bar at home, and a signal strength of about -115, and when I dropped it down to "GSM only", I got 3 or 4 bars, and a strength of about -85!!!

Yes,  Sometimes 3G has better coverage.  

YOu get busy signal when outgoing call or both out going or incoming?  

Did it start to happen recently?  

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Binky wrote:

Hi.

I just signed up for PM on Friday. I have had a lot of problems, but I did manage to solve very poor reception. I only had on bar lighting up, or sometimes none.  But when I went into the settings on my phone, I changed the network mode to work for 3G. On my SONY Experia, I went to "mobile networks", then "network mode"  and set it to WCDMA (preferred/ GSM). Now I have 3 or 4 bars lit!  Now, I just have to figure out how to receive calls without getting a busy signal...   I've sent a message to the moderators...

Yes, forcing 3G rather than 4G improves signal and internet speed for PM. Welcome to PM!

Need Help? Let's chat.